WHY aren't Asians considered URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bosmer88

Re: WHY aren't Asians considered URM?

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:Not what again?

This train of thought:

On the other hand, an African American or Hispanic student living in a 5 million dollar home who could afford to take Powerscore prep gets AA benefits over a poor Asian/white guy.

Sounds like whining/complaining to me. It's beating a dead hourse...in the URM forum of all places. :evil:

I see where you are coming from.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Maybe I am naive, but wouldn't they still be allowed to count Asians as "Student's of color" A lot of schools will boast this to be a high percentage( ex: 43% or something). You may not get the huge boost for being considered a URM, but you would be qualified for scholarships regarding diversity initiatives and still putting you ahead of whites in that sense. Or am I understanding this incorrectly?

TLDR= Be glad you are not white.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Maybe I am naive, but wouldn't they still be allowed to count Asians as "Student's of color" A lot of schools will boast this to be a high percentage( ex: 43% or something). You may not get the huge boost for being considered a URM, but you would be qualified for scholarships regarding diversity initiatives and still putting you ahead of whites in that sense. Or am I understanding this incorrectly?

TLDR= Be glad you are not white.

They are counted as students of color in the brochures at least, but I am iffy on diversity initiatives. I figured they would depend on the specific guidelines for that initiative. I have seen some that specifically mentioned those traditionally underrepresented in law school and others open to any person of color.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:55 pm

A
BlaqBella wrote:

This train of thought:

On the other hand, an African American or Hispanic student living in a 5 million dollar home who could afford to take Powerscore prep gets AA benefits over a poor Asian/white guy.

AA discussion = Lounge Topic

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeah, take it to the lounge thread folks.

May I suggest we turn this thread into a discussion about how law students and lawyers can't do math?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:15 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Yeah, take it to the lounge thread folks.

May I suggest we turn this thread into a discussion about how law students and lawyers can't do math?

I second this motion, if only because my math skills are excellent

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 pm

I am in fear every time I try to figure out the tip for the bill at a restaurant.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 pm

bosmer88 wrote:I am in fear every time I try to figure out the tip for the bill at a restaurant.

Just round your or total amount to nearest whole number and ask yourself what's 10% of the amount. Once figured out, add that 10% twice and voila, you've tipped 20%, which, I believe, is still the expected standard :)

If all else fails, whip out the calculator on your phone. Works everytime :lol:

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:I am in fear every time I try to figure out the tip for the bill at a restaurant.

Just round your or total amount to nearest whole number and ask yourself what's 10% of the amount. Once figured out, add that 10% twice and voila, you've tipped 20%, which, I believe, is still the expected standard :)

I pull out the calculator.

But seriously, when did standard tip change to 20%? I thought the posters in the lounge might have been pulling my chain, but I guess it has changed.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:55 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

But seriously, when did standard tip change to 20%? I thought the posters in the lounge might have been pulling my chain, but I guess it has changed.

Since the COL has gone up, then again, NYC standards may be different from most other places.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:56 pm

I love this thread! :D

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

I'd like to know the answer to this. 10 years ago everyone I asked said 15%

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Honestly, I have been going by 15% for standard with 20% for excellent.

But in areas with High COL, then 20% standard and 25% for excellent service I guess.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm

bosmer88 wrote:Honestly, I have been going by 15% for standard with 20% for excellent.

But in areas with High COL, then 20% standard and 25% for excellent service I guess.

In high COL areas your bill is higher so I don't see the need for a distinction

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 pm

dingbat wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:Honestly, I have been going by 15% for standard with 20% for excellent.

In high COL areas your bill is higher so I don't see the need for a distinction

Yes, this is confusing. :?

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:09 pm

http://bites.today.com/_news/2012/09/19 ... u-eat?lite

25% for some places. Others add the 20% to your bill.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:15 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

No fucking way. That means the craptastic turtle at a shitty diner will easily be making $15-$20 an hour for just standing there. I'm sorry, but no.
It'd take exceptional service for me to do 25%, for 30% I'd need a back rub, a free dessert and a congratulatory bottle of booze

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

No fucking way. That means the craptastic turtle at a shitty diner will easily be making $15-$20 an hour for just standing there. I'm sorry, but no.
It'd take exceptional service for me to do 25%, for 30% I'd need a back rub, a free dessert and a congratulatory bottle of booze

I don't think these tipping rules/expectations generally apply to diners. It's more for finer dining establishments. Just goes to show that for many places, 20% is the new minimum that you have no control over as its now included in your total balance. Gotta love NYC.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Yeah, take it to the lounge thread folks.

First people say that Asians are over-represented in law school in comparison with their numbers in the general US population, then you say that too many people in law school can't do math?!?

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Birdnals wrote:First people say that Asians are over-represented in law school in comparison with their numbers in the general US population, then you say that too many people in law school can't do math?!?

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

TatNurner

Postby TatNurner » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:12 pm

25%? What the hell is that? I do 10%, 15% if I'm splurging.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 am

TatNurner wrote:25%? What the hell is that? I do 10%, 15% if I'm splurging.

You're doing it right.

UAX09

Postby UAX09 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 am

BlaqBella wrote:

This train of thought:

Sounds like whining/complaining to me. It's beating a dead horse...in the URM forum of all places. :evil:
BlaqBella wrote:

This train of thought:

Sounds like whining/complaining to me. It's beating a dead horse...in the URM forum of all places. :evil:

Perhaps, it's considered whining to some people, but if you are an Asian refugee from a poor Asian nation you might wonder why privileged blacks and Hispanics get AA benefits over you. Why should the children of wealthy black/Hispanic politicians receive AA benefits over other minorities? If you want to exclude Chinese/Indians from receiving AA benefits because they are overrepresented, that's fine with me. With regard to op's comment, all Asians are included under the golf umbrella of "Asian" without regard to the geopolitical/economic realities of Asia. I think all Asians/whites have a right to complain, until the trend reverses with a SCOTUS decision on AA.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:06 am

Law school is where Asians who are bad at math go. You need the prestige to offset the extent to which you have shamed your cultural heritage.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 am

Who actually has the time or the interest in judging a waiters service? Everyone gets 20%, I am not in the business of handing out life lessons, I just want a hamburger.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”