Deferral question

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
eav1277

Deferral question

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm

I was accepted to a school that I'd love to attend. However I am going to do tfA so i am either deferring or reapplying in two cycles. The school in question will defer acceptance but won't guarantee the scholly (claim they will try to match).

I am considering deferring but would be hesitant to matriculate if they didnt offer me the same amount of scholly or more. I would consider waiting out the future cycle and reapplying the year after if their scholly offer was not substantial (I am scared they could lowball me since I won't have scholly leverage from other schools).

do most deferrals bind you to attend for one cycle specifically? or are some vague and could technically last longer than one cycle? I have read many of the other deferral threads but wasnt able to find a definitive answer. Thanks for the help.

txdude45

Re: Deferral question

Postby txdude45 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 pm

eav1277 wrote:I was accepted to a school that I'd love to attend. However I am going to do tfA so i am either deferring or reapplying in two cycles. The school in question will defer acceptance but won't guarantee the scholly (claim they will try to match).

I am considering deferring but would be hesitant to matriculate if they didnt offer me the same amount of scholly or more. I would consider waiting out the future cycle and reapplying the year after if their scholly offer was not substantial (I am scared they could lowball me since I won't have scholly leverage from other schools).

do most deferrals bind you to attend for one cycle specifically? or are some vague and could technically last longer than one cycle? I have read many of the other deferral threads but wasnt able to find a definitive answer. Thanks for the help.

Schools will give you a set number of years you can defer. Most schools will give a 1 year deferral, but a lot will also give you that second year if you have a good reason. They also love people who did TFA, peace corps, etc, so the second year shouldn't be a problem for you.

I don't know if you can apply to more places while deferred though.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:57 pm

I think your concerns are understandable. Deferrals will depend on the specific schools and their policy. Wish I could be more helpful, but your deferral options will depend on whatever school you decide. Just be sure to carefully read their stipulations.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. Luckily the schools I am most interested will defer for TFA. Unfortunately, one of my tops won't defer the scholly. So idk how much of a gamble it would be to accept (since they might offer me less $$$). Does anyone have experience/info on USC deferrals?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:08 pm

I found this thread- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108139 but nothing on their website or admitted student website. It looks like it is done on a case-by-case basis, so I think you may have to call them to clarify their process/steps.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks bosmer. I guess I have a little bit of time to think this over.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Your welcome. Best of luck with your decision eav! I know it seems uncertain, but a good portion of the T1 schools I applied to have given me merit aid (likely because of my TFA service). Just wanted to add they do seem to look very favorably upon it!

NoChainz

Postby NoChainz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19 am

Here is a link regarding TFA and Law School partnerships:

http://www.teachforamerica.org/why-teac ... rtnerships

It lists all the schools TFA has a partnership with, their TFA scholarships and which schools allow two-year deferrals based on TFA. I believe all T-30 schools are on the list. All T-14 are for sure.

Also good luck, I'm closing in on my third year teaching high school and if I do wind up going to law school this fall I know I will miss it.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Columbia (I don't know if you've applied or even want to go) offers 2-year-no-questions-asked deferrals, and they defer your aid. It depends completely on the school.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 pm

I'd consider reapplying in two years instead. You'll have two years of WE and TFA is considered a pretty good soft. I think you'd do at least as well if not better than you did this cycle.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”