URM Lsat 150 2.91 gpa

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Pseg24

URM Lsat 150 2.91 gpa

Postby Pseg24 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Before you guys chop my throat here is the deal....

-Minority Male.
-Lsat 150 (retaking in February).
-Bachelors Gpa 2.91 (Yes not great at all).
-Working as a full time Police Officer.
-Currently enrolled in a Masters Program for Public Administration. (15 credits finished Gpa 3.6)
-Looking to enter law school in September in the New York Area with a part time program due to work.

I have gotten the numerous (probably bogus) "we can offer you a scholarship" emails but all of them are out of state.
I honestly plan to use my experience and this degree to land a federal job as a prosecutor.

A possible backup plan is to finish my Masters then apply in the Florida area (which is where I am looking to end up anyway)

What are my chances??

Lacepiece23

Re: URM Lsat 150 2.91 gpa

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Pseg24 wrote:Before you guys chop my throat here is the deal....

-Minority Male.
-Currently enrolled in a Masters Program for Public Administration. (15 credits finished Gpa 3.6)
-Looking to enter law school in September in the New York Area with a part time program due to work.

I have gotten the numerous (probably bogus) "we can offer you a scholarship" emails but all of them are out of state.
I honestly plan to use my experience and this degree to land a federal job as a prosecutor.

A possible backup plan is to finish my Masters then apply in the Florida area (which is where I am looking to end up anyway)

What are my chances??

retake ur lsat ur gpa isn't good and it probably wouldn't even be worth adding a law degree at a school with terrible employment.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Pseg24 wrote:Before you guys chop my throat here is the deal....

-Minority Male.

What are my chances??

I would finish your masters before thinking about Law school. You are almost done and I personally would hate to stop something when I am so close to being done. Your chances do not look great with your current numbers. With that said, this shows chances at full time programs not Part time, and alot of part time are much less competitive. Looking at the mylsn... there really is not enough data points to come to a conclusion, but your chances are very slim.

http://myLSN.info/9oarag (there is a good chance the NYU/Michigan acceptance is a troll, she doesnt say much and I find it hard to believe both schools accepted her with those stats).

a 4-6 point increase makes your outcomes look like this
http://myLSN.info/jkwoq3

again these are full time. it would be hard to accurately gauge your chances part time.

Pseg24

Postby Pseg24 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 pm

thank you for the responses.
Yea i plan on taking the Lsat In February and depending on my score I will either:
1. Finish my Masters then re-apply to Florida Law schools in about 2 years.
2. Start a lower tier NYC law school in September and try to transfer to a better school within a year.

Turning 30 this year, So I do not have the luxury of time like most of the kids who are still in college. I went a different route, got a steady job first then education.

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 am

Pseg24 wrote:thank you for the responses.
Yea i plan on taking the Lsat In February and depending on my score I will either:
1. Finish my Masters then re-apply to Florida Law schools in about 2 years.
2. Start a lower tier NYC law school in September and try to transfer to a better school within a year.

Turning 30 this year, So I do not have the luxury of time like most of the kids who are still in college. I went a different route, got a steady job first then education.

While I understand that you want to get started as soon as possible, DO NOT go somewhere with the intent of transferring. I know TLS sounds like a broken record when we say this, but it is really is impossible to predict your grades in law school. You could end up at median or below and have 0% chance at transferring.

SouthernSoul

Postby SouthernSoul » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm

I was in a similar situation the first time I applied to law schools. I'm a minority male that started off with similar numbers 150/2.8, 1 year into my MPA program at the time. I kind of rushed the decision to go to law school because I felt I was getting too old, close to 30. Maaaaan... it didn't go well for me at all. I was rejected at all but a two of my tier 3/4 safety schools. I considered just attending Florida Coastal and transferring after a year. I decided against that.

I sat it out, finished my degree, re-took the LSAT and increased by 8 points (not as great as I wanted, but better), and got some more work/volunteer experience to add to the resume. This cycle it's a completely different story. I've already got a few acceptances and waitlist decisions at schools that denied me the first time.

Based on my own experience, unless you kill it on the LSAT in February you should go with Option 1, finish the MPA, study over the summer, re-take the LSAT in October and apply next cycle. Best of luck though with the February test!

Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 pm

What kind of minority?
how much do you earn as a police officer?
Is it probable that in the not so distant future you will receive a promotion once you have a masters degree?

You have to calculate what you will earn by staying in your current job and compare it to the possible debt you will have after attending law school for 3 years (take into consideration that you might never find a job as a lawyer) and your possible new salary that you'll make as a lawyer. Even assuming you do find a job as a prosecutor and assuming you'll earn 70k a year, your new salary and your new debt put together might not make up for the lost opportunity of earning your current salary and maybe advancing further in your current job.

Median Police officer salary in NY 58k (3years) = 174k and attending law school with half scholarship = 100k in debt.
Let say now you got lucky and got a job with a 70k salary as a prosecutor (and that's the best case scenario; the median is about 55k), how long will you have to work until you can say that it was worth it going to law school I now make more money than I did before? possibly more than 15 years depending on how you pay back your debt. And It's a really big IF because it all depends on you getting a job.

So the only way I see that it's worth it for you to attend law school is that you end up with almost no debt at all after 3 years, you score 166+ on the LSAT, and/or that you have a job secured as a prosecutor. Maybe "securing" a job is something you can do before attending law school.

I apologize if I didn't explained myself well. My main point is that you should be more worried about the worthiness of attending a t2 law school than of your chances of being able to enroll in one.

Pseg24

Postby Pseg24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am

SouthernSoul wrote:I was in a similar situation the first time I applied to law schools. I'm a minority male that started off with similar numbers 150/2.8, 1 year into my MPA program at the time. I kind of rushed the decision to go to law school because I felt I was getting too old, close to 30. Maaaaan... it didn't go well for me at all. I was rejected at all but a two of my tier 3/4 safety schools. I considered just attending Florida Coastal and transferring after a year. I decided against that.

I sat it out, finished my degree, re-took the LSAT and increased by 8 points (not as great as I wanted, but better), and got some more work/volunteer experience to add to the resume. This cycle it's a completely different story. I've already got a few acceptances and waitlist decisions at schools that denied me the first time.

Based on my own experience, unless you kill it on the LSAT in February you should go with Option 1, finish the MPA, study over the summer, re-take the LSAT in October and apply next cycle. Best of luck though with the February test!

Thanks for the response.
Did you end up applying to Florida law schools?
Yea I am weighing out my options because even with my practice tests I have not got over 152, far from killing the LSAT.

Pseg24

Postby Pseg24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 am

Anonimo wrote:What kind of minority?
how much do you earn as a police officer?
Is it probable that in the not so distant future you will receive a promotion once you have a masters degree?

You have to calculate what you will earn by staying in your current job and compare it to the possible debt you will have after attending law school for 3 years (take into consideration that you might never find a job as a lawyer) and your possible new salary that you'll make as a lawyer. Even assuming you do find a job as a prosecutor and assuming you'll earn 70k a year, your new salary and your new debt put together might not make up for the lost opportunity of earning your current salary and maybe advancing further in your current job.

Median Police officer salary in NY 58k (3years) = 174k and attending law school with half scholarship = 100k in debt.
Let say now you got lucky and got a job with a 70k salary as a prosecutor (and that's the best case scenario; the median is about 55k), how long will you have to work until you can say that it was worth it going to law school I now make more money than I did before? possibly more than 15 years depending on how you pay back your debt. And It's a really big IF because it all depends on you getting a job.

So the only way I see that it's worth it for you to attend law school is that you end up with almost no debt at all after 3 years, you score 166+ on the LSAT, and/or that you have a job secured as a prosecutor. Maybe "securing" a job is something you can do before attending law school.

I apologize if I didn't explained myself well. My main point is that you should be more worried about the worthiness of attending a t2 law school than of your chances of being able to enroll in one.

