AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Xs20 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Jay - hypothetically speaking, what are you planning on doing if you aren't able to get biglaw (which is 9x more likely), and you end up $200k in the hole without a job, or in a job with a salary that doesn't allow you to service that kind of debt efficiently?

I know you say you don't think the employment numbers matter, but given that W&L's numbers are weighted so heavily against getting into biglaw, have you seriously entertained this scenario as the most probable one?


I have and luckily I'm in a situation where I will be okay. Nevertheless I have faith in what I bring into the table, in diversity hiring and my own abilities to preform.

EDIT: regardless of that, I will be gunning very very hard for biglaw in every possible avenue ( i.e I am going in thinking that the fact that I'll be okay if I don't get it does not even exist. Fact to that is that I am still taking on all the loans and everything needed to finance LS)

I understand that, but realize that everyone in your class will also have faith in what they "bring to the table" and they'll all be just as smart, if not smarter than you. It seems like you have some serious special snowflake syndrome going on here. What do you mean by "you'll be okay" if you end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no job or with a 40k/yr job where you're barely able to pay the interest that accumulates on the principal? Again, this is the most probable scenario, and it just seems like you are not acknowledging this. Everyone will be gunning "very very hard" for biglaw, not just you, and statistically speaking, you are twice as likely to be unemployed than you are to get biglaw.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:58 am

Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Jay - hypothetically speaking, what are you planning on doing if you aren't able to get biglaw (which is 9x more likely), and you end up $200k in the hole without a job, or in a job with a salary that doesn't allow you to service that kind of debt efficiently?

I know you say you don't think the employment numbers matter, but given that W&L's numbers are weighted so heavily against getting into biglaw, have you seriously entertained this scenario as the most probable one?


I have and luckily I'm in a situation where I will be okay. Nevertheless I have faith in what I bring into the table, in diversity hiring and my own abilities to preform.

EDIT: regardless of that, I will be gunning very very hard for biglaw in every possible avenue ( i.e I am going in thinking that the fact that I'll be okay if I don't get it does not even exist. Fact to that is that I am still taking on all the loans and everything needed to finance LS)

I understand that, but realize that everyone in your class will also have faith in what they "bring to the table" and they'll all be just as smart, if not smarter than you. It seems like you have some serious special snowflake syndrome going on here. What do you mean by "you'll be okay" if you end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no job or with a 40k/yr job where you're barely able to pay the interest that accumulates on the principal? Again, this is the most probable scenario, and it just seems like you are not acknowledging this. Everyone will be gunning "very very hard" for biglaw, not just you, and statistically speaking, you are twice as likely to be unemployed than you are to get biglaw.


I truly respect your opinion. Please respect mine. I am going to LS this fall. I am not going to take a year off and retake. All this really doesn't apply here anymore. The discussion about what will happen if I go to W&L or GW at sticket and not get biglaw doesn't help me in any way.

Edit: I really don't seem to be harsh and I appreciate all the great advice I got here all year, but giving me this info just does't help. I knew all these facts coming in. If you read through the thread you'd see Im going to do this with eyes wide open. It's just my choice
Last edited by JayJones78 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am

Ya know I've talked to jayjones a bunch and gone back and forth about this. But I actually get his viewpoint and think I don't mind him attending W&L at that price, (although I wouldn't do it) as a W&L degree is definitely better than a degree from his other options at this time. My main concern is that you're not even entertaining the idea of a backup plan if you do not make big law. Id feel a lot better if you said something like "I'm gonna gun for NYC big law day one BUT if I do not make it I am more than happy to do PI in this field." Just look at the vale of tears thread which is filled with stories of 3Ls who were Big Law or Bust and didn't make it and because they never entertained a back up plan they're stuck.

Eta: didn't see your post before I made this. Sorry.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:04 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Ya know I've talked to jayjones a bunch and gone back and forth about this. But I actually get his viewpoint and think I don't mind him attending W&L at that price, (although I wouldn't do it) as a W&L degree is definitely better than a degree from his other options at this time. My main concern is that you're not even entertaining the idea of a backup plan if you do not make big law. Id feel a lot better if you said something like "I'm gonna gun for NYC big law day one BUT if I do not make it I am more than happy to do PI in this field." Just look at the vale of tears thread which is filled with stories of 3Ls who were Big Law or Bust and didn't make it and because they never entertained a back up plan they're stuck.

