I feel odd...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
RELIC

Re: I feel odd...

Postby RELIC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:58 am

Huey Freeman wrote:Honestly, why bother with the super intense 175+ or bust LSAT prep? If a 163-165 or whatever is enough to get into HYS range, just make sure you PT slightly above it and go for it. I just don't see the marginal benefit of investing extra months and months into it when it realistically won't make a difference (except maybe at Y, and who knows what the hell they look for anyway). It's not like HYS is going to give you any more money, and it's not like anyone cares about your LSAT score the moment you enter a law school.

I dunno, I get that you feel oddly about it, but I don't get the motive behind gunning super hard for dat 180 when it's not really necessary. Life dealt you a good hand in this case - take it, enjoy HYS with a lot less LSAT prep.

This is such shitty advice. The more prep the better. You can be practice testing in the 170s but pull a 160 on test day. The only advice is to do your very best. Prep as much as possible.

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:04 am

RELIC wrote:
Huey Freeman wrote:Honestly, why bother with the super intense 175+ or bust LSAT prep? If a 163-165 or whatever is enough to get into HYS range, just make sure you PT slightly above it and go for it. I just don't see the marginal benefit of investing extra months and months into it when it realistically won't make a difference (except maybe at Y, and who knows what the hell they look for anyway). It's not like HYS is going to give you any more money, and it's not like anyone cares about your LSAT score the moment you enter a law school.

I dunno, I get that you feel oddly about it, but I don't get the motive behind gunning super hard for dat 180 when it's not really necessary. Life dealt you a good hand in this case - take it, enjoy HYS with a lot less LSAT prep.

This is such shitty advice. The more prep the better. You can be practice testing in the 170s but pull a 160 on test day. The only advice is to do your very best. Prep as much as possible.

You can take the LSAT multiple times. If you underperform the first time, then prep harder and retake. If not, enjoy the months of time you saved. OP has a certain number to hit be in at every school in the country...why invest way more time than necessary to hit that number?

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:21 am

Huey Freeman wrote:
RELIC wrote:

You can take the LSAT multiple times. If you underperform the first time, then prep harder and retake. If not, enjoy the months of time you saved. OP has a certain number to hit be in at every school in the country...why invest way more time than necessary to hit that number?

Because taking it a second time is a bigger waste of time. Might as well just put everything you have into the first try.

Also, you give the worst advice ever. You must be an idiot.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Irundistance wrote:Yeah, shoot for the top! With anything, including the LSAT, the effort you put in is what you'll get back in return. Just buckle down, dedicate yourself, and your going to do great. I'm starting my 5-month, full time study plan for the lsat in a few weeks; I know its going to be a task, but the reward is worth the sleepless nights, cold sweats, and whatever comes with LSAT prep :)

Good luck man, I'll be drilling all summer between work and a couple summer classes and all through fall until next June (Junior year) I'm rootin' for ya man! I'm sure with that level of dedication you should be able to do very well!

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:28 pm

:roll:

Please, just study as hard as you can for the first test so you don't even have to worry about the retake. No one knows what they'll even make when they walk in, so why risk tanking it because you get a boost for URM status?

Just go about it like you do everything else in life. Perform as if URM bias didn't exist.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Ehh.. only aiming for anything less than a 180 is inherently disadvantageous for a myriad of reasons. Besides, the higher the LSAT you score the better your chances are at everything (And with more $$$ in most cases) I'm going to study and drill hard all summer and through next June...If that doesn't get me a 165+ I will probably retake just to be sure. It is more than plausible to assume a 3.8, 165, AA Male URM will get get me in, however it is not 100% and I really want Harvard or Columbia... If I cannot get into a top program with $$$ not going...

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:31 pm

El Principe wrote::roll:

Please, just study as hard as you can for the first test so you don't even have to worry about the retake. No one knows what they'll even make when they walk in, so why risk tanking it because you get a boost for URM status?

Just go about it like you do everything else in life. Perform as if URM bias didn't exist.

Yes, exactly! Agree 100%

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”