AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
dawyzest1
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby dawyzest1 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 pm

JayJones78 wrote:UPDATE:

was just WL at Cadozo. This is very funny, as they waitlisted me months ago for the May program and when I asked that my WL status will be moved to fall start they said they cannot do that and then put my file back in the pot and I was complete up until now. I joined the WL to see how things go there, but I don't know why they WL me again. Since I am also WL at Fordahm, it makes things kind of interesting.


Wow, Jay. You better stay as flexible as you can as you're making plans. You could be pretty much anywhere come first day of classes!

Hang in there, I still have hope you get off one or two of these WLs.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Icculus » Fri May 03, 2013 12:05 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:UPDATE:

was just WL at Cadozo. This is very funny, as they waitlisted me months ago for the May program and when I asked that my WL status will be moved to fall start they said they cannot do that and then put my file back in the pot and I was complete up until now. I joined the WL to see how things go there, but I don't know why they WL me again. Since I am also WL at Fordahm, it makes things kind of interesting.


Wow, Jay. You better stay as flexible as you can as you're making plans. You could be pretty much anywhere come first day of classes!

Hang in there, I still have hope you get off one or two of these WLs.


And Jay, FYI I have a friend at school who actually started 1L at a different school, got in off our WL after his classes had started and he basically picked up and moved 1/2 across the country on very short notice. This is something to keep in mind.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Yes, I am aware that all plans have a possibility to change at a day's notice which is why I am not closing on housing anywhere yet.
I am also overseas until first week of Aug.... :roll:

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby francesfarmer » Fri May 03, 2013 12:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Yes, I am aware that all plans have a possibility to change at a day's notice which is why I am not closing on housing anywhere yet.
I am also overseas until first week of Aug.... :roll:

Your life is gonna be such a whirlwind this fall.

Good luck man, rooting for you!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby spleenworship » Sat May 04, 2013 2:02 am

JayJones78 wrote:Yes, I am aware that all plans have a possibility to change at a day's notice which is why I am not closing on housing anywhere yet.
I am also overseas until first week of Aug.... :roll:



Dude, there's a good chance your cycle will be epic.

I'm hoping for ya!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JXander » Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Yes, I am aware that all plans have a possibility to change at a day's notice which is why I am not closing on housing anywhere yet.
I am also overseas until first week of Aug.... :roll:

Oh DUDE. That's gotta be crazy. And I thought my current situation was up in the air...

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat May 04, 2013 3:24 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Yes, I am aware that all plans have a possibility to change at a day's notice which is why I am not closing on housing anywhere yet.
I am also overseas until first week of Aug.... :roll:


Hey buddy, I'm cheering for you too! It's been neat to follow your cycle. I'm crossing my fingers that you get off of GW's WL. Even if you don't, there are much worse schools than W&L (which admittedly isn't saying much, but still). Keep your chin up.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 am

Haven't written on my own thread for a while, mainly because not much is happening with my cycle as of now.

I think all the schools I'm WL at (Colorado, Cardozo, GW & Fordham) are waiting for the 2nd deposit date to see where things lay with their class so I don't expect to hear anything, good or bad, until the second week of June.

What is happening is that I am still reluctant to put any deposit down on housing at W&L. I am unsure if this is a wise choice or not...

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 am

JayJones78 wrote:What is happening is that I am still reluctant to put any deposit down on housing at W&L. I am unsure if this is a wise choice or not...

It's a wise choice. It's still relatively early as far as the housing hunt. And it would suck if you signed a lease and then ended up getting admitted off the WL to a different school. Getting out of a lease can be a bitch

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 am

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:What is happening is that I am still reluctant to put any deposit down on housing at W&L. I am unsure if this is a wise choice or not...

It's a wise choice. It's still relatively early as far as the housing hunt. And it would suck if you signed a lease and then ended up getting admitted off the WL to a different school. Getting out of a lease can be a bitch


yup. that's why I am still waiting, although GW says that for now they have no seats for WL applicants :|

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 am

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:What is happening is that I am still reluctant to put any deposit down on housing at W&L. I am unsure if this is a wise choice or not...

It's a wise choice. It's still relatively early as far as the housing hunt. And it would suck if you signed a lease and then ended up getting admitted off the WL to a different school. Getting out of a lease can be a bitch


yup. that's why I am still waiting, although GW says that for now they have no seats for WL applicants :|

It's GW, plenty of ppl will withdraw once the initial excitement of being admitted settles down and they start to calculate their COA. Same with Fordham

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:What is happening is that I am still reluctant to put any deposit down on housing at W&L. I am unsure if this is a wise choice or not...

