How do you get back the motivation?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
toshiroh

How do you get back the motivation?

Postby toshiroh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:40 pm

I first took the LSAT october 2012 and received a score of 158 after studying and working so hard. I was working full time and studying so it was often hard to fully concentrate trying to study after work. But here I am again, studying for a retake, and I've become so unmotivated. I can't even look at LSAT stuff without my brain venturing off. It's starting to tick me off, but working 8-5 and then studying from 6-10 6-7 days a week again is just daunting to me. So for anyone who lost motivation, how did you get it back?

Teflon_Don

Re: How do you get back the motivation?

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 pm

I had this problem when I scored my 160 in June. I took a lot more complete days off of LSAT during my retake. I think it helped a ton. When you get to that burn out feeling, stop looking at LSAT stuff for a day (knowing youll kill it the day after you break). I even had strep for a week when studying and lightly studied during that time, seriously time off matters. Have fun during your time off, dont do something stressful. Scored a 169 in Oct and I think breaks helped a lot. good luck

TatNurner

Postby TatNurner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Try the morning. I could never imagine studying after work because I am always exhausted. So I put in 2 - 2.5 hours every morning before work and do full tests on the w/e. I start at 8 too so I'm in bed by 930 the earliest in order to hit about 6 hours sleep. It will take some adjusting to in the first week.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:16 pm

TatNurner wrote:Try the morning. I could never imagine studying after work because I am always exhausted. So I put in 2 - 2.5 hours every morning before work and do full tests on the w/e. I start at 8 too so I'm in bed by 930 the earliest in order to hit about 6 hours sleep. It will take some adjusting to in the first week.

Wow... you know. I never thought about the morning, but that sounds like an awesome tactic. That way... I won't be so burnt out after work and doing test on weekends will most definitely help out. Lol it's a simple tactic that I never even thought of. Dude, you might have just saved me lol

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:19 am

TatNurner wrote:Try the morning. I could never imagine studying after work because I am always exhausted. So I put in 2 - 2.5 hours every morning before work and do full tests on the w/e. I start at 8 too so I'm in bed by 930 the earliest in order to hit about 6 hours sleep. It will take some adjusting to in the first week.

Great advice. I also work full time so by the time I finish work I'm usually too tired to do anything. Instead I decided to wake up an hour early on weekdays so that I can do some prep in the morning. So far it's working quite well so it is an option you may want to consider. I'm also retaking so I know the feeling of trying to motivate yourself again. When are you taking the test?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 am

Remind yourself this test is worth more than 4 years of college.

Remind yourself how bad you want it.

Youre studying for a reason. To put yourself in the best position possible to have a successful career. Its a big deal.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 am

I was going to take it in June... but this cycle is pretty much a done deal for me, So I might as well give Cornell and the other schools I'm applying for a better shot next cycle... so I'll be taking it in October again. Shooting for a 168+

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am

1. Take a few weeks off and get back to it.

2. It's a tightrope walk - you have to balance not doing more than you can handle with working as hard as you can drive yourself to work. If sitting down for an hour hasn't been working, try sitting down for a half hour. Then increase the dosage until the side effects come back. Continue to take breaks as needed.

3. For motivation, I used to remind myself how crazy it is that pro athletes can get paid millions of dollars per performance. I saw this as my chance to make $100k in one morning, and I don't think that it's a ridiculous estimate.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 am

We have really similar stories. I studied hard my first time and got a 158 too and then I hardly studied at all and retook on blind confidence and got a 161. Based on my PT's though (and I took a ton of them), I think on most days I would get around 164 at best. I know that everyone here says the LSAT is learnable but I really think that everyone has ceilings (because of the time-pressure element which requires you to think quickly) most of which are below 170.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 pm

DaRascal wrote:We have really similar stories. I studied hard my first time and got a 158 too and then I hardly studied at all and retook on blind confidence and got a 161. Based on my PT's though (and I took a ton of them), I think on most days I would get around 164 at best. I know that everyone here says the LSAT is learnable but I really think that everyone has ceilings (because of the time-pressure element which requires you to think quickly) most of which are below 170.

This is not a very motivating post, DR. :lol:

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Nova wrote:
DaRascal wrote:We have really similar stories. I studied hard my first time and got a 158 too and then I hardly studied at all and retook on blind confidence and got a 161. Based on my PT's though (and I took a ton of them), I think on most days I would get around 164 at best. I know that everyone here says the LSAT is learnable but I really think that everyone has ceilings (because of the time-pressure element which requires you to think quickly) most of which are below 170.

This is not a very motivating post, DR. :lol:

Hey, just being realistic. 8)

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:I had this problem when I scored my 160 in June. I took a lot more complete days off of LSAT during my retake. I think it helped a ton. When you get to that burn out feeling, stop looking at LSAT stuff for a day (knowing youll kill it the day after you break). I even had strep for a week when studying and lightly studied during that time, seriously time off matters. Have fun during your time off, dont do something stressful. Scored a 169 in Oct and I think breaks helped a lot. good luck

I'm encountering this problem right now. Scored a 162 on my first LSAT, cancelled my score on my 2nd, and am taking it this June. I studied pretty hard last month but I'm feeling burnt out right now (also am working a full time job + part time on weekend mornings). Maybe I'll take a day or two off.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:21 pm

OP, just quit your job if you truly want to be an attorney and assuming you have a high GPA. I knew that leaving my $60K job wasn't a big deal. I could easily go get another $55K job in my field at the drop of a hat. My former industry needs people that bad. So, I thought to myself: Why shouldn't I quit my job to focus on the most important thing I will ever do? I quit my job knowing full well that my backup plan is another type of graduate program, so the decision didn't stress me out that much.

