AA Male, LGBT, 3.62 Top-5 Public, Masters - LSAT Score ?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Nixon87

AA Male, LGBT, 3.62 Top-5 Public, Masters - LSAT Score ?

Postby Nixon87 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 am

Hello All,

I have a BA in Poli Sci (3.62) from UNC-Chapel Hill and a Masters in Public Admin (3.91) from University of Southern California. I co-founded a student org @USC and volunteer my skills for a few non-profits in LA. Currently work for a City in West LA.

I am curious as to what LSAT score range I would need to get into:

Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Penn, Michigan, Virginia, or Northwestern.

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated! :)

GW1010

Re: AA Male, LGBT, 3.62 Top-5 Public, Masters - LSAT Score ?

Postby GW1010 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 am

Nixon87 wrote:Hello All,

I have a BA in Poli Sci (3.62) from UNC-Chapel Hill and a Masters in Public Admin (3.91) from University of Southern California. I co-founded a student org @USC and volunteer my skills for a few non-profits in LA. Currently work for a City in West LA.

Hey! Based on my cycle this year as a fellow LGBT AA (and based on how other URM's have done), a 165 should be sufficient for all of those schools except Yale. You'll probably need a 168 to even be considered there. Good luck!

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 pm

GW1010 wrote:

Hey! Based on my cycle this year as a fellow LGBT AA (and based on how other URM's have done), a 165 should be sufficient for all of those schools except Yale. You'll probably need a 168 to even be considered there. Good luck!

I completely agree with GW's sense here, but would push that LSAT even higher. I think to get a sniff from Yale you're going to need a minimum 170. I found someone (URM) in your GPA range on mylsn and they ended up on the waitlist with a 177 :shock:

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
GW1010 wrote:

I completely agree with GW's sense here, but would push that LSAT even higher. I think to get a sniff from Yale you're going to need a minimum 170. I found someone (URM) in your GPA range on mylsn and they ended up on the waitlist with a 177 :shock:

Bear in mind that Yale's admissions system treats URMs strangely. Take, for instance, the 3L class right now. According to ABA statistics, there is only one black male. (I found this shocking, but then my yls tour guide, who was a black male, confirmed. o.o) The numbers boost given to black males by other schools are not necessarily given by yls.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:02 pm

I agree with what everyone's saying here. Yale is going to be a crapshoot unless you break the 170s (even then, they're incredibly unpredictable from what I've seen), but if you score in the high 160s, you should be in at most of the schools you're looking at. Good luck!

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Do your best man. Shoot for a 180. Literally. You want to get as much money as possible.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:28 pm

vzapana wrote:Bear in mind that Yale's admissions system treats URMs strangely. Take, for instance, the 3L class right now. According to ABA statistics, there is only one black male. (I found this shocking, but then my yls tour guide, who was a black male, confirmed. o.o) The numbers boost given to black males by other schools are not necessarily given by yls.

Shocking is an understatement for me on this one. I also wonder if at the end of the day there are other super elite schools that are more appealing for URMs even if they get the rare call from Yale. I remember a black male Yale admit from last cycle (uncommon or something was his username) and he chose H over Y. I think he said Y just didn't feel right for him.

Alas, I don't have the LSAT to even begin to think about Yale, so I won't be making this choice, but based on what I've gathered here, HLS and SLS both seem to garner major points from URMs. It seems to me folks have a really hard choice if they have to choose between H and S.

While we are here, I am wondering if anyone would like to speculate on what the right numbers would be to thread the needle at Penn or UVA and get a straight acceptance. You clearly don't want to score too high, lest you be waitlisted.

Nixon87

Postby Nixon87 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank y'all for your sage advice! :D Time to get after it!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”