AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
dowu

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby dowu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:17 pm

JayJones78 wrote:upadate:

Accepted at American!

honestly, I think there is little to no chance I will attend due to everything I have read about AU here, but if people have other or more thoughts about American I'd love to hear!

Dont go to AU dude.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

Accepted at American!

honestly, I think there is little to no chance I will attend due to everything I have read about AU here, but if people have other or more thoughts about American I'd love to hear!

Congrats!! I should put you on to my black male friend who attends there at the moment. A 3L who secured NYC BIGLAW. Let me know.

Oh, and BTW, for NW AJD have you considered taking the GMATs? They also accept this in lieu of the LSATs.

Thanks, I have but a)my math skills are very vey bad... b) the deadline for NW AJD is to be complete by 1/15 (I just went complete the other day). I did consider it after my on-campus interview just before thanksgiving. Then I took a GMAT diagnostic and quickly put that idea to rest... :oops:

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:

Accepted at American!

Dont go to AU dude.

If it came down to W&L and AU for the OP, AU all the way.

OP, I advise you speak to students from both campuses to get a more balanced perspective. Not just TLS.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:

Accepted at American!

Dont go to AU dude.

At this point, this is my strategy as well. But as with W&L this cycle is not even starting to shape up and there are still many many things to consider.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Accepted at American!

Congrats!! I should put you on to my black male friend who attends there at the moment. A 3L who secured NYC BIGLAW. Let me know.

Oh, and BTW, for NW AJD have you considered taking the GMATs? They also accept this in lieu of the LSATs.

Thanks, I have but a)my math skills are very vey bad... b) the deadline for NW AJD is to be complete by 1/15 (I just went complete the other day). I did consider it after my on-campus interview just before thanksgiving. Then I took a GMAT diagnostic and quickly put that idea to rest... :oops:

Aww man, I wish you took up a tutor or something back in November. My friend is also applying to the program and is due to take the GMAT tomorrow after bombing the LSATs and is finding the GMAT far more easier to study for. She is also a fellow AA applicant.

Anyway, here's to hoping it all works out and you're attending where you need to come this Fall.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:26 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

Accepted at American!

Dont go to AU dude.

OP, I advise you speak to students from both campuses to get a more balanced perspective. Not just TLS.

Im not sure why you would advise taking on AU at full price. At the non-discounted rate, you would be looking at just around 250,000 worth of debt. Do you understand how crippling that debt can be for one's future? Not only is it very expensive to attend this school, a quick glance at LST shows that they're employment numbers aren't doing well either.

OP, you need to go to a school with some money, at the very least. Do not do this to yourself. At minimal, you should study and try the LSAT again when you can. I know it sucks (I have to retake as well) but it's the best next step you can take.

Good luck.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:28 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

Accepted at American!

Dont go to AU dude.

Im not sure why you would advise taking on AU at full price. At the non-discounted rate, you would be looking at just around 250,000 worth of debt. Do you understand how crippling that debt can be for one's future? Not only is it very expensive to attend this school, a quick glance at LST shows that they're employment numbers aren't doing well either.

OP, you need to go to a school with some money, at the very least. Do not do this to yourself. At minimal, you should study and try the LSAT again when you can. I know it sucks (I have to retake as well) but it's the best next step you can take.

Good luck.

Is W&L at sticker better for OP? If he only had those two choices and had to choose one, which then?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 pm

AU wrote:•35.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This includes an unknown number school-funded jobs, but it is as high as 0.4%.
•56.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•63.4% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=american
W&L wrote:•55% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs.
•65.9% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•75.2% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:37 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:Im not sure why you would advise taking on AU at full price. At the non-discounted rate, you would be looking at just around 250,000 worth of debt. Do you understand how crippling that debt can be for one's future? Not only is it very expensive to attend this school, a quick glance at LST shows that they're employment numbers aren't doing well either.

Good luck.

Is W&L at sticker better for OP? If he only had those two choices and had to choose one, which then?

Well, I mean, the credited response really is to retake that LSAT until he hits at least X school's median LSAT.

But, if he had to choose between the two, from a statistical standpoint, W&L would be better. It costs a little bit less (20k) and has better placement(by far) than AU does.

