How I can I turn an article into more acceptances/more $?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
wbrother

How I can I turn an article into more acceptances/more $?

Postby wbrother » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Hello TLS,

I just found out one of my papers is going to be published in a scholarly journal (probably a lame one you've never heard of). It's an article on how Grutter v. Bollinger hasn't actually helped law schools increase their AA numbers, so I'm worried it could go either way. Can I use it as LOCI material for schools I'm still waiting on? Can I use it as "please give me $" letter material for schools I've been accepted to?

law2015

Re: How I can I turn an article into more acceptances/more $?

Postby law2015 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 pm

You can probably use it as LOCI material but it will not get you acceptances or more $.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 pm

law2015 wrote:You can probably use it as LOCI material but it will not get you acceptances or more $.

+1; at one of the lsac forms, an adcomm told me that the publication must be prestigious to have any substantive effect, and even then some of those articles have no real effect at all. But you should send it in a loci, to at least show your commitment to legal academia

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:00 pm

vzapana wrote:
law2015 wrote:You can probably use it as LOCI material but it will not get you acceptances or more $.

+1; at one of the lsac forms, an adcomm told me that the publication must be prestigious to have any substantive effect, and even then some of those articles have no real effect at all. But you should send it in a loci, to at least show your commitment to legal academia

Yeah, I figured as much. I still wish I could've added it my resume/application before Berkeley dinged me. I feel like I'll never get over that one...

Oh well, thank you both for the quick response!

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:24 pm

wbrother wrote:Hello TLS,

I just found out one of my papers is going to be published in a scholarly journal (probably a lame one you've never heard of). It's an article on how Grutter v. Bollinger hasn't actually helped law schools increase their AA numbers, so I'm worried it could go either way. Can I use it as LOCI material for schools I'm still waiting on? Can I use it as "please give me $" letter material for schools I've been accepted to?

You should be more concerned as to why you're aiding in the arguments to overturn Grutter lol

But seriously send it in a LOCI but it won't get you any money.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

You should be more concerned as to why you're aiding in the arguments to overturn Grutter lol

Nah, it just means we need to overturn Bakke. I see you though, lol.
I'll definitely be using it as LOCI material, I just won't expect much.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 am

wbrother wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Nah, it just means we need to overturn Bakke. I see you though, lol.
I'll definitely be using it as LOCI material, I just won't expect much.

Best of luck bro, pulling for you.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”