AA male: When should i consider RD over ED Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Dmini7

Silver

AA male: When should i consider RD over ED

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Hey everyone, I had a quick question on when It is wise to take my risks with RD over ED. I held out on submitting my GPA in order to allow this semester to boost my grades. With that said, At worse, I have calculated I will have a 3.13 LSDAS GPA. That obviously is not great, but it is what I have to deal with. I have a wide range of schools I plan on applying too, and one of my top choices is UVA. My question is, with my status as an AA male, what LSAT score would be wise to go for RD instead of ED? (ex: 165?, 167?)

I ask this question because my fiance lives in California(and i have grown up there) and If I had a scholarship offer at a school like USC/UCLA(even UCI due to proximity of my home to the school and ties to the area) I would be willing to take it over UVA. I assume the low GPA kicks me out of the running for any California schools in the top 25, and due to UCLA being a public university in california my AA status has no value, but I would like others opinions on the matter and what score would be wise to take my chances on RD.

wbrother

Bronze

Re: AA male: When should i consider RD over ED

Post by wbrother » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 pm

If you're asking if a AA URM male with a 3.1 and a 165 should ED to UVA, I would say no. You might loose out on much better offers. It seems like you have a lot of hypotheticals though. Do you have an LSAT score, or are you guessing what your December score will be?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 pm

It's not necessarily true that California schools don't go for affirmative action. USC at the very least isn't a state school, and thus your URM boost should be worth something. Keep in mind though that many schools outside the T14 are a lot less concerned about URM status than within the T14. On LSN, I see any number of students get into UVA or Penn and get dinged at GWU or Notre Dame.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 pm

State schools do AA. They're just allowed to call it "rounding the class" whereas they can't do that for UG.

If you get 165, you honestly have a chance at NYU, Penn and UVA RD, so I'd hold off.

blackandstrong

Bronze

Post by blackandstrong » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 pm

DON'T ED. Get a 166-170 and blanket the T14.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:41 pm

wbrother wrote:If you're asking if a AA URM male with a 3.1 and a 165 should ED to UVA, I would say no. You might loose out on much better offers. It seems like you have a lot of hypotheticals though. Do you have an LSAT score, or are you guessing what your December score will be?
Yeah, I am waiting on my December score. My grades won't be processed to be shipped to LSAC until the 20th(I put them on hold until final grades were submitted), and I understand it takes a while for that to reach LSAC and etc. Anyways, I Just did not want to ED, wait 15 days for a response, and then decide to drop the rest of my money on the remaining apps if I were dinged since it would be late January by then.

To the others, I understand USC isn't a state school, but I had understood it as the likes of UC Davis and UCLA could not outwardly state they boost for URMs. I know retake is the correct choice, and I will decide on that after my scores arrive. Thanks for the input though everyone.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”