A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Chowfun

Bronze

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Post by Chowfun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:47 pm

wbrother wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:AAs with 3.3/164 are getting into Columbia this cycle.

Yes, you're fine.
Only some of though... :cry:
Lol well I know not everyone who applied with those numbers got it, but it is good to know that people with those lower numbers did get in it makes me think I stand a chance especially if I raise my gpa. This would narrow my competition for African American females.

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:51 pm

TatNurner wrote:
janedope wrote:Question --

I thought that it was a different type of "bump" for AA Females as opposed to AA Males. I have no actual experience and could be talking out my ass but is that true?
Almost twice as many AA females vs. males so the competition is greater among AA females, resulting in a slightly lower bump.
I don't understand who the bump would be lowered. Do you mean they take in less AA females be cause the competition is greater? I can't imagine that there is a huge gap between AA women and men especially with the decrease in LSAT takers/ those who apply. I would also think the gap of AA females with high gpas would also be small. I mean you can have 100 AA women applying to Columbia but only 15% of them have gpas over 3.5 in combo with a 165+.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:34 am

Chowfun wrote:
TatNurner wrote:
janedope wrote:Question --

I thought that it was a different type of "bump" for AA Females as opposed to AA Males. I have no actual experience and could be talking out my ass but is that true?
Almost twice as many AA females vs. males so the competition is greater among AA females, resulting in a slightly lower bump.
I don't understand who the bump would be lowered. Do you mean they take in less AA females be cause the competition is greater? I can't imagine that there is a huge gap between AA women and men especially with the decrease in LSAT takers/ those who apply. I would also think the gap of AA females with high gpas would also be small. I mean you can have 100 AA women applying to Columbia but only 15% of them have gpas over 3.5 in combo with a 165+.
The bump is not "lowered" and they are not taking in less females. The females just seem to get a slightly lower boost because of the dynamics of the applicant pool. Eg: Last cycle there were 7K AA females who took the LSAT vs 4K AA males. That means more females with good marks, meaning not having to dip lower into the pool to hit diversity goals for them. Add on top of that the fact that females tend to do better in university than males (across most ethnic groups).

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Fri May 24, 2013 7:43 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Get your GPA as high as possible. At the 3.8+ range, you would be in really good shape. Sacrifice all of your social relationships, partying and your $8/hr part time job to get a good GPA. It is much, much easier to get a high GPA than to score high on the LSAT. Focus all of your energy on getting your GPA as high as possible.

Welp I listened to your advice, but I didn't quit my job, e.c's and I actually increased my social life. Lol i strived to enhance my gpa and I earn a 4.0 gpa this semester. It was hard, especially because I took all upper divisions, and most were research based courses. I have bumped my gpa to 3.75 and my lsac gpa is a 3.79. The lsac is what matters right? All I need to do is get a 4.0 again this upcoming semester and I'd be looking at a lsac gpa over 3.8.

Now as I prepare for LSATs I have cut off my social and work life. Lol

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 pm

I don't think anyone has really mentioned it-- but Columbia doesn't seem to be too fond of URM's based on all of the research I have done. I absolutely love the school, but I am not getting my hopes up of receiving a thick envelope from them. Columbia is probably one of the least friendly URM schools in the T-14.

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Fri May 24, 2013 8:21 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I don't think anyone has really mentioned it-- but Columbia doesn't seem to be too fond of URM's based on all of the research I have done. I absolutely love the school, but I am not getting my hopes up of receiving a thick envelope from them. Columbia is probably one of the least friendly URM schools in the T-14.
Well my knowledge and experience has been quite the opposite. I have a lot of family that have went to Columbia. All women. Also on the guide to being a black lawyer, whic I understand to be a reliable source, list Columbia as the 4th top school for AA law students out of 25. They have the 4th greatest black population for law students at 7.9%. It is preceeded by only Harvard, Howard, and Georgetown. Now I do take under the consideration that you may not be black... Lol, but I couldn't imagine it being any different for other URms :)

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Chowfun wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I don't think anyone has really mentioned it-- but Columbia doesn't seem to be too fond of URM's based on all of the research I have done. I absolutely love the school, but I am not getting my hopes up of receiving a thick envelope from them. Columbia is probably one of the least friendly URM schools in the T-14.
Well my knowledge and experience has been quite the opposite. I have a lot of family that have went to Columbia. All women. Also on the guide to being a black lawyer, whic I understand to be a reliable source, list Columbia as the 4th top school for AA law students out of 25. They have the 4th greatest black population for law students at 7.9%. It is preceeded by only Harvard, Howard, and Georgetown. Now I do take under the consideration that you may not be black...Lol, but I couldn't imagine it being any different for other URms :)
I am not black. I am Latino. I think it does vary by URM type. It is far more complicated than that. I know two people that ended up at Harvard Law (one actually got an MBA from there too). I am not surprised that the guide listed Harvard, Howard and Georgetown as URM friendly, but I am not so sure about Columbia. Can you list the whole 25 schools and more specifically cite your source?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Fri May 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Check myLSN Bizzy, 3.5+/165+ is auto admit at Columbia.

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Chowfun wrote:
Well my knowledge and experience has been quite the opposite. I have a lot of family that have went to Columbia. All women. Also on the guide to being a black lawyer, whic I understand to be a reliable source, list Columbia as the 4th top school for AA law students out of 25. They have the 4th greatest black population for law students at 7.9%. It is preceeded by only Harvard, Howard, and Georgetown. Now I do take under the consideration that you may not be black...Lol, but I couldn't imagine it being any different for other URms :)
I am not black. I am Latino. I think it does vary by URM type. It is far more complicated than that. I know two people that ended up at Harvard Law (one actually got an MBA from there too). I am not surprised that the guide listed Harvard, Howard and Georgetown as URM friendly, but I am not so sure about Columbia. Can you list the whole 25 schools and more specifically cite your source?
Your right I might be more complicated than that and I am not aware of it. I will put in the link: http://www.onbeingablacklawyer.com/word ... k-students

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Chowfun wrote:

Yor right it is probably more complicated than I let on or understand link: http://www.onbeingablacklawyer.com/word ... k-students

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”