Eta: didn't see your post before I made this. Sorry.


Re backup plan I wrote in the past that W&L is very appealing to me because if I don't get DC or NYC biglaw I'll be very content living and working in Richmond or Charlotte and attempt to work in their version of biglaw or midlaw

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:05 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Ya know I've talked to jayjones a bunch and gone back and forth about this. But I actually get his viewpoint and think I don't mind him attending W&L at that price, (although I wouldn't do it) as a W&L degree is definitely better than a degree from his other options at this time. My main concern is that you're not even entertaining the idea of a backup plan if you do not make big law. Id feel a lot better if you said something like "I'm gonna gun for NYC big law day one BUT if I do not make it I am more than happy to do PI in this field." Just look at the vale of tears thread which is filled with stories of 3Ls who were Big Law or Bust and didn't make it and because they never entertained a back up plan they're stuck.

Eta: didn't see your post before I made this. Sorry.


Unfortunately I don't think PI can ever be a fall back, it's super hard to get ITE.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Xs20 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:08 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Jay - hypothetically speaking, what are you planning on doing if you aren't able to get biglaw (which is 9x more likely), and you end up $200k in the hole without a job, or in a job with a salary that doesn't allow you to service that kind of debt efficiently?

I know you say you don't think the employment numbers matter, but given that W&L's numbers are weighted so heavily against getting into biglaw, have you seriously entertained this scenario as the most probable one?


I have and luckily I'm in a situation where I will be okay. Nevertheless I have faith in what I bring into the table, in diversity hiring and my own abilities to preform.

EDIT: regardless of that, I will be gunning very very hard for biglaw in every possible avenue ( i.e I am going in thinking that the fact that I'll be okay if I don't get it does not even exist. Fact to that is that I am still taking on all the loans and everything needed to finance LS)

I understand that, but realize that everyone in your class will also have faith in what they "bring to the table" and they'll all be just as smart, if not smarter than you. It seems like you have some serious special snowflake syndrome going on here. What do you mean by "you'll be okay" if you end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no job or with a 40k/yr job where you're barely able to pay the interest that accumulates on the principal? Again, this is the most probable scenario, and it just seems like you are not acknowledging this. Everyone will be gunning "very very hard" for biglaw, not just you, and statistically speaking, you are twice as likely to be unemployed than you are to get biglaw.


I truly respect your opinion. Please respect mine. I am going to LS this fall. I am not going to take a year off and retake. All this really doesn't apply here anymore. The discussion about what will happen if I go to W&L or GW at sticket and not get biglaw doesn't help me in any way.

Edit: I really don't seem to be harsh and I appreciate all the great advice I got here all year, but giving me this info just does't help. I knew all these facts coming in. If you read through the thread you'd see Im going to do this with eyes wide open. It's just my choice


Ok, but understand that this is not my opinion, these are facts (and I don't believe I was disrespecting any opinion of yours). I wasn't trying to tell you to retake or to not go to law school. I'm just honestly curious what you plan on doing in that scenario, because I haven't seen you seriously entertain the likelihood of that possibility. Since most people will be in the situation I described, I think it's at least worth thinking about so that you're not caught off guard in the unfortunate circumstance that you find yourself in that situation. That's all I'm trying to say.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 am

Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I have and luckily I'm in a situation where I will be okay. Nevertheless I have faith in what I bring into the table, in diversity hiring and my own abilities to preform.

EDIT: regardless of that, I will be gunning very very hard for biglaw in every possible avenue ( i.e I am going in thinking that the fact that I'll be okay if I don't get it does not even exist. Fact to that is that I am still taking on all the loans and everything needed to finance LS)

I understand that, but realize that everyone in your class will also have faith in what they "bring to the table" and they'll all be just as smart, if not smarter than you. It seems like you have some serious special snowflake syndrome going on here. What do you mean by "you'll be okay" if you end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no job or with a 40k/yr job where you're barely able to pay the interest that accumulates on the principal? Again, this is the most probable scenario, and it just seems like you are not acknowledging this. Everyone will be gunning "very very hard" for biglaw, not just you, and statistically speaking, you are twice as likely to be unemployed than you are to get biglaw.


I truly respect your opinion. Please respect mine. I am going to LS this fall. I am not going to take a year off and retake. All this really doesn't apply here anymore. The discussion about what will happen if I go to W&L or GW at sticket and not get biglaw doesn't help me in any way.

Edit: I really don't seem to be harsh and I appreciate all the great advice I got here all year, but giving me this info just does't help. I knew all these facts coming in. If you read through the thread you'd see Im going to do this with eyes wide open. It's just my choice


Ok, but understand that this is not my opinion, these are facts (and I don't believe I was disrespecting any opinion of yours). I wasn't trying to tell you to retake or to not go to law school. I'm just honestly curious what you plan on doing in that scenario, because I haven't seen you seriously entertain the likelihood of that possibility. Since most people will be in the situation I described, I think it's at least worth thinking about so that you're not caught off guard in the unfortunate circumstance that you find yourself in that situation. That's all I'm trying to say.


Iv taken these facts into consideration.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby danitt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 am

I feel like we've been over this a lot and now people seem to be going round and round things that were discussed waaaay back when Jay was still making decisions on schools.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:29 am

danitt wrote:I feel like we've been over this a lot and now people seem to be going round and round things that were discussed waaaay back when Jay was still making decisions on schools.


Pretty much

The real choice will be if to attend GW if offered a spot off the WL

By the way I am wondering if I'll get any need based aid from GW if they offer me a seat

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 am

JayJones78 wrote:
danitt wrote:I feel like we've been over this a lot and now people seem to be going round and round things that were discussed waaaay back when Jay was still making decisions on schools.


Pretty much

The real choice will be if to attend GW if offered a spot off the WL

By the way I am wondering if I'll get any need based aid from GW if they offer me a seat


At the risk of the TLS hivemind tearing me to shreds for suggesting that someone attend GW at sticker....I think it could be a good choice to attend if you get offered a spot off the WL.

Even a cursory browse of NYC/DC BigLaw sites clearly show that a lot more firms recruit out of GW than W&L. I mean yes this is probably offset to some degree by GW's immense class size, but BigLaw is never a safe bet for anyone anyway. And i'm sure firms occasionally hire applicants who submit resume's outside of normal OCI and recruitment, but considering the debt you'll expecting to incur at W&L and your BigLaw-or-Bust mentality, you might as well take some more debt at GW in exchange for more BigLaw exposure. Just my $0.02

ETA: Didn't see the part abt need-based grants. Noo idea, i didn't even know GW had that, but that could def help, but probably not a whole lot unless they decide to be unprecedentedly generous

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 am

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
danitt wrote:I feel like we've been over this a lot and now people seem to be going round and round things that were discussed waaaay back when Jay was still making decisions on schools.


Pretty much

The real choice will be if to attend GW if offered a spot off the WL

By the way I am wondering if I'll get any need based aid from GW if they offer me a seat


At the risk of the TLS hivemind tearing me to shreds for suggesting that someone attend GW at sticker....I think it could be a good choice to attend if you get offered a spot off the WL.

Even a cursory browse of NYC/DC BigLaw sites clearly show that a lot more firms recruit out of GW than W&L. I mean yes this is probably offset to some degree by GW's immense class size, but BigLaw is never a safe bet for anyone anyway. And i'm sure firms occasionally hire applicants who submit resume's outside of normal OCI and recruitment, but considering the debt you'll expecting to incur at W&L and your BigLaw-or-Bust mentality, you might as well take some more debt at GW in exchange for more BigLaw exposure. Just my $0.02

ETA: Didn't see the part abt need-based grants. Noo idea, i didn't even know GW had that, but that could def help, but probably not a whole lot unless they decide to be unprecedentedly generous


Great points as always cues!! Thanks!
I do think it's a slim chance with GW though :?

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
danitt wrote:I feel like we've been over this a lot and now people seem to be going round and round things that were discussed waaaay back when Jay was still making decisions on schools.


Pretty much

The real choice will be if to attend GW if offered a spot off the WL

By the way I am wondering if I'll get any need based aid from GW if they offer me a seat


At the risk of the TLS hivemind tearing me to shreds for suggesting that someone attend GW at sticker....I think it could be a good choice to attend if you get offered a spot off the WL.