I like that OP is applying to get his feet wet, to see where he stands. He can clearly get into some of these schools, but in all honestly, none of them are worth paying full price for. He really needs to take time to master that LSAT. It's a sonofabitch, but from reading OP's poasts, I can just tell that a 151 is not his ceiling. He can do better with the right help/tutoring. He sounds like a smart dude. Lets just hope he makes the right decision.
Last edited by dowu on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:40 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:Im not sure why you would advise taking on AU at full price. At the non-discounted rate, you would be looking at just around 250,000 worth of debt. Do you understand how crippling that debt can be for one's future? Not only is it very expensive to attend this school, a quick glance at LST shows that they're employment numbers aren't doing well either.

Good luck.

Well, I mean, the credited response really is to retake that LSAT until he hits at least X school's median LSAT.

But, if he had to choose between the two, from a statistical standpoint, W&L would be better. It costs a little bit less (20k) and has better placement(by far) than AU does.

I like that OP is applying to get his feet wet, to see where he stands. He can clearly get into some of these schools, but in all honestly, none of them are worth paying full price for. He really needs to take time to master that LSAT. It's a sonofabitch, but I from reading OP's poasts, I can just tell that a 151 is not his ceiling. He can do better with the right help/tutoring.

I agree, but unfortunately OP said this was it for him with respect to the LSATs.

I'm hoping he can get better schools later on in the cycle.

Nova, I didn't know of the statistics. I just thought American placed better given the # of AA male/female lawyers I know who landed BIGLAW/government jobs from American. I guess they were fortunate..*Kanye shrug*

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:43 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Good luck.

I like that OP is applying to get his feet wet, to see where he stands. He can clearly get into some of these schools, but in all honestly, none of them are worth paying full price for. He really needs to take time to master that LSAT. It's a sonofabitch, but I from reading OP's poasts, I can just tell that a 151 is not his ceiling. He can do better with the right help/tutoring.

I agree, but unfortunately OP said this was it for him with respect to the LSATs.

I'm hoping he can get better schools later on in the cycle.

Nova, I didn't know of the statistics. I just thought American placed better given the # of AA male/female lawyers I know who landed BIGLAW/government jobs from American. I guess they were fortunate..*Kanye shrug*

Your anecdotes are just that; anecdotes. They will give OP a false hope. If he goes to these schools at full price with a really low LSAT score, he is going to have one hell of a time competing with his classmates. He might as well compete with them at a reduced price, if anything.

OP, you should try to negotiate some money from these people. I've heard of it working for some people. If you do, it would be great if you could share your negotiating experience with others. Let me know if you have any questions.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:46 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Good luck.

I like that OP is applying to get his feet wet, to see where he stands. He can clearly get into some of these schools, but in all honestly, none of them are worth paying full price for. He really needs to take time to master that LSAT. It's a sonofabitch, but from reading OP's poasts, I can just tell that a 151 is not his ceiling. He can do better with the right help/tutoring. He sounds like a smart dude. Lets just hope he makes the right decision.

Thank you for this. Trust me I have considered it but at this point in my life, at 32 years of age, I am just not ready to take ANOTHER year out of my life to try and master an exam I have no idea if I'll be able to. Just some background: I started undergrad at 29 after leaving a business partnership I had (that I began after having another full time job) so I have been out of the workplace for a while. I am just not ready for another year of this. I know what I want to do for the rest of my life and I want to get there. If I knew that I could score in the mid 160s than I would put more thought into it, but I already took so much time for the LSAT (on my best days I PT'd 160/161) and I just don't think it's the right path for me.

We'll see what happens while I'm a 1L. Perhaps transferring up will also be an option I could take advantage of. However, I am not going to choose a law school with transferring in mind. I won't go to a law school I won't want to graduate from.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Thank you for this. Trust me I have considered it but at this point in my life, at 32 years of age, I am just not ready to take ANOTHER year out of my life to try and master an exam I have no idea if I'll be able to.

But you'll take on a lifetime paying back for loans from a supbar law school? It may take another year to try and master the LSAT but it can save a lifetime of paying off for graduate loans. Higher LSAT means less loans. No URM should be paying sticker to attend any law school in this country.

