URM T14 chances, good softs

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
GW1010

URM T14 chances, good softs

Postby GW1010 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm

(Content removed by user)
Last edited by GW1010 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

somewhatwayward

Re: 165/3.7 AA/NA, good softs

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 pm

NA seems to be the hardest type of boost to predict even though many NAs get big boosts. But you say you are also AA? Make sure you weave that into your PS and DS. The AA boost is more predictable and with it you will definitely be in at the T14, probably in at H, possibly in at YS, depending on softs.

If you think you underperformed on the LSAT, you can retake as you know (your post kinda makes it sound like it is not an option). You could just see how it goes this cycle and then reassess if you aren't satisfied. Honestly if I were you I wouldn't settle for less than HYS or full ride to another school. You have a good GPA, your LSAT is on the cusp, and it sounds like you will have good material for your PS and DS. Good luck!

ETA: the "depending on softs" at the end of the first para refers to YS, not the other schools...the other schools will probably mechanically admit you if you check off that you are AA

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:33 pm

GW1010 wrote:Hi all - I posted this under the 'what are my chances' forum but I wanted to get the perspective of other TLS URM's...

- I have a 165 and 3.70 from an Ivy league school
- I'm multiracial (White/Black/NativeAmerican) and LGBT
- I have 5 really solid internships that I've done over the past 4 years, and I also took a leave of absence during my senior year to work for the White House.
- Extracurriculars are also solid - I founded two campus groups and was on the executive board of another.
- I know my LSAT score isn't great, in part because I had to deal with the trauma of being outed by my family last thanksgiving, a week before test day. I explained that in an addendum but not sure if it will help
- Also applied late in the application cycle, got in all my apps the day after December LSAT scores came out, about a week ago

As far as applications go, I blanketed the T-14. Any feedback on what my chances will be? Thanks!

http://myLSN.info/75rv5f

If you retake and get a 170, this is what it looks like:

http://myLSN.info/gka2ej

But enjoy Harvard (probably) anyway.

GW1010

Postby GW1010 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:51 pm

I wish I could be as optimistic as you guys...I can't shake the feeling that most of the spots at HYS for AA's were taken before I got my applications last week but I can hold out hope I guess :/ I neglected to mention that my aunt and uncle (both AA's) graduated from Harvard Law two decades ago but since they're not immediate family i'm not sure what effect that'll have

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 am

GW1010 wrote:I wish I could be as optimistic as you guys...I can't shake the feeling that most of the spots at HYS for AA's were taken before I got my applications last week but I can hold out hope I guess :/ I neglected to mention that my aunt and uncle (both AA's) graduated from Harvard Law two decades ago but since they're not immediate family i'm not sure what effect that'll have

General consensus is that timing doesn't matter as much this cycle, and definitely not for URMs. If I were you I wouldn't go anywhere but HYS.
Edit: or another T-14 with tons of money.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”