Nontraditional Applicant/Diversity Statement Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
perplexedconfused

New

Nontraditional Applicant/Diversity Statement

Post by perplexedconfused » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 pm

I reached out to a school I applied to regarding me being classified as a nontraditional applicant, and she advised that I should write an addendum. I am assuming that I should write this more as a diversity statement.

I have been out of undergrad almost 6 years, and have worked for 8 years (majority full time), in one company, consistently moving up the corporate ladder almost every year since employment. My GPA is 3.15, and the purpose of this statement would be to indicate that I am a nontraditional applicant, but I am not really sure how to structure it. I could somehow reference that my GPA is relatively low due to my consistent employment? I really don't know.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I structure it as a diversity statement? I am totally lost on this, and it is kind of coming up last minute (my app is already complete but the school said they would add this addendum to my application).

NewYorkL

Bronze

Re: Nontraditional Applicant/Diversity Statement

Post by NewYorkL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 pm

I would state this as a diversity statement. An addendum, like the character and fitness section, should be the facts and the outcome. In your case, you should probably write an essay on why your credentials and experience as a nontrad student would benefit the school you want to attend.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”