EDing to NW as a URM Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BlaqBella

Silver

EDing to NW as a URM

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm

...is it worth it if you have a good shot of admittance to a higher ranked T14, say Harvard, Stanford or Columbia? I know its strongly advised that URMs not ED anywhere, but is NW an exception to the rule?

I didn't realize NW offers all ED admits 50k/year merit scholarships with the stip of maintaining at least a 2.25 GPA.

Should URM applicants drink the kool-aid here?

twenty

Gold

Re: EDing to NW as a URM

Post by twenty » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

In this day and age, ED to NW is becoming a better and better option. Even from HYS, you're either for sure spending the next ten years of your life in a low-income PI spot, or else taking a 25k+ post-taxes dent out of your paycheck every year for roughly the same amount of time no matter how well you do in law school.

I'd also imagine that the "stress" (which is probably overplayed by 0Ls) that comes from not going to HYS is in part because of the reality that a T14 student is sinking 200k into a 50/50 shot at biglaw. A free 50/50 shot at biglaw becomes a lot less problematic.

The only other thought was, is a full ride at a different T14 school better? Since placement data for NW is about the same as the rest of T14 minus a few notable exceptions (read: GULC, Michigan)... Not really, no.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm

The freedom of not having six-figure debt is looking more and more attractive to me. HYSC is nice to have on the resume, but that debt....scary.

NW also places fairly decent outside of NYC and Chicago markets. I'll have to weigh all pros and cons before deciding to ED anywhere but to me, NW ED looks like a damn good deal and one I will strongly consider when the time comes to apply.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:A free 50/50 shot at biglaw becomes a lot less problematic.
Very well said.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Being a black URM which from your avatar it seems you are makes it more like a free 70/30 shot imo. Firms go a little deeper in the class for black people. At least thats what it seems like at might T14. Plus you have more shots at interviewing through diversity fairs and such.

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Being a black URM which from your avatar it seems you are makes it more like a free 70/30 shot imo. Firms go a little deeper in the class for black people. At least thats what it seems like at might T14. Plus you have more shots at interviewing through diversity fairs and such.
Maybe even 80/20... no exaggeration.

TBH, I don't know a single African American law student here who doesn't have a BigLaw option...

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:19 am

igo2northwestern wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:Being a black URM which from your avatar it seems you are makes it more like a free 70/30 shot imo. Firms go a little deeper in the class for black people. At least thats what it seems like at might T14. Plus you have more shots at interviewing through diversity fairs and such.

TBH, I don't know a single African American law student here who doesn't have a BigLaw option...
Yes, but don't black lawyers in biglaw have a rougher time of it? Like they don't get as much to do and often end up out of biglaw within a few years?

Also, why shouldn't URMs ED?

Justin Genious

Bronze

Post by Justin Genious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:00 am

jemthey17 wrote:
igo2northwestern wrote:

Yes, but don't black lawyers in biglaw have a rougher time of it? Like they don't get as much to do and often end up out of biglaw within a few years?

Also, why shouldn't URMs ED?
This holds true for all races.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 am

igo2northwestern wrote:

Anecdotal or has this shown to be pretty consistent throughout?

Quite impressive if that is the case.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am

True, but still grades will matter which gives HYS quite the appeal.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”