AA Male URM needs advice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
GWU13

New

AA Male URM needs advice

Post by GWU13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm a male AA URM looking for some advice.

I just got done taking the LSAT this weekend for the third time and am hoping for a better result than my previous two times. My scores are 143 and 148 with a LSAC GPA of 3.3. I wrote an LSAT addendum explaining my history of underperformance on standardized tests and attached my SAT and ACT scores. My resume, letters of rec, personal statement, and softs (first in my family to attend college) I think will help my chances of admission, however, I wanted to get your guys opinion at my chances into a top 50 school. I have applied part-time to Fordham, Cardozo, America, Chicago-Kent, Georgetown, Loyola University of Chicago, GW (my current school), and Rutgers, while applying to a handful of other schools who do not offer part-time programs. Can you guys give me any insight into my chances of possibly gaining admission to any of these universities and other top 50 programs?

Thank you.

BlaqBella

Silver

Re: AA Male URM needs advice

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:41 pm

A few questions before answering your question:

1. Are you applying this year?

2. What were you scoring prior to the February 2013 exam? Can you provide a range?

3. In the event you score within the same range as your previous LSAT administrations, are you willing to forego law school another two years?

4. Please provide some information on HOW you went about studying for the LSAT for all three administrations.

Long story short: As an AA male, you stand to gain the largest boost amongst all applicants. If you can get that score up to even a high 150s some T20 schools are in your reach. Anything over 160 and you can break into the T14 range. Unless there is some dire need for you to attend law school soon, I would strongly advise you delay applying to law school, take a different approach to studying for the exam and score higher. You can also perhaps gain some work experience during this delay.

I would not advise you apply with a low LSAT. You'll be cheating yourself from attending a top law school because of a low LSAT score. The exam is very learnable. You just need the right tools and approach. Please do not apply to law school this year unless you score considerably better in February.

Keep us posted. You've come to the right place.

GWU13

New

Post by GWU13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm

BlaqBella:

I am thinking of applying this year, but i'm not sure if its the right move. I have consistently been practicing in the high 150s low 160s but seem to blow it on test day. I really don't want to have to take two years off and wait to apply again. I was thinking of taking a year off if this cycle doesn't go well and taking the exam in June and then seeing how everything goes from there. Another thought was I could possibly go to a reasonable school (top 50) and transfer afterwards even though that is something I do not want to do. I appreciate the help and look forward to seeing what you guys have to say.

TaxLaw2010

New

Post by TaxLaw2010 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

If you have not yet applied, I would seriously advise you to wait a year before applying. At this stage in the game, unless the other aspects of your application are absolutely stellar, you will probably be wait listed at best, if not flat out rejected. If you do decide to apply, I would definitely look at part time programs over full time programs. The admission requirements for some of the part time programs tend to be a little more lenient than their full time counterparts. Just my two cents.

GWU13

New

Post by GWU13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 pm

TaxLaw2010 wrote:If you have not yet applied, I would seriously advise you to wait a year before applying. At this stage in the game, unless the other aspects of your application are absolutely stellar, you will probably be wait listed at best, if not flat out rejected. If you do decide to apply, I would definitely look at part time programs over full time programs. The admission requirements for some of the part time programs tend to be a little more lenient than their full time counterparts. Just my two cents.
To most of the schools i'm applying to its for part-time admission. I would say that the rest of my application is stellar. I am the first in my family to ever attend college, I come from a single-family home, great resume, letters of rec, and personal statement. I think that all of these really add to my application.

