A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 am

I have currently a 3.7. I'm striving to get out with a 3.8, I know I can do it. I just hit a setback.... I received my first B+ on an assignment this semester! GASP....I know I'm probably over reacting, but I was getting A on everything this semester and this one B has me shaking. So I need to know if a 3.8 is a good goal for a female URM and those choice schools. Should it be higher or lower? Is the gpa range the same for all students regardless of URM?

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:33 am

What kind of URM?

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:What kind of URM?


Black female. :)

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 am

3.7+/165+ for AA is very close to a lock at Harvard.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:54 am

Okay thanks! Ill still strive for better, but I do feel at ease that I don't need that 3.85 or better. Is that range also good for Columbia to? I'm assuming so, but I never like to assume.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 am

AAs with 3.3/164 are getting into Columbia this cycle.

Yes, you're fine.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:58 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:AAs with 3.3/164 are getting into Columbia this cycle.

Yes, you're fine.

ZOMG! Is this normal or is it because of the lack of applicants? I wish I was them. Oh and thank you for sharing this info.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 am

Both. AA URMs get huge bumps but also this cycle has been unprecedented in certain ways.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:14 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Both. AA URMs get huge bumps but also this cycle has been unprecedented in certain ways.


I hope this last for next year's cycle as well. When URM apply are they mostly competing against other URMs or everyone?

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 am

Other URMs, of the same type.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Other URMs, of the same type.


Ugh why didn't I know this?! ... Are leadership roles important? I do a lot of community service and kept the same student worker position for almost 4 years. I am in the honors program. I'm also in the honors society for my major. But despite all of this, I'm not a leader in any of them. Will this hurt my chances?

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

Soft factors don't matter much.

LSAT/GPA/URM - in that order.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Soft factors don't matter much.

LSAT/GPA/URM - in that order.


Thanks for the tips. I didn't know these things. You have been a big help! Is it best to apply early decision correct, to fair better in the running?

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Chowfun wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Soft factors don't matter much.

LSAT/GPA/URM - in that order.


Thanks for the tips. I didn't know these things. You have been a big help! Is it best to apply early decision correct, to fair better in the running?


No. dont ED anywhere. just apply early in the admissions cycle.

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:30 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:AAs with 3.3/164162 are getting into Columbia this cycle.



Fixed that for you. Therefore, I would disagree.. softs DO matter :D

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:43 pm

aiaea wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:AAs with 3.3/164162 are getting into Columbia this cycle.



Fixed that for you. Therefore, I would disagree.. softs DO matter :D


Your cycle's been awesome aiaea, real happy for you!

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:44 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Your cycle's been awesome aiaea, real happy for you!


Haha, thanks JRR. It really has been miraculous! :lol:

User avatar
janedope
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby janedope » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Question --

I thought that it was a different type of "bump" for AA Females as opposed to AA Males. I have no actual experience and could be talking out my ass but is that true?

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Get your GPA as high as possible. At the 3.8+ range, you would be in really good shape. Sacrifice all of your social relationships, partying and your $8/hr part time job to get a good GPA. It is much, much easier to get a high GPA than to score high on the LSAT. Focus all of your energy on getting your GPA as high as possible.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:08 pm

janedope wrote:Question --

I thought that it was a different type of "bump" for AA Females as opposed to AA Males. I have no actual experience and could be talking out my ass but is that true?


Slightly but they're the top 2 bumps by far.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby Chowfun » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Get your GPA as high as possible. At the 3.8+ range, you would be in really good shape. Sacrifice all of your social relationships, partying and your $8/hr part time job to get a good GPA. It is much, much easier to get a high GPA than to score high on the LSAT. Focus all of your energy on getting your GPA as high as possible.



Ahh...now the pressure is on. I just got my second exam back for a different class and I received a B. This has brought my grade down, I'm still in the A range assuming I receive a 100 on the homework assignments. Is have a 3.7 or a 3.75 all that bad or discouraging if it isn't a 3.8 plus. I'm going to try my hardest. I'm just a little nervous that if I don't have the 3.8 that would be a disadvantage on my part.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Chowfun wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Get your GPA as high as possible. At the 3.8+ range, you would be in really good shape. Sacrifice all of your social relationships, partying and your $8/hr part time job to get a good GPA. It is much, much easier to get a high GPA than to score high on the LSAT. Focus all of your energy on getting your GPA as high as possible.



Ahh...now the pressure is on. I just got my second exam back for a different class and I received a B. This has brought my grade down, I'm still in the A range assuming I receive a 100 on the homework assignments. Is have a 3.7 or a 3.75 all that bad or discouraging if it isn't a 3.8 plus. I'm going to try my hardest. I'm just a little nervous that if I don't have the 3.8 that would be a disadvantage on my part.


wont make a difference... it's going to be all about that LSAT score. without the right LSAT score, that GPA means nothing.

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby wbrother » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:17 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:AAs with 3.3/164 are getting into Columbia this cycle.

Yes, you're fine.

Only some of though... :cry:

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:21 pm

wbrother wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:AAs with 3.3/164 are getting into Columbia this cycle.

Yes, you're fine.

Only some of though... :cry:


Columbia reject you bro? Shit.

But don't you have like a fullie to USC or some shit? Nothing to sneeze at bro lol

User avatar
TatNurner
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

Re: A good GPA for URM to get into schools like Harvard/Columbia

Postby TatNurner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:36 pm

janedope wrote:Question --

I thought that it was a different type of "bump" for AA Females as opposed to AA Males. I have no actual experience and could be talking out my ass but is that true?


Almost twice as many AA females vs. males so the competition is greater among AA females, resulting in a slightly lower bump.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heluvsme23, Hi-So - ArshavinFan and 5 guests