February LSAT retake Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Empire State of Mind

New

February LSAT retake

Post by Empire State of Mind » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to get advice on an LSAT retake. I'm an African-American male with a 3.4 and a 164 LSAT. I applied in early November after the October LSAT and so far I've gotten into NYU, Michigan, Georgetown, and Vanderbilt. It's been a great admissions cycle for me so far, but I've been thinking of retaking the LSAT because I feel like I left a high 160s/Low 170s score on the table and increase my chances at Columbia/Harvard. Any advice on this situation from the URM perspective would be great. Thanks in advance.

twenty

Gold

Re: February LSAT retake

Post by twenty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm

There is absolutely no reason you can't improve your score and get into a better school/more money at the schools you have. Studystudystudy.

That said, if you burn out before Feb, or get the same or worse score, you're definitely not in a bad position with a 3.4 and a 164.

Empire State of Mind

New

Post by Empire State of Mind » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for the feedback. From my vantage point I'm in a good place regardless, but I think if I didn't try to improve my score I would have to answer the "what if?" question for the rest of my life. I also don't have anything to lose because I already have some great options on the table.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks for giving me hope in this cycle, Empire State of Mind! I actually have very similar numbers to yours (I'm AA as well), and I'm thrilled to hear that you got into three T14s. That being said, if you were to score even 3 or 4 points higher on your next LSAT, you would have a great shot at Columbia and even Harvard (although applying after February is going to be risky).

Regardless, you've had a great cycle so far and you'll likely get into a few more T14s.

Empire State of Mind

New

Post by Empire State of Mind » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Thanks for giving me hope in this cycle, Empire State of Mind! I actually have very similar numbers to yours (I'm AA as well), and I'm thrilled to hear that you got into three T14s. That being said, if you were to score even 3 or 4 points higher on your next LSAT, you would have a great shot at Columbia and even Harvard (although applying after February is going to be risky).

Regardless, you've had a great cycle so far and you'll likely get into a few more T14s.
Thanks, man! I've had a great past couple of weeks with these acceptances and I hope they keep coming. I'm sure you're going to have a great cycle with your stats. My biggest concern is having adcomms hold my app until my score comes in or not taking the February score either way. But, at the very least I figure I can use it for scholarship considerations at the schools where I'm already in.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 am

Empire State of Mind wrote:But, at the very least I figure I can use it for scholarship considerations at the schools where I'm already in.
Exactly. Paying the $118 fee and crushing it on the LSAT could potentially save you thousands. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”