URM Female - Chances at T20?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Re: URM Female - Chances at T20?

Postby angflos » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 pm

As a Puerto Rican (both of my parents were born there) I think if she were Puerto Rican she would know so. Puerto Ricans are an infamously proud people (you can find myriad merchandise with Puerto Rican flags plastered all over it) who love to proclaim their ethnic heritage.

It sounds to me like OP isn't very clear about her heritage and came into the thread saying she was Cuban, before mentioning a connection to PR after learning of the "boost" for PRs. It kind of pisses me off since Cubans don't get a boost for a reason, I won't get into all the history there but Cubans were giving certain rights and privileges PRs were not given here in the States, which is why you see much higher achievement amongst Cubans.

If I had to guess, OP is probably mixing up the fact that a lot of Cubans went to PR before eventually coming to America. The main reason being that it was easier at certain points to get to PR first (some examples are ballplayers like Mike Lowell and Jorge Posada, though in their cases they were born in PR, went to school there, etc.)

When you start getting into, well my parent was Cuban, but went to PR, before coming to America, does that make me Puerto Rican? Things are muddled to the point where I don't think you can claim legitimately you're Puerto Rican. Now, if your parent was born there, identifies as Puerto Rican though s/he may have grandparents that are Cuban, thats a different matter, though in that case I don't think we would be discussing it here.

All that being said, if you have to ask, are unsure, have digging to do, have never identified that way before, etc., now is not the time to start doing it. I would in fact call that cheating.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 pm

I have a friend with a tiny bit of Cuban heritage who went the ED route and got into a T6 (with grades a bit lower than what would otherwise be considered adequate). Just saying. . .

Postby superhopefulwoo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:32 am

Dear Concerned Posters,

I did not mark PR, fyi :) And I was only confused about my heritage because I had a father who was very absent from my life despite not being divorced from my mother until last year. I met his mother and family somewhat consistently over the years for Holidays and they shared a lot of love with me, and my time with them really made an impact on me - especially since my father was never around. To the PR poster, I hope I didn't offend you by my confusion, but I grew up with a very challenging situation where I was moving from apartment to apartment all of the time, faced a whole ton of racism from every single race, and I was also a first generation college student.

Forgive me for being hopeful about my law school prospects despite my poor scores/grades, but I would never cheat to get in anywhere. I know plenty of people that make use of their heritage without knowing anything about it, and I don't agree with that. I wanted to see if there was a proper way to take advantage of my upbringing/ethnic mix, but per advisory of posters on here, I did not feel qualified to check PR. I am perfectly fine being Cuban - proud in fact, but I sure did not have the same advantages people seem to think a non-URM Hispanic or other ethinicity would have received. I struggled and fought to even graduate from a top Public University. So... thank you very much for all the input! :) I hope I get in somewhere decent is all!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”