URM Splitter Guide

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ce255

URM Splitter Guide

Postby ce255 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 am

URM Splitter Guide
Hi all, I’m new here, but I’ve been lurking the site for over a year now. I read a great splitter guide, and a great URM guide, and both of those admitted that URM splitters are the most unpredictable. I’ve compiled data of URM splitters from the past nine cycles – 2003-04 until 2011-12. Read on.

Methodology
Using lawschoolnumbers.com (LSN), I was able to get data on URM splitters (URMS) from the past 9 cycles. I only studied traditional splitters, which was defined as an LSAT from 165 and above, with a GPA from 3.5 and below. I only studied URMS that applied to T-14 schools. Some would say – 165 is too low to be considered a “splitter” at a T-14 school, but in the URM context, 165 might as well be a 170.
Unfortunately, the sample size was painfully small for the 03-04 cycle – only nine URMS, but it gets bigger each cycle, because I’m assuming that LNS has gotten immensely more popular over the past nine years. As a result, the sample sizes per cycle range from nine applicants to 34.

The Results
The Six Best
1. NYU
NYU received 81 applications over nine cycles from URMS on LSN. They accepted 50.6% of them.

2. Georgetown
Georgetown received 128 applications over the nine cycles, making it the most popular choice for URM splitters. Georgetown accepted 49% of those applicants. This isn’t surprising; Georgetown loves splitters minorities or not, so I suppose being an URM is an extra plus.

3. Northwestern
I was shocked to see Northwestern in this spot. They received just 61 applications over nine cycles from LSN URMS, but accepted 49%. I suppose that Northwestern, like Georgetown would be ideal for URM splitters because both schools have a trend of taking splitters. Even better, Northwestern emphasizes WE, so I’m guessing that many of the URMS from LSN being accepted here have 2+ years of WE.

4. Cornell
Cornell received 65 apps over 9 cycles, and accepted 46% of those, making Cornell a viable option for many URM splitters.

5. Michigan
Given the state’s opposition to affirmative action and the bad press from Grutter v. Bolinger, I didn’t expect to see Michigan here. But Michigan received 85 apps – and accepted 43.5% of those.

6. Virginia
Virginia received a whopping 90 applications, and accepted 34% of them.

The Worst

1. Yale
Yale made my blood boil as I compiled the data. Yale received a miserable 32 applications from URM splitters on LSN over the last nine years, no doubt a result over Yale’s obsession with GPA. Yale accepted just two of these applicants. The part that made my blood boil? A Yale undergrad with a 3.4 and a 175 was waitlisted at YLS.

2. Berkeley
While a little better than Yale, Berkeley is just as obsessed with GPA, and in California where affirmative action is almost nonexistent, I would waste an app here. They received 67 apps from LSN URMS and accepted 12.

3. Stanford
Like Yale, Stanford made some admissions calls that made my blood boil. There have been several URMS with 3.0+ GPAs and 175+ LSATs that Stanford has passed on. SLS received 56 apps over nine cycles, and accepted just eleven.

The Second Guess?

1. Columbia
One of the more popular schools for URMS. It received 104 apps, and accepted 20% of them.

2. Penn/Duke
Both schools had a 23% acceptance rate for URM splitters, receiving 70 and 57 apps, respectively.
3. Chicago
Chicago accepted 29% of the 66 apps it got from URM splitters on LSN over the past nine years, which seems promising – but not as reassuring as G-Town.
4. Harvard
There’s always some shot for a URM getting into Harvard, especially considering that Harvard is much more forgiving of GPA than its Yale/Stanford colleagues. H accepted a fifth of the 77 apps from URM splitters on LSN.

Conclusion
This “study” is not perfect at all. The sample size is smaller than I would like, and there are other things that go into admissions that I couldn’t measure – such as when these URM’s applied during the cycle or what their softs were. I did this because there are a LOT of URM splitters, and the advice to so many URM splitters (e.g. 3.0/169) is “Blanket the T-14!” or “Enjoy Harvard.” But it’s not that black and white. I hope this helps someone, and at the very least, gives a picture of LSN competition! 

TatNurner

Re: URM Splitter Guide

Postby TatNurner » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for your contribution, it's because of posts like these that this part of the forum keeps getting better and better.

I know there probably isn't enough data, but it would be nice to see how the chances of a splitter are affected by where their GPA sits exactly. In other words, filtering for a sub 3.5 GPA encompasses a lot of GPAs so the probabilities are not as powerful as they could be, especially at the top schools. Eg: a 3.45/165 is not gonna have the same chances as a 2.8/165.

But I get what you were going for in the sense that you wanted to see which schools were splitter friendly in general, so all good. 8)

ce255

Postby ce255 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 pm

TatNurner wrote:Thanks for your contribution, it's because of posts like these that this part of the forum keeps getting better and better.

I know there probably isn't enough data, but it would be nice to see how the chances of a splitter are affected by where their GPA sits exactly. In other words, filtering for a sub 3.5 GPA encompasses a lot of GPAs so the probabilities are not as powerful as they could be, especially at the top schools. Eg: a 3.45/165 is not gonna have the same chances as a 2.8/165.

But I get what you were going for in the sense that you wanted to see which schools were splitter friendly in general, so all good. 8)

I understand this concern. Perhaps I should have put it in the OP, but of the 184 profiles used in this, less than 30 had sub 3.0 GPA's... Of the 184 URM splitters that applied to the T-14 over the last nine cycles, 49% of them got into at least one T-14. The floor seems to be 3.0/3.2 depending on the institution, but there were some acceptances to G-Town and NW with 2.8's.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:44 pm

ce255 wrote:
TatNurner wrote:Thanks for your contribution, it's because of posts like these that this part of the forum keeps getting better and better.

I understand this concern. Perhaps I should have put it in the OP, but of the 184 profiles used in this, less than 30 had sub 3.0 GPA's... Of the 184 URM splitters that applied to the T-14 over the last nine cycles, 49% of them got into at least one T-14. The floor seems to be 3.0/3.2 depending on the institution, but there were some acceptances to G-Town and NW with 2.8's.

That's great news!

USCbusinessgrad

Postby USCbusinessgrad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:19 am

Wow this is a great post! Exactly the info I was looking for.

I'm a URM splitter and I sent in my apps super late, so I guess my results will tell how important timing is! (I'm definitely hoping it's not)

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 am

I have stated in a bunch of other threads that Columbia doesn't seem to like URM's too much. I guess this info confirms it to a certain extent. NYU does seem to go out of their way to admit URM's. Yale and Stanford's actions aren't surprising due to their real small class sizes; they want real exceptional, well-rounded people. Chicago has real big problems with people actually attending if admitted. I don't particularly care for Chicago. Virginia's acceptance rate is pretty surprising. A few years ago, Virginia had only about 15%-20% of its class comprised of minorities. Penn has always been a mystery to me. Penn seems pretty number whorish.
Last edited by bizzybone1313 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 am

USCbusinessgrad wrote:Wow this is a great post! Exactly the info I was looking for.

I'm a URM splitter and I sent in my apps super late, so I guess my results will tell how important timing is! (I'm definitely hoping it's not)

173 URM? Enjoy Harvard.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:02 am

Bump

luuma

Postby luuma » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:01 am

Love this. Thanks. I wish there were a guide of T30

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”