I don't know your particular situation, but it is something to think about. Don't go through this cycle where you keep putting off the LSAT, because you don't have time to study for it due to job committments. Fuck that shit. Just quit your job. Take your best swing at the LSAT and move on with your life. You score high --> T-14. You don't score high--> do something else with your life.

By the way, it is not easy making it out of da hood. If it was easy, everyone would be able to do it. We are all struggling with the same thing as you.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm

toshiroh wrote:I first took the LSAT october 2012 and received a score of 158 after studying and working so hard. I was working full time and studying so it was often hard to fully concentrate trying to study after work. But here I am again, studying for a retake, and I've become so unmotivated. I can't even look at LSAT stuff without my brain venturing off. It's starting to tick me off, but working 8-5 and then studying from 6-10 6-7 days a week again is just daunting to me. So for anyone who lost motivation, how did you get it back?

I was in a similar situation to you, OP. The first time I took my LSAT, I got a 156, and was really disillusioned with the process. I had planned on going K-JD, but was burned out on school, and really wasn't feeling like studying for the LSAT again. So I focused on work and school, and took a job on a political campaign straight out of college (which meant I was working 100 hours a week). Over time, the LSAT became less daunting and I realized that studying wouldn't be that bad. I put in hard time studying for two months before the LSAT, and raised my score to a 167.

Now, I had the "luxury" of being laid off, and was in a situation where I could do nothing but study for a couple months. It sounds like you differ here. Given this, I'd advise you to take a break from the LSAT for a couple months. Pick it back up in July, and retake in December.

edit- You've probably looked at TLS1776's LSAT prep guide. But if you haven't it contains a useful section on motivating yourself to study.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, just quit your job if you truly want to be an attorney and assuming you have a high GPA. I knew that leaving my $60K job wasn't a big deal. I could easily go get another $55K job in my field at the drop of a hat. My former industry needs people that bad. So, I thought to myself: Why shouldn't I quit my job to focus on the most important thing I will ever do? I quit my job knowing full well that my backup plan is another type of graduate program, so the decision didn't stress me out that much.

I don't know your particular situation, but it is something to think about. Don't go through this cycle where you keep putting off the LSAT, because you don't have time to study for it due to job committments. Fuck that shit. Just quit your job. Take your best swing at the LSAT and move on with your life. You score high --> T-14. You don't score high--> do something else with your life.

By the way, it is not easy making it out of da hood. If it was easy, everyone would be able to do it. We are all struggling with the same thing as you.

Unfortunately, If I quit my job, I wouldn't have anything. Don't have parents to go back to, so yeah... not happening.. I would be homeless lol. So that's not really an option.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
toshiroh wrote:I first took the LSAT october 2012 and received a score of 158 after studying and working so hard. I was working full time and studying so it was often hard to fully concentrate trying to study after work. But here I am again, studying for a retake, and I've become so unmotivated. I can't even look at LSAT stuff without my brain venturing off. It's starting to tick me off, but working 8-5 and then studying from 6-10 6-7 days a week again is just daunting to me. So for anyone who lost motivation, how did you get it back?

I was in a similar situation to you, OP. The first time I took my LSAT, I got a 156, and was really disillusioned with the process. I had planned on going K-JD, but was burned out on school, and really wasn't feeling like studying for the LSAT again. So I focused on work and school, and took a job on a political campaign straight out of college (which meant I was working 100 hours a week). Over time, the LSAT became less daunting and I realized that studying wouldn't be that bad. I put in hard time studying for two months before the LSAT, and raised my score to a 167.

Now, I had the "luxury" of being laid off, and was in a situation where I could do nothing but study for a couple months. It sounds like you differ here. Given this, I'd advise you to take a break from the LSAT for a couple months. Pick it back up in July, and retake in December.

edit- You've probably looked at TLS1776's LSAT prep guide. But if you haven't it contains a useful section on motivating yourself to study.

I'll take a look at that guide. Thanks!

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 pm

toshiroh wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, just quit your job if you truly want to be an attorney and assuming you have a high GPA. I knew that leaving my $60K job wasn't a big deal. I could easily go get another $55K job in my field at the drop of a hat. My former industry needs people that bad. So, I thought to myself: Why shouldn't I quit my job to focus on the most important thing I will ever do? I quit my job knowing full well that my backup plan is another type of graduate program, so the decision didn't stress me out that much.

Unfortunately, If I quit my job, I wouldn't have anything. Don't have parents to go back to, so yeah... not happening.. I would be homeless lol. So that's not really an option.

Move to some cheap town and do substitute teaching. If you move to the middle of nowhere, there won't be any distractions. Or take a high paying part time job. You could make do with a $20/hr x 20 hours a week job. And get a roommate if you have to. Small towns have real cheap rent.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”