Even a cursory browse of NYC/DC BigLaw sites clearly show that a lot more firms recruit out of GW than W&L. I mean yes this is probably offset to some degree by GW's immense class size, but BigLaw is never a safe bet for anyone anyway. And i'm sure firms occasionally hire applicants who submit resume's outside of normal OCI and recruitment, but considering the debt you'll expecting to incur at W&L and your BigLaw-or-Bust mentality, you might as well take some more debt at GW in exchange for more BigLaw exposure. Just my $0.02

ETA: Didn't see the part abt need-based grants. Noo idea, i didn't even know GW had that, but that could def help, but probably not a whole lot unless they decide to be unprecedentedly generous


What would the COA difference be between both schools? Also as far as big firm diversity hiring initiatives go, wouldn't he stand out more as a AA student at a very small school versus a very large school?

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby NanaP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 am

BigZuck wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
danitt wrote:I feel like we've been over this a lot and now people seem to be going round and round things that were discussed waaaay back when Jay was still making decisions on schools.


Pretty much

The real choice will be if to attend GW if offered a spot off the WL

By the way I am wondering if I'll get any need based aid from GW if they offer me a seat


At the risk of the TLS hivemind tearing me to shreds for suggesting that someone attend GW at sticker....I think it could be a good choice to attend if you get offered a spot off the WL.

Even a cursory browse of NYC/DC BigLaw sites clearly show that a lot more firms recruit out of GW than W&L. I mean yes this is probably offset to some degree by GW's immense class size, but BigLaw is never a safe bet for anyone anyway. And i'm sure firms occasionally hire applicants who submit resume's outside of normal OCI and recruitment, but considering the debt you'll expecting to incur at W&L and your BigLaw-or-Bust mentality, you might as well take some more debt at GW in exchange for more BigLaw exposure. Just my $0.02

ETA: Didn't see the part abt need-based grants. Noo idea, i didn't even know GW had that, but that could def help, but probably not a whole lot unless they decide to be unprecedentedly generous


What would the COA difference be between both schools? Also as far as big firm diversity hiring initiatives go, wouldn't he stand out more as a AA student at a very small school versus a very large school?


I think you are using your "blackness" in a way that you think will give you preferential treatment for hiring. There are a lot of AA's who are highly motivated and highly intelligent coming out of higher ranked schools who will be gunning for the same biglaw opportunities, just because your black doesn't mean you will get some "diversity hiring" advantage, you still need the credentials...this is coming from an AA......focus on doing well...good luck in LS..I'm rooting for you
Last edited by NanaP on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 am

BigZuck wrote:What would the COA difference be between both schools? Also as far as big firm diversity hiring initiatives go, wouldn't he stand out more as a AA student at a very small school versus a very large school?


This is completely true, I think he would stand out more as an AA at W&L than GW. But it's tricky because 1. we're assuming that diversity is the only reason he'd be hired (which may or may not turn out to be the case depending on his performance) and 2. is his diminished "unique-ness" at GW sufficiently compensated by the presence of more firms? He could stand out more at W&L but that might do little good if there aren't enough firms to notice to begin with. But yeah I guess the issue is more complex than I initially framed it, so OP should take that into consideration.

Re: I imagine the difference in COA would be determined primarily by DC's higher of COL since OP only has a 15k scholly at W&L. So it would depend on how frugally OP could live at either school.


NanaP wrote:I think you are using your "blackness" in a way that you think will give you preferential treatment for hiring. There are a lot of AA's who are highly motivated and highly intelligent coming out of higher ranked schools who will be gunning for the same biglaw opportunities, just because your black doesn't mean you will get some "diversity hiring" advantage, you still need the credentials...this is coming from an AA......focus on doing well...good luck in LS..I'm rooting for you

+1

But to be fair, OP is the one who seems to be operating on the assumption that it might be easier to snag BigLaw
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby NanaP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 am

cusenation wrote:
BigZuck wrote:What would the COA difference be between both schools? Also as far as big firm diversity hiring initiatives go, wouldn't he stand out more as a AA student at a very small school versus a very large school?


This is completely true, I think he would stand out more as an AA at W&L than GW. But it's tricky because 1. we're assuming that diversity is the only reason he'd be hired (which may or may not turn out to be the case depending on his performance) and 2. is his diminished "unique-ness" at GW sufficiently compensated by the presence of more firms? He could stand out more at W&L but that might do little good if there aren't enough firms to notice to begin with. But yeah I guess the issue is more complex than I initially framed it, so OP should take that into consideration.