Thanks for the response and this board is great. I am a Puerto Rican Male

1. In NYC I am earning close to 89 k as a police officer. (good amount but NYC is so expensive its still not enough).
2. There is chance for promotion but NOT due to my education. The NYPD gives no rewards for having education except that you qualify to take promotional tests, but you do not need a Master's to qualify, just 66 credits of undergrad.
3. Promotion at my job is surely an option because I am taking the promotional exam in October but it is not a long term viable option for me. I do not plan to raise a family in NYC, do plan to purchase property here or even plan to stay here past 35, so staying at my current job/state is not the way I want to go. The plan is to leave NYC for Florida but I refuse to leave to be a cop again, or incur a LARGE salary decrease. Minimal sure, large NO.
NYC is a great city for you're 20's and I wont bore you with the details, but making 90k here is just not worth it for me. I have have enjoyed the lifestyle (congestion, rent too damn high, dirty, etc).
4. So would you recommend me finishing my MPA in 2 years then applying for a better law school? or taking the LSAT in February and seeing how I do on my test.
5. The plan is to do a vested retirement at about 10 -12 years and leave with half a pension that starts at age 41 which would be around 1900-2100/mo. So although it will not be much, at least I would have that monthly installment, which I can use as a house payment or loan repayment in the future.

An additional question I have to all members is this:
I am looking to land a job as a federal prosecutor in Florida,
so given that would it matter if I graduate from a 2 tier school in NYC or from lets stay Stetson (tampa) a 3tier school in Florida, since I plan to work in Florida. I have read up on Stetson and although it is not well known outside of Florida, it is a good regional school to attend if seeking employment within Florida.

Pseg24

Postby Pseg24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you very much,
I am going to look into it a little more.
I did notice that it seems generally easier to get a federal job with a year experience in the court room. Even with the "right out of law school hire" its mostly focuses on just DC and New York (both places I have no desire to live in).
Anybody know any websites for Florida local district attorney positions perhaps? To at least build up some experience.

Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 pm

I believe finishing the MPA is not worth it just because it might help you get into a better law school. Admission committees have stated they do think masters are a plus but won't help you get over a relatively low LSAT or GPA.

If you take the LSAT in february and you do score higher you should wait until next cycle to apply. Do not take the LSAT in February if you're not well-prepared or if you have not studied using a different approach. However, retaking the LSAT in your situation is a must not an alternative.

So I truly get why you don't want to raise your family in NYC. 89k might not be a lot in NYC but remember that there is the possibility you'll make 30k or even $0 in Florida as an underemployed or unemployed Lawyer. Do you think you can use your connections to get a job in Florida? Maybe a nice 60k job were your fluency in spanish is appreciated (a lot of PR and Cubans in Florida) combined with your pension at 41 will give you the lifestyle you want. Cost of living in Florida is much less than NYC.

I'll put this out there as a possible-maybe at a lower risk- alternative but please consider that the prospective job employment statistics on the island are almost none (about 40 of the 217 student surveyed said the had full time legal employment) and all classes are in Spanish probably with books in English. The University of Puerto Rico School of Law tuiton is only $5,000 per year (95% sure, anyway is very cheap) for out of state students. If you end up in the top 5% of the class (217 students) maybe (and I'm not sure at all about this since we have a common law and old spanish code law combination (but this is not used on the federal court system just the state level) you can get a clerkship with a federal judge in Puerto Rico and then move to Florida. The UPR School of Law in Mayaguez is also good and it has 4:1 student-professor ratio. If you still don't have a family this might be an option. You can see how taking in a 20k debt vs 100k might be a viable option.

As for your chances of admission I would say you stand a good chance. The UPR School of Law uses the following system for admitting students: All application consist of 4 parts. Your LSAC GPA, your LSAT, and the EXADEP (a joke of a test if you ask me; its like an SAT), and a thesis you wrote by yourself. The first three items have the same weight (1/3) on your application. Out this three items they get a number and then they rank all the applications at the end of the cycle. The first 200 students with the highest numbers are automatically admitted and from the next 50 they admit 17 based on their essays and softs. Your LSAT is actually above the median of 145 (a lot of people don't know english well and that affects them on the LSAT) and your GPA is below the 3.5 median. You can probably rock the EXADEP which is just basic math and logic in spanish. So this is it. Its a very low cost option. You have to end up a the very top of the class; about the same rank where you have to end up at any school that you would attend in Florida.

Hope this info was helpful!

(Warning; do not enroll at any other Law School in PR besides University of Puerto Rico School of Law in Rio Piedras or Mayaguez Campus. The other ones are more expensive, will give you a lesser chance of employment.)

EDIT: Is it possible to get a leave permit for a year and see how you do your first year of law school and if you don't do well just go back to your old job???? that would be awesome...

Also I said 20k debt instead of 15k (5k X 3years) because I assumed you might need extra money for living, rent, etc.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”