LGBT Guide? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fearlessly

New

LGBT Guide?

Post by fearlessly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:06 pm

What's the best way to indicate I'm LGBT (I'm G) on my applications? Writing a diversity statement? Finding some way to include it in my PS? Do I even want to include it in the first place? Will it hurt or help me? Does this change by schools?

FWIW, I've searched through pages on this forum and also using the search function, can't seem to get a solid answer (that I've come across so far, anyways). I've done minor LGBT-related work.. a little bit of mentoring back in high school, very modest involvement in activism. I came out when I was about 12, life has never been *that* hard (was never kicked out, beatn up, really made fun of - perks of being a New Englander, I guess). I'm almost under the impression that it's pointless to mention it anywhere.

blackandstrong

Bronze

Re: LGBT Guide?

Post by blackandstrong » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 am

fearlessly wrote:What's the best way to indicate I'm LGBT (I'm G) on my applications? Writing a diversity statement? Finding some way to include it in my PS? Do I even want to include it in the first place? Will it hurt or help me? Does this change by schools?

FWIW, I've searched through pages on this forum and also using the search function, can't seem to get a solid answer (that I've come across so far, anyways). I've done minor LGBT-related work.. a little bit of mentoring back in high school, very modest involvement in activism. I came out when I was about 12, life has never been *that* hard (was never kicked out, beatn up, really made fun of - perks of being a New Englander, I guess). I'm almost under the impression that it's pointless to mention it anywhere.
I would either include it in my PS or separate DS. It will not hurt you, but there are conflicting reports on how much it can help you in the process. Being LGBT is starting to have its merits and weigh in the admissions process.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”