Re: I imagine the difference in COA would be determined primarily by DC's higher of COL since OP only has a 15k scholly at W&L. So it would depend on how frugally OP could live at either school.


NanaP wrote:I think you are using your "blackness" in a way that you think will give you preferential treatment for hiring. There are a lot of AA's who are highly motivated and highly intelligent coming out of higher ranked schools who will be gunning for the same biglaw opportunities, just because your black doesn't mean you will get some "diversity hiring" advantage, you still need the credentials...this is coming from an AA......focus on doing well...good luck in LS..I'm rooting for you

+1

But to be fair, OP is the one who seems to be operating on the assumption that it might be easier to snag BigLaw through some unofficial preference for minorities.



My bad I was actually commenting to the OP..not targeted to you...

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 am

NanaP wrote:My bad I was actually commenting to the OP..not targeted to you...


My b :D :D

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 am

NanaP wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Pretty much

The real choice will be if to attend GW if offered a spot off the WL

By the way I am wondering if I'll get any need based aid from GW if they offer me a seat


At the risk of the TLS hivemind tearing me to shreds for suggesting that someone attend GW at sticker....I think it could be a good choice to attend if you get offered a spot off the WL.

Even a cursory browse of NYC/DC BigLaw sites clearly show that a lot more firms recruit out of GW than W&L. I mean yes this is probably offset to some degree by GW's immense class size, but BigLaw is never a safe bet for anyone anyway. And i'm sure firms occasionally hire applicants who submit resume's outside of normal OCI and recruitment, but considering the debt you'll expecting to incur at W&L and your BigLaw-or-Bust mentality, you might as well take some more debt at GW in exchange for more BigLaw exposure. Just my $0.02

ETA: Didn't see the part abt need-based grants. Noo idea, i didn't even know GW had that, but that could def help, but probably not a whole lot unless they decide to be unprecedentedly generous


What would the COA difference be between both schools? Also as far as big firm diversity hiring initiatives go, wouldn't he stand out more as a AA student at a very small school versus a very large school?


I think you are using your "blackness" in a way that you think will give you preferential treatment for hiring. There are a lot of AA's who are highly motivated and highly intelligent coming out of higher ranked schools who will be gunning for the same biglaw opportunities, just because your black doesn't mean you will get some "diversity hiring" advantage, you still need the credentials...this is coming from an AA......focus on doing well...good luck in LS..I'm rooting for you


I COMPLETELY agree. firstly is how I preform. everything else is second. I was just stating that as another factor. thanks for you post because it's completely on point!

User avatar
LetsGoRangers
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby LetsGoRangers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 am

Save the money and go to BLS, Dozo, or Seton Hall. They have better employment numbers than W&L and have the same chance of going to NY big law as W&L.

Save the money. Don't go full price to W&L.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

LetsGoRangers wrote:Save the money and go to BLS, Dozo, or Seton Hall. They have better employment numbers than W&L and have the same chance of going to NY big law as W&L.

Save the money. Don't go full price to W&L.


Going to BLS or Cardozo would end up costing more than W&L simply because of COL alone

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:31 am

LetsGoRangers wrote:Save the money and go to BLS, Dozo, or Seton Hall. They have better employment numbers than W&L and have the same chance of going to NY big law as W&L.

Save the money. Don't go full price to W&L.


re cardozo, they initially WL me for their May start but I declined it and asked to rolled around to fall, I'v been complete since (3/4)

re cuse's point: very true, which is why I am very unsure of my Fordham WL, which would be a better choice anyway if offered (i.e Cardozo or Fordham)

User avatar
LetsGoRangers
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby LetsGoRangers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am

cusenation wrote:
LetsGoRangers wrote:Save the money and go to BLS, Dozo, or Seton Hall. They have better employment numbers than W&L and have the same chance of going to NY big law as W&L.

Save the money. Don't go full price to W&L.


Going to BLS or Cardozo would end up costing more than W&L simply because of COL alone


Right, but if he got a scholarship it would be less. I was under the assumption in one could get into W&L, you could get some decent scholