Puerto Ricans Admitted at the T-14 Say Hi

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Anonimo

Puerto Ricans Admitted at the T-14 Say Hi

Postby Anonimo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:06 am

Saludos! I thought starting a thread about PR in the T-14 could be entertaining and maybe useful. We could share our experiences so far.

Feel free to say hi!

I think I overestimated the chances that I would receive a scholarship. I'm a little worried that I'll probably be paying full tuition plus living expenses. BigLaw is a way out, but after doing some late-in-the-process research, I found out that the odds of making it to BigLaw are not in our favor. I know my parents have some money but I don't want them to spend it on me. I'm at least free of undergrad debt. Whats your situation?
Last edited by Anonimo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Puerto Ricans Admitted at the T-14 Say Hi

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:18 am

Anonimo wrote:I found out that the odds of making it to BigLaw are not in our favor.

Why would you say that?

Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:50 am

What evidence do I have for it? I can't quote it right as I've been surfing a lot on the web. But I believe this is how it goes... URM for whatever reasons usually (cultural, responsibilities, etc.) do not perform well (lower third) in top law schools. I may believe that I'm different and that I will be on the top 10% but the statistics indicate that for some reason I won't do as well as others. Only very few urm make it to the top third. Big Law firms seem to care about diversity but not at the expense of the quality of their work, which is why these firms won't dig down to hire URM. The few that make it to the top will have to do. For AA, though, this situation might be somewhat different.

I understand that this is not definitive and that PR do make it to large firms, but I believe you can see why I'm a bit worried.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:19 pm

URMs tend to have lower stats than other admits, but that does not guarantee them doing worse. It's also important to note that LSAT/GPA only account for about 20% of 1L grades. And that being median at a T14 isn't a death knell for getting biglaw. There are opportunities for minorities such as diversity SAs and diversity career fairs.

I think you're being overly dramatic by saying the odds aren't in your favor. They are approximately as good as any other 1L (which for most of the T14 is something like 50-60%).

Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:46 am

I concur with most of what you are saying, which is the same thing I'm stating. I said that I knew that this disadvantage was not definitive or a guarantee that I'll do worse. However, I believe the statistic don't lie and there is a disadvantage (whatever it is) for URM. What I don't understand is why are you saying I'm being overly dramatic? My argument is based on facts. You must see the number of urm students in law schools and the number that are hired, retained and/or are partners are a firm. All I'm saying is I thought URM non-AA had a good chance at Biglaw once they attended top law but this is definitely not the case and the majority end up on the lower quartile of their respective class. I find it perfectly reasonable that I am a little worried/nervous or whatever.

angflos

Postby angflos » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Checking in here, so far only gotten accepted to Boalt.

I didn't receive anything about money, if they were gonna give me some would I have known already?

Anyway, I'm not too worried about others underperforming in law school. I plan on kicking ass.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”