GLBT on CRS profile?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
berndie90

GLBT on CRS profile?

Postby berndie90 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 am

Deleted
Last edited by berndie90 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Re: GLBT on CRS profile?

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:42 am

berndie90 wrote:What are the benefits and downsides to checking the box and reporting it to schools vs. not checking it?

I don't think there are any downsides to checking the box. If anything, it will diversify you (which for law school application purposes, is a great thing).

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:30 am

You'll get invitations to join Outlaw and that sort of thing.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 pm

berndie90 wrote:I have recently come out to family and friends as "questioning" and have been working through my sexuality for the past couple years, but I don't necessarily have a definitive label for what I consider myself (gay/bi/etc). I certainly do not consider myself 100% heterosexual, however. Should I be checking the box for GLBT on my CRS profile? What are the benefits and downsides to checking the box and reporting it to schools vs. not checking it?

The gains are marginal at best, but definitely do not lose anything, so I would do it. I most likely would have not received information from Harvard/NYU/Columbia if I had not checked LGBT on my CRS.

In any case congrats on taking the first big step by coming out to your family!

cinnamonchurros

Postby cinnamonchurros » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:46 am

Awesome step in coming out to your family! I've been down that road, and I know it's not easy.

With regard to your question, I wouldn't think that there would be a problem checking the LGBT box. You're not lying or anything.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”