It's a wise choice. It's still relatively early as far as the housing hunt. And it would suck if you signed a lease and then ended up getting admitted off the WL to a different school. Getting out of a lease can be a bitch


yup. that's why I am still waiting, although GW says that for now they have no seats for WL applicants :|

It's GW, plenty of ppl will withdraw once the initial excitement of being admitted settles down and they start to calculate their COA. Same with Fordham


I agree. and in a related note, there is a room in a 2bd 1.5 bath house around Lexington for the astonishing price of around $350/month
for that price I will prob find a door nob in DC

talesofyore
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby talesofyore » Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 am

JayJones78 wrote:
I agree. and in a related note, there is a room in a 2bd 1.5 bath house around Lexington for the astonishing price of around $350/month
for that price I will prob find a door nob in DC


One of the things I'm most nostalgic for with regards to my initial plan of attending W&L.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:12 am

talesofyore wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I agree. and in a related note, there is a room in a 2bd 1.5 bath house around Lexington for the astonishing price of around $350/month
for that price I will prob find a door nob in DC


One of the things I'm most nostalgic for with regards to my initial plan of attending W&L.


I KNOW!!
it's nothing short of ridicules

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:03 am

big dilemma, and I was wondering if I could get some advice here in my home thread.

As of now, I am committed to W&L. my first deposit is paid and the next deposit date is 6/1. I am also WL at Colorado, GW, Fordahm and Cardozo. Out of the 4, the only true contender to W&L is GW. I had a great phone call with one of the heads at GW admissions and I am in a positive somewhat POV in regards to receiving an offer off the the WL. That said, who know what will happen. In addition, and regardless to any of the above, the $750 of the second deposit is a very hefty sum of money for me to pay right now. I tried to communicate with W&L in order to extend the deposit date but they would not budge. Instead, they offered to completely wave the deposit if I withdraw all my pending apps immediately. For me, that is a lot to ask at this point. I am doing a lot of HW on GW in order to see if it's a wise choice for me to take if offered (thoughts on that?) and I am unsure if I am at a point where I am ready to give away all my cards and seal the deal. That said, I really really like W&L and think it's a great fit for me. Overall, I am very happy with the school and can definitely see myself there this coming fall. So, thoughts on this? advice? what should I do? just pay up and ride the WL trains? commit and be done with it? I am definitely torn at this point.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby DaRascal » Sun May 26, 2013 11:16 am

That's tough, JayJones, but if I were you I would gamble on the GW waitlist and not put down the second deposit.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Icculus » Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 am

JayJones78 wrote:big dilemma, and I was wondering if I could get some advice here in my home thread.

As of now, I am committed to W&L. my first deposit is paid and the next deposit date is 6/1. I am also WL at Colorado, GW, Fordahm and Cardozo. Out of the 4, the only true contender to W&L is GW. I had a great phone call with one of the heads at GW admissions and I am in a positive somewhat POV in regards to receiving an offer off the the WL. That said, who know what will happen. In addition, and regardless to any of the above, the $750 of the second deposit is a very hefty sum of money for me to pay right now. I tried to communicate with W&L in order to extend the deposit date but they would not budge. Instead, they offered to completely wave the deposit if I withdraw all my pending apps immediately. For me, that is a lot to ask at this point. I am doing a lot of HW on GW in order to see if it's a wise choice for me to take if offered (thoughts on that?) and I am unsure if I am at a point where I am ready to give away all my cards and seal the deal. That said, I really really like W&L and think it's a great fit for me. Overall, I am very happy with the school and can definitely see myself there this coming fall. So, thoughts on this? advice? what should I do? just pay up and ride the WL trains? commit and be done with it? I am definitely torn at this point.


Jay, if you really think you would go to GW if offered you need to ride out the WL and pay the $750. I know the money is a big hit, but you only get one shot at this as of now so I think you need to keep all your options open.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Icculus wrote:


Jay, if you really think you would go to GW if offered you need to ride out the WL and pay the $750. I know the money is a big hit, but you only get one shot at this as of now so I think you need to keep all your options open.
[/quote]

I tend to agree but I'm also trying to calculate why would GW be a better choice for me than W&L. Iv done a lot of homework about it and definitely see its attributes but also would want to get a better understanding as to why it's the better choice to make.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Xs20 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:06 pm

JayJones78 wrote:I tend to agree but I'm also trying to calculate why would GW be a better choice for me than W&L. Iv done a lot of homework about it and definitely see its attributes but also would want to get a better understanding as to why it's the better choice to make.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

