AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby PDaddy » Mon May 27, 2013 6:49 am

BlaqBella wrote:Apply to the following:

Vanderbilt
George Washington
College of William & Mary
American
Howard
Tulane*
Minnesota*
UNC*

*Keep in mind that attending these schools may limit you to only practicing law within the school's region.

- Write "Why X" law schools for Vanderbilt, GW and William & Mary.

- Start applying for scholarships as soon as possible to help mitigate costs to attend one of the aforementioned at sticker price.

- Remember, the greatest risk in life is not taking one. Put your all into your applications and see who takes a bite. Good luck!


Be careful about calling Tulane and Howard "regional", because they place students more nationally than might be expected. I know that this is still a "down time" in the markets, but URM's from these schools still have a bit of an advantage. Tulane and Howard are easily the most unique schools, especially for their rankings, which both transcend.

The rest of this post is credited.

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby okaygo » Mon May 27, 2013 11:17 am

I'm pretty sure BlaqBella was only saying that about the schools that were marked.

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby NewYorkL » Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Same boat as JayJones here except I'm from New York. You guys would choose GW over Fordham?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 29, 2013 4:57 pm

NewYorkL wrote:Same boat as JayJones here except I'm from New York. You guys would choose GW over Fordham?


Are we assuming no scholly at either?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby sublime » Wed May 29, 2013 10:49 pm

..

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby NewYorkL » Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm

Correct. Same GPA/ LSAT, Same goal, no scholly,
and def attending this Fall.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby sublime » Wed May 29, 2013 11:20 pm

..

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 29, 2013 11:29 pm

If I were choosing between Fordham and GW and wanted NYC big law and all else were equal, I would choose Fordham. Big law placement overall is quite similar and being in the place you want to work has got to be better than not being in it.

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby NewYorkL » Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Well I just live in NYC. Wouldn't mind staying but wouldn't mind leaving either. The most important factor for me would be the best chance at employment and possibly big law in anyone of these two markets.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:34 am

..

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:52 am

second deposit was paid to W&L as the waiting game continues with the GW (and others) WL...

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Xs20 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Jay if you're of the opinion that employment doesn't matter in this range of schools then why not just go to W&L since you like it there?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Xs20 wrote:Jay if you're of the opinion that employment doesn't matter in this range of schools then why not just go to W&L since you like it there?


Because if I'll see that GW can give me a better shot at biglaw I'll seriously consider taking their offer

Edit: if indeed I'll get an offer....

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Xs20 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:15 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Jay if you're of the opinion that employment doesn't matter in this range of schools then why not just go to W&L since you like it there?


Because if I'll see that GW can give me a better shot at biglaw I'll seriously consider taking their offer

Edit: if indeed I'll get an offer....

LST shows that, right? 27% vs 10%

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Jay if you're of the opinion that employment doesn't matter in this range of schools then why not just go to W&L since you like it there?


Because if I'll see that GW can give me a better shot at biglaw I'll seriously consider taking their offer

Edit: if indeed I'll get an offer....

LST shows that, right? 27% vs 10%


Correct. Look, I'm not against any advice given here or think that my 'agenda' is spot on. I read, do research and evaluate things on a daily basis. If indeed I'll get an offer from GW I'll heavily consider it and see how going there will help me get the employment I desire.

JazzyMac
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JazzyMac » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:24 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Jay if you're of the opinion that employment doesn't matter in this range of schools then why not just go to W&L since you like it there?


Because if I'll see that GW can give me a better shot at biglaw I'll seriously consider taking their offer

Edit: if indeed I'll get an offer....

LST shows that, right? 27% vs 10%


Correct. Look, I'm not against any advice given here or think that my 'agenda' is spot on. I read, do research and evaluate things on a daily basis. If indeed I'll get an offer from GW I'll heavily consider it and see how going there will help me get the employment I desire.


Sent you a PM. :)




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests