What should an 0L say to a judge?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
wbrother

What should an 0L say to a judge?

Postby wbrother » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 am

So I just found out a semi-famous, African American judge is coming to my undergrad this weekend as part of a multi-cultural career fair. He worked in the same field I plan to go into before he became a judge. Other than general information soliciting, would it be appropriate to inquire about the possible of interning with him 1l summer, or getting contacts from the office(s) he worked at before he became a judge?

mephistopheles

Re: What should an 0L say to a judge?

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 am

wbrother wrote:African American

this should change your vocabulary, oratory style, and mannerisms around him.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 am

wbrother wrote:So I just found out a semi-famous, African American judge is coming to my undergrad this weekend as part of a multi-cultural career fair. He worked in the same field I plan to go into before he became a judge. Other than general information soliciting, would it be appropriate to inquire about the possible of interning with him 1l summer, or getting contacts from the office(s) he worked at before he became a judge?

It couldn't hurt to ask him about the possibility of interning with him, although I might phrase it more as an expression of interest than a request for a job. I would chat with him for a bit first and see how receptive he is. Since he is coming to your school to talk to people I wouldn't be surprised if he was fairly receptive to talking to you at least and maybe putting you in touch with someone.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 am

Ask him what he likes to see in potential applicants; make it seem like you want to be the person he wants.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:58 am

mephistopheles wrote:

Lol huh?

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 am

mephistopheles wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about. I'm planning on asking him specifically about the AA experience in law school and the legal field how he thinks its changed, and advice for me (also being AA). I don't want it to sound like I'm asking to "hook a brother up" when I ask about 1L though. I'd like to think I have enough tact to not mess this up, but I've never really spoken with someone in his position.

edit: I'm assuming your comment was serious, though exaggerated.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”