It's not even close. If you're basically paying sticker for both (and dead set on going this year), I don't see why you would pick W&L over GW. If you're just wanting to hear that W&L will be easier to "make yourself noticeable" at and transfer up to HYSCCN, again, this should not be a factor in your decision whatsoever.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Icculus » Sun May 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I tend to agree but I'm also trying to calculate why would GW be a better choice for me than W&L. Iv done a lot of homework about it and definitely see its attributes but also would want to get a better understanding as to why it's the better choice to make.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

It's not even close. If you're basically paying sticker for both (and dead set on going this year), I don't see why you would pick W&L over GW. If you're just wanting to hear that W&L will be easier to "make yourself noticeable" at and transfer up to HYSCCN, again, this should not be a factor in your decision whatsoever.


+1

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Icculus wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I tend to agree but I'm also trying to calculate why would GW be a better choice for me than W&L. Iv done a lot of homework about it and definitely see its attributes but also would want to get a better understanding as to why it's the better choice to make.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

It's not even close. If you're basically paying sticker for both (and dead set on going this year), I don't see why you would pick W&L over GW. If you're just wanting to hear that W&L will be easier to "make yourself noticeable" at and transfer up to HYSCCN, again, this should not be a factor in your decision whatsoever.


+1


Re the bolded not at all!! If I wanted that I wouldn't have posted here and do whatever I think I should do. I post in order to hear (read) others' opinions in order to make a calculated decision that also works into my overall plan (i.e advices on the decision between GW and W&L vs. retaking)

EDIT: re GW's Employment Score, isn't it that high because of a lot of school funded jobs? unsure if it's a fact or just something I heard

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Icculus » Sun May 26, 2013 5:26 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I tend to agree but I'm also trying to calculate why would GW be a better choice for me than W&L. Iv done a lot of homework about it and definitely see its attributes but also would want to get a better understanding as to why it's the better choice to make.


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

It's not even close. If you're basically paying sticker for both (and dead set on going this year), I don't see why you would pick W&L over GW. If you're just wanting to hear that W&L will be easier to "make yourself noticeable" at and transfer up to HYSCCN, again, this should not be a factor in your decision whatsoever.


+1


Re the bolded not at all!! If I wanted that I wouldn't have posted here and do whatever I think I should do. I post in order to hear (read) others' opinions in order to make a calculated decision that also works into my overall plan (i.e advices on the decision between GW and W&L vs. retaking)

EDIT: re GW's Employment Score, isn't it that high because of a lot of school funded jobs? unsure if it's a fact or just something I heard


There may be some school funded jobs, but it has a large firm score 2.5 times as high as W&L and from what I remember you are shooting for BigLaw so that is a very important number. Not to mention, a 30%+ difference in employment score is not just because of school funded jobs. Knowing your goals and history I think GW does give you a better shot at what you are looking for and legal employment in general.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Icculus wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Xs20 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

It's not even close. If you're basically paying sticker for both (and dead set on going this year), I don't see why you would pick W&L over GW. If you're just wanting to hear that W&L will be easier to "make yourself noticeable" at and transfer up to HYSCCN, again, this should not be a factor in your decision whatsoever.


+1


Re the bolded not at all!! If I wanted that I wouldn't have posted here and do whatever I think I should do. I post in order to hear (read) others' opinions in order to make a calculated decision that also works into my overall plan (i.e advices on the decision between GW and W&L vs. retaking)



EDIT: re GW's Employment Score, isn't it that high because of a lot of school funded jobs? unsure if it's a fact or just something I heard


There may be some school funded jobs, but it has a large firm score 2.5 times as high as W&L and from what I remember you are shooting for BigLaw so that is a very important number. Not to mention, a 30%+ difference in employment score is not just because of school funded jobs. Knowing your goals and history I think GW does give you a better shot at what you are looking for and legal employment in general.


This is starting to look like the case :/ I am very torn at this point. From everything I am reading and researching it appears that GW can be a very good option for me. That said, I currently do not have have an offer off the WL and don't know if one will come or not..

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Icculus » Mon May 27, 2013 3:01 am

JayJones78 wrote:
This is starting to look like the case :/ I am very torn at this point. From everything I am reading and researching it appears that GW can be a very good option for me. That said, I currently do not have have an offer off the WL and don't know if one will come or not..


I totally see where you are coming from. My guess is there will be a lot of WL movement at schools in the GW range so I think as much as it sucks you need to pay the $750 and stay on the GW WL. Worst case is you get GW and it's like a $750 tuition loss. I say keep your options open. In the long run this will give you fewer regrets.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby sublime » Mon May 27, 2013 3:42 am

..




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rararara111 and 1 guest