URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Where should I attend? 3.7 GPA, 159, MA

UCI (full tuition PI fellowship, plus summer funding)
5
25%
USC (please read below)
4
20%
Reapply in two years
11
55%
 
Total votes: 20

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby eav1277 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 pm

I received my LSAT score today. I somehow managed to epically choke again. I scored lower than my last LSAT (159 last, 158 this time). I was pting 165-169 for the last 2.5 months. I expected a 160-162 lowest. Anyways, I'm shocked to say the least.

Despite this, I have two ok options that I'm currently considering. UCI full tuition public interest scholarship (mentors, summer funding, etc) or USC (half tuition). No stips on either besides good academic standing. Also, my parents have offered to cover COL. I'd only be responsible for tuition at either school

However, I am set to do TFA beginning next fall. So I'd be deferring. UCI will defer everything (scholly included). USC said they would try to match their scholarship amount from this year in two years (but I'm scared that by deferring I'd lose all leverage and get a low offer or no scholly at all). Thoughts?




Also, will schools look down upon the most recent, lower score? I am still waiting on a few schools.

I will also be retaking the LSAT one last time if I defer. I will study during the second summer of TFA for the October test. Sorry for the novel. Ultimately, I will make the decision that is best for me but wanted to hear other people's opinions.
Last edited by eav1277 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby wbrother » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm not sure how the deferral process works. Can you defer at UCI and then withdraw if your new LSAT score is where you want it to be? If so, I think you should try and do that. No reason not to lock in the free school at a (possibly) T1 school if you can always jump ship.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby eav1277 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:10 pm

I think the UCI deferral would be nonbinding (from my conversations with them so far).

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby eav1277 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Also, I think it'll be a T1 for sure (T1 is up to 50 right). Whether it'll get to the T-20's-30's where it wants to be is more debatable.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 pm

USC or retake and apply in 2 years.

User avatar
jetsfan1
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby jetsfan1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

If you plan on retaking, know you can do SIGNIFICANTLY better (high 160s), and will have TFA on your resume, you should be going T-14, or USC for full. I would reapply in 2 years. There is no point in deciding now when you know your stats will be significantly better in 2 years, IMO.

am8zing
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby am8zing » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 pm

.
Last edited by am8zing on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:03 am

Mexican American male. 3.7 gpa.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:15 am

If I am mainly interested in becoming a PD/DA or working for a community non-profit legal aid (had internships in the area), how much more debt would the USC name/prestige/alumni be worth (versus UC Irvine)? Or would graduating debt free be smarter if I know I want to go this route?

NoChainz
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby NoChainz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:USC or retake and apply in 2 years.



I did TFA, retake and apply in 2 years. Everything about your application will be much better than it is now, you will have added maturity and you will have the opportunity to take the LSAT another time with a longer prep period.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby DaRascal » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:49 pm

I voted for USC but I really think you shouldn't give up hope on getting into a T14 this cycle. Two holds and a T10 WL not to mention that Cornell can definitely happen. :P

am8zing
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby am8zing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Reapply in 2 years with a higher LSAT for the win. You can probably get some T14's now with your numbers. (I did with slightly higher LSAT and lower GPA).

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:51 am

reapply

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby Nova » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:reapply

This.

Scoring in your PT range would be a complete game changer. Attending law school with an LSAT score 7 points below your PT range would be very short sighted.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM School Decision. Help Appreciated.

Postby subtle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think you should reapply after a retake. You're gambling on something that may not happen. As much as people say that the LSAT is learnable (and to an extent it is), if you hit a wall, you hit a wall. Only reapply after a retake if you are 100% certain you'll be above those first two scores (and significantly so), and considering that you were PTing significantly above what you scored for the last 2 months, testing may not be your thing. Have you typically had problems with standardized testing? Also, as someone said, you may not be out of the T14 just yet.

Lastly, figure out the terms of your deferment. If you defer at a school, how many cycles would you have to sit out if you reapply and score significantly higher (after having deferred at said school)? If you only have to sit out a year, defer, take the test, if you don't do better (or much better) stay put. If you do do much better, reapply in year two of TFA. If you have to sit out two years, could you figure out something to do for a third year (obviously providing you score much higher)?

Anyway, I would figure out a way to hedge my bets.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A Poor Pianist and 4 guests