Is LGBTQ considered a URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
goCATSgo

Is LGBTQ considered a URM?

Postby goCATSgo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Last edited by goCATSgo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: Is LGBTQ considered a URM?

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 pm

URM only refers to Mexican American, Aftrican American, Puerto Rican, and Native American.

LGBTQ is diverse, though.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 pm

goCATSgo wrote:Might seem like a dumb question, but I am seriously wondering. I have it included on all apps that ask and it is in my optional DS. Does it really carry any weight? Thanks for your responses!

If only there was a sticky that directly addresses this issue!

goCATSgo

Postby goCATSgo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Nova wrote:URM only refers to Mexican American, Aftrican American, Puerto Rican, and Native American.

LGBTQ is diverse, though.

Thank you for your response.

goCATSgo

Postby goCATSgo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 pm

ph14 wrote:
goCATSgo wrote:Might seem like a dumb question, but I am seriously wondering. I have it included on all apps that ask and it is in my optional DS. Does it really carry any weight? Thanks for your responses!

Please forgive me for not wanting to scroll through 27 pages of comments. But, thanks either way.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

goCATSgo wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Please forgive me for not wanting to scroll through 27 pages of comments. But, thanks either way.

Yeah, it's too bad the original poster didn't think to include the information necessary to answer your question in the original post.

goCATSgo

Postby goCATSgo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 pm

ph14 wrote:
goCATSgo wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Yeah, it's too bad the original poster didn't think to include the information necessary to answer your question in the original post.

Last edited by goCATSgo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 pm

goCATSgo wrote:It isn't directly answered.

The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.

ce255

Postby ce255 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:35 am

ph14 wrote:

The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.

ph14,

had you ever considered if the poster was asking about the URM status of LGBTQ b/c they were new to the site (like me) and didnt know about that post? had you ever considered that the OP was trying to assess if there was a boost at all associated with being LGBTQ? I assume you want to be a lawyer, ph14. Don't add to the stereotype that lawyers are assholes.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:46 am

ce255 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

ph14,

had you ever considered if the poster was asking about the URM status of LGBTQ b/c they were new to the site (like me) and didnt know about that post? had you ever considered that the OP was trying to assess if there was a boost at all associated with being LGBTQ? I assume you want to be a lawyer, ph14. Don't add to the stereotype that lawyers are assholes.

The first topic in the URM thread is literally labeled Am I a URM and the OP's question was answered four sentences into the post. I think people can be a little harsh when it come to the "use the search function" comments sometimes but come on...have you ever considered that the ability to research and read are things that are generally expected of attorneys/law students?

ce255

Postby ce255 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:08 am

The first topic in the URM thread is literally labeled Am I a URM and the OP's question was answered four sentences into the post. I think people can be a little harsh when it come to the "use the search function" comments sometimes but come on...have you ever considered that the ability to research and read are things that are generally expected of attorneys/law students?

touche

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”