school visits pre-acceptance:diversity/URM elevator speech?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
JayJones78

school visits pre-acceptance:diversity/URM elevator speech?

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

I am in the process of planning a few campus visits. I was if wondering I will be expected to talk about my DS/being a URM or be asked questions about it if I meet with an adcom? Not that I have a problem laying it out but I want to know if I'm expected to have a "diversity/URM elevator speech" or will they won't ask me about it or expect me to talk about it and somehow 'justify my URM boost'

Thanks!

twenty

Re: school visits pre-acceptance:diversity/URM elevator speech?

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:30 pm

I don't think anyone would be rude enough to ask you just EXACTLY how AA/MA/etc you are in a passing conversation. That said, in Harvard's interview at the very least, applicants have been asked questions related to their diversity statement.

Other than that, I'm not sure if I understand what you're wondering...?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I don't think anyone would be rude enough to ask you just EXACTLY how AA/MA/etc you are in a passing conversation. That said, in Harvard's interview at the very least, applicants have been asked questions related to their diversity statement.

Other than that, I'm not sure if I understand what you're wondering...?

Wondering just that :roll:

Mainly if the schools would expect me to talk about my diversity, why I believe I, and particularly as a URM, should be part of the class, what I bring in diversity wise etc. or if they just expect me to do that in a school visit (i.e expend on my diversity and my DS).

I am planning a wide range campus visit to a few schools and I just want to be prepared and also make the most out of the time and $ I am going to spend on them as they come pre decision from these schools.

Thanks again.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Expected? No. Welcomed? Why not!

This law school admission process is all about marketing yourself. By making a visit to campus and speaking with those that can influence a decision, you have a chance to market yourself even further...and if asked questions directly, you will be thoroughly prepared to answer.

My only advice is don't grand charge the pitch on how you will add diversity to the class room/law school if admitted. Only elaborate if asked. That said, feel free to ask your questions on diversity on campus/what they may look for in an applicant/how they are different from the rest of law schools, etc.

Enjoy your campus visits and be sure to report back with your findings! :)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”