GWU13

New

Post by GWU13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 pm

All my applications are already submitted they are just on hold because of the february lsat. Would you suggest I take my chances with my scores now or wait? The part-time schools that i'm applying to are GW, Chicago-Kent, Loyola Chicago, Depaul, Hofstra, Case Western, Seton Hall, and others.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:57 pm

GWU13 wrote:BlaqBella:

I am thinking of applying this year, but i'm not sure if its the right move. I have consistently been practicing in the high 150s low 160s but seem to blow it on test day. I really don't want to have to take two years off and wait to apply again. I was thinking of taking a year off if this cycle doesn't go well and taking the exam in June and then seeing how everything goes from there. Another thought was I could possibly go to a reasonable school (top 50) and transfer afterwards even though that is something I do not want to do. I appreciate the help and look forward to seeing what you guys have to say.
I believe you're allowed a limit of three LSAT administrations every two years. Did you take the other two LSATs within the past two years?

GWU13

New

Post by GWU13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

I believe you're allowed a limit of three LSAT administrations every two years. Did you take the other two LSATs within the past two years?
Yeah, but I can always appeal the decision correct?

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 pm

GWU13 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Yeah, but I can always appeal the decision correct?
Yes, but that is to their discretion, assuming your case qualifies as a "significant extenuating circumstance". Don't go about assuming you will win the appeal.

Depending on how you do in February you may have no choice but to push back. I'm hoping you crack into the 150s or higher, that way, we can better advise on which schools to apply to. As it stands, the 148 limits you to some poor schools. You should not attend law school in hopes of transferring after 1L.

What type of career do you plan on pursuing? If corporate law/law firm, wait it out. If public interest, add Howard University to your list.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:33 pm

GWU13 wrote:I'm a male AA URM looking for some advice.

I just got done taking the LSAT this weekend for the third time and am hoping for a better result than my previous two times. My scores are 143 and 148 with a LSAC GPA of 3.3. I wrote an LSAT addendum explaining my history of underperformance on standardized tests and attached my SAT and ACT scores. My resume, letters of rec, personal statement, and softs (first in my family to attend college) I think will help my chances of admission, however, I wanted to get your guys opinion at my chances into a top 50 school. I have applied part-time to Fordham, Cardozo, America, Chicago-Kent, Georgetown, Loyola University of Chicago, GW (my current school), and Rutgers, while applying to a handful of other schools who do not offer part-time programs. Can you guys give me any insight into my chances of possibly gaining admission to any of these universities and other top 50 programs?

Thank you.
LSAT addendum won't work unless your UG GPA is very high (I would say at least 3.7). History of underperformance addendum only works when you perform poorly on standardized tests but still performed very well in school. This means that standardized tests are not a good performance predictor for you. If you did performed very well in your UG institution but somehow ended having a 3.3 LSAC GPA you need to address that too. Also, you should somehow show (if it's true) that you perform well on written tests because LS are interested in admitting students that will pass the Bar exam.

TaxLaw2010

New

Post by TaxLaw2010 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:45 pm

GWU13 wrote:
TaxLaw2010 wrote:If you have not yet applied, I would seriously advise you to wait a year before applying. At this stage in the game, unless the other aspects of your application are absolutely stellar, you will probably be wait listed at best, if not flat out rejected. If you do decide to apply, I would definitely look at part time programs over full time programs. The admission requirements for some of the part time programs tend to be a little more lenient than their full time counterparts. Just my two cents.
To most of the schools i'm applying to its for part-time admission. I would say that the rest of my application is stellar. I am the first in my family to ever attend college, I come from a single-family home, great resume, letters of rec, and personal statement. I think that all of these really add to my application.
It may work, but I will say that few people with lower than a 150 on the LSAT make it past the wait list at this stage in the application process. Also, while a 3.3 is ok, it is a B+ average, and in law school the competition is very stiff. You can have the best intentions in the world, but the first year of law school exams is NO JOKE. I consider myself a very good student, but that doesn't do squat against the mandatory curve that the classes are graded on. This means you could have an "A" answer, and still wind up with a "C+" on the exam because of the mandatory curve. If you are serious about making the best application, depending on how the February LSAT score comes in, you may need to wait. Also, many schools don't look very kindly at multiple LSAT scores. Again, just my two cents, but with most incoming law classes bursting at the seams, competition is very high these days.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”