TFA...Law School Apps

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
eav1277

TFA...Law School Apps

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:25 am

I recently accepted a TFA offer. This means I'll be deferring any acceptance offers I love (or reapplying in two cycles).

I've heard back from most schools. However, I'm still waiting on several. Should/do I have to send an update that I accepted the TFA offer immediately? Thanks.

I'm also waiting for my Feb LSAT score (if that changes anything).

BlaqBella

Re: TFA...Law School Apps

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:01 pm

For the schools you have already heard from, definitely update them ASAP.

For the schools where you are pending results, I would not update them until after they have received your updated February LSAT or provided you with a decision. It's quite possible some can decide to waitlist or deny you if made aware you have no intentions to start with them this or next year. Don't reveal just yet.

bosmer88

Re: TFA...Law School Apps

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:38 pm

eav1277 wrote:I recently accepted a TFA offer. This means I'll be deferring any acceptance offers I love (or reapplying in two cycles).

I've heard back from most schools. However, I'm still waiting on several. Should/do I have to send an update that I accepted the TFA offer immediately? Thanks.

I'm also waiting for my Feb LSAT score (if that changes anything).

Congrats! As a recent TFA alum, I wish you the best of success in your two years in the classroom. If you have any questions about TFA or Institute, feel free to pm me.

I would let the accepted schools know, but I would also update pending schools as well. I tend to think that a lot of law schools look favorably on TFA experience. No doubt having TFA alone will not get you into law schools, but I think they do look favorably upon an upcoming 2 years of WE versus heading into law school right of undegrad. Also, many law schools, definitely the T14 and most of the T50, are well aware of the program now. If those schools admit you, they will likely grant you a deferral while you are doing TFA. I suggest you check which schools would fall into that category. Additionally, some might even give you scholarship money after you complete your commitment. I received some from Michigan and a substantial amount from UVA because of my TFA service.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”