Am I a URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
itachiuchiha

Am I a URM?

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 am

I am Pakistani, born in Pakistan. What effect does this have on my chances?

francesfarmer

Re: Am I a URM?

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 am

No/None. Sorry bro

blackandstrong

Postby blackandstrong » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am

itachiuchiha wrote:I am Pakistani, born in Pakistan. What effect does this have on my chances?

You are not a URM.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 am

francesfarmer wrote:No/None. Sorry bro

darn

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm

You would be considered an "international applicant", but not a URM.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:29 pm

He lives in Florida, not an international applicant.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:31 pm

If South Florida, then the issue is still in play. :D

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If South Florida, then the issue is still in play. :D

yup sofla

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:35 am

Dude what the sh!t... the title of your thread is literally the title of a 25+ page thread at the very top of the first page of the URM Forum:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35568

Also, try not to "darn it" at not being a URM. Under-Represented Minorities don't exactly have it easy in this country, so seeing spoiled a-hats trying to ease into LS this way then being frustrated they can't do it kind of just pisses me off. I've seen your other posts and you frankly just don't want to study for the LSAT very hard. Your GPA is good, study for the LSAT, get into a good school.

Anyway, no, you're not a URM. Read the first post in the link I posted above for more info.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Dude what the sh!t... the title of your thread is literally the title of a 25+ page thread at the very top of the first page of the URM Forum:

Also, try not to "darn it" at not being a URM. Under-Represented Minorities don't exactly have it easy in this country, so seeing spoiled a-hats trying to ease into LS this way then being frustrated they can't do it kind of just pisses me off. I've seen your other posts and you frankly just don't want to study for the LSAT very hard. Your GPA is good, study for the LSAT, get into a good school.

Anyway, no, you're not a URM. Read the first post in the link I posted above for more info.

thanks for the advice my friend. I've been studying extremely hard! I just need some confidence

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:38 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Dude what the sh!t... the title of your thread is literally the title of a 25+ page thread at the very top of the first page of the URM Forum:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 14&t=35568

I don't think Pakistani's have it any easier in the US than URMs.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:47 pm

mattviphky wrote:

I can tell you right now, it is harder. especially being a Muslim, and having the last name: Hussain

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 pm

mattviphky wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 14&t=35568

http://www.ehow.com/how_4722052_use-apostrophe-correctly.html

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

izha

Postby izha » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:39 am

itachiuchiha wrote:
mattviphky wrote:

I can tell you right now, it is harder. especially being a Muslim, and having the last name: Hussain

With the last name like that no fun at all on the other hand if it's a middle name...

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Whew, lay off a bit man, he was "darn it"-ing the fact that he doesn't get a boost and yet he's still a minority in the States. You think he doesn't have the same problems a lot of URMs do being Pakistani? Especially in this day and age, that's probably one of the most difficult minorities to be, but he's not getting hand outs because he happens to be in a group that not only has little representation in law school (numerically) but almost none in the states (numerically), so his under-representedness comes out to be nil by the virtue that he doesn't have a built in community here either.

And, while I haven't studied this person, he probably isn't trying to "avoid studying hard", he just wants more of a cushion like everyone would. It's too bad he doesn't get to join the club, but there's no reason to flame him out of the thread for it.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:17 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:

Whew, lay off a bit man, he was "darn it"-ing the fact that he doesn't get a boost and yet he's still a minority in the States. You think he doesn't have the same problems a lot of URMs do being Pakistani? Especially in this day and age, that's probably one of the most difficult minorities to be, but he's not getting hand outs because he happens to be in a group that not only has little representation in law school (numerically) but almost none in the states (numerically), so his under-representedness comes out to be nil by the virtue that he doesn't have a built in community here either.

And, while I haven't studied this person, he probably isn't trying to "avoid studying hard", he just wants more of a cushion like everyone would. It's too bad he doesn't get to join the club, but there's no reason to flame him out of the thread for it.

Thank you!

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

Thank you!

Agreed on all accounts. Apologies for being too harsh. Best of luck Itachi.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”