I know we've debated this ad nauseum, but its worth revisiting what's at stake.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:53 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Thank you for this. Trust me I have considered it but at this point in my life, at 32 years of age, I am just not ready to take ANOTHER year out of my life to try and master an exam I have no idea if I'll be able to.

But you'll take on a lifetime paying back for loans from a supbar law school? It may take another year to try and master the LSAT but it can save a lifetime of paying off for graduate loans. Higher LSAT means less loans. No URM should be paying sticker to attend any law school in this country.

I know we've debated this ad nauseum, but its worth revisiting what's at stake.

I agree with you. I guess it would be worth while to (re)visit this at the end of the cycle or when I will have to make real decisions on where/if to attend. At this point I am going to ride the cycle and see what happens :shock:

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 am

Just FYI, AU was super stingy with money for me as an ORM 2 years ago. Still worth negotiating for you given your different circumstances, but don't hold out hope for getting much more than an acceptance from them. My advice for you is not to take up AU on their offer unless you get a full ride, preferably without stips.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:08 am

spleenworship wrote:Just FYI, AU was super stingy with money for me as an ORM 2 years ago. Still worth negotiating for you given your different circumstances, but don't hold out hope for getting much more than an acceptance from them. My advice for you is not to take up AU on their offer unless you get a full ride, preferably without stips.

Thanks. For me AU, as some other schools on my list, are more safety schools "if all else fails". I won't attend it withought a heavy scholly which I don't think it will be given my numbers. But other than COA I'm also looking heavily on COL. there are few schools in big cities I'll go to vs. schools in a small college town. I just don't see the value. I come from a big city and was raised in one. That's not a selling feature for me.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Update:
Decision made at ND. Now I have to wait for snail mail....
I honesty think my chances are slim to get in, but we'll see.... :roll:

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:27 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Update:

Jay, how does ND usually contact admitted students? Is it by snail mail or do they call/email?

Here's to hoping!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Update:

Jay, how does ND usually contact admitted students? Is it by snail mail or do they call/email?

Here's to hoping!

Snail mail only!! :shock: I don't get why. It's not 1986!! Just send me an email or call me!! :twisted:

Edit: that's how they communicate for admit or deny. All by snail mail

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Update:

Just got $ letter from W&L:
5K/year with a 3.15 GPA.
Honestly, with my numbers coming in (151/3.41) I was surprised I got accepted and even more surprised I wasn't offered sticker. W&L is still high on my list.

I was also just rejected from ND via snail mail. Hoenstly Im okay with it. It was never a school I really wanted to attend, it's job prospects and competition in the Midwest kind of troubled me and I am unsure if it was a good fit for me regardless.

I guess that with SO MANY apps in play and my numbers I'll prob see more rejections coming my way in the next couple of weeks, although I still have conviction that good things will come out of this cycle.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 am

Congrats on money from W&L man. Sorry bout ND, but screw it, I hear it's a bitch to get a job from there anyway. Keep keepin us updated, I'm sure it's gonna be good in the end.

ETA: is 3.15 their median at W&L?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 am

spleenworship wrote:Congrats on money from W&L man. Sorry bout ND, but screw it, I hear it's a bitch to get a job from there anyway. Keep keepin us updated, I'm sure it's gonna be good in the end.

ETA: is 3.15 their median at W&L?

Thank you :)
Yes, that is the median at W&L. Re ND I am really okay with it. I don't think it's a good fit for me regardless of anything. I am happy with what I got from W&L because I was expecting sticker :shock:

I am really hope for a lot of movement starting Tuesday...

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:02 pm

I like this thread. I have similar stats and URM as well. I just didn't do my applications yet :cry:

Congrats on W&L. I will certainly be applying there and we'll be keeping a close eye on this thread from here on out.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:10 pm

NewYorkL wrote:I like this thread. I have similar stats and URM as well. I just didn't do my applications yet :cry:

Congrats on W&L. I will certainly be applying there and we'll be keeping a close eye on this thread from here on out.

Thank you. You still haven't applied anywhere?

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:I like this thread. I have similar stats and URM as well. I just didn't do my applications yet :cry:

Thank you. You still haven't applied anywhere?

Not yet. I'm putting finishing touches on my personal and diversity statements and should start applying in the next few days.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”