URM 158 3.8x Can I get off Waitlist?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
heymom

URM 158 3.8x Can I get off Waitlist?

Postby heymom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 am

thanks for help
Last edited by heymom on Thu May 23, 2013 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PRgradBYU

Re: URM 158 3.8x Can I get off Waitlist?

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am

heymom wrote:Hello,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I am a black/Asian Male and have been placed on the waitlist of my dream school UVA (along with UPenn and Duke).
I was wondering do I have a chance to get off the waitlist? I am planning to write a LOCI and would visiting the campus help?

I cannot retake because I cancelled twice then ended up with a 158 (I know fail). So what do you guys think is the best way to get off the UVA waitlist? Is there a legitimate chance or should I accept BU with $114k scholarship or Wake with minimal debt at graduation (30k).

I want to go to UVA the most so I just want to know what you guys think will end up happening, is it worth waiting out all the way to July possibly?

For what it's worth, I have lived below poverty throughout my life, and do extensive volunteer work.

Thanks for the help much appreciated!

Holy crap, you're a URM with a 3.8x GPA? You should DEFINITELY wait it out and retake the LSAT. Law school isn't going anywhere. Aim for at LEAST the mid-160s and you'll be looking at a phenomenal cycle, including an acceptance at UVA.

heymom

Postby heymom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:37 am

PRgradBYU wrote:Holy crap, you're a URM with a 3.8x GPA? You should DEFINITELY wait it out and retake the LSAT. Law school isn't going anywhere. Aim for at LEAST the mid-160s and you'll be looking at a phenomenal cycle, including an acceptance at UVA.

thanks for help.
Last edited by heymom on Thu May 23, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 am

There is no personal reason that I can think of that would lead me to suggest you not wait. I would sleep in a box for the 2 years to have a crack at a cycle as a 3.8 URM. If you wait a year and retake, and do well, you will have your PICK at any school in the country.

heymom

Postby heymom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:34 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:There is no personal reason that I can think of that would lead me to suggest you not wait. I would sleep in a box for the 2 years to have a crack at a cycle as a 3.8 URM. If you wait a year and retake, and do well, you will have your PICK at any school in the country.

thanks for the help.
Last edited by heymom on Thu May 23, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:51 am

If you have personal circumstances which would prevent you from waiting for law school, how do they not hinder you while in law school and as a lawyer?

Wait the time and retake.

If that truly isn't an option, then I doubt you should be worrying about law school at all in this moment in your life.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 am

Exactly. Listen, I'm in the same boat, I'm about to sit out a SECOND full year from when I planned on going, but there is NO circumstance worth wasting your GPA, esp as a URM. You have an opportunity to do something really special if you just wait and retake. I would kill for your GPA. I have a strong suspicion if you think about what this serious personal reason is, you would find ways to get around it and wait out this year.

As far as UVA, they are known for the WL as a soft reject, and I'd be willing to bet with the number of WLs they hand out, the percentage of those who get called up is pretty low. You can ride it out and keep trying while you reprep, get a 170, and enjoy Yale.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 pm

heymom wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:There is no personal reason that I can think of that would lead me to suggest you not wait. I would sleep in a box for the 2 years to have a crack at a cycle as a 3.8 URM. If you wait a year and retake, and do well, you will have your PICK at any school in the country.

Thanks for your reply. I realize that a higher LSAT would open many more doors for me, but I was just wondering with my current situation what would be the best advice other than retake. Is UVA still a strong possibility?

UVA is not a strong possibility right now, no. Not with a 158. But if you retake and score at least a 165, you'll have a glorious cycle. Aim for the 170s.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Exactly. Listen, I'm in the same boat, I'm about to sit out a SECOND full year from when I planned on going, but there is NO circumstance worth wasting your GPA, esp as a URM. You have an opportunity to do something really special if you just wait and retake. I would kill for your GPA. I have a strong suspicion if you think about what this serious personal reason is, you would find ways to get around it and wait out this year.

As far as UVA, they are known for the WL as a soft reject, and I'd be willing to bet with the number of WLs they hand out, the percentage of those who get called up is pretty low. You can ride it out and keep trying while you reprep, get a 170, and enjoy Yale.

Even with a 170, you know Yale is unpredictable. An AA on this forum with a 3.9-ish and a 170 got dinged. H and S on the other hand would virtually be locks for a 170/3.8x/AA.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Spend the money on a LSAT class, improve to 165 hell try to get 170 and you are in Harvard easy peasie OR Lower schools w/ mad dough

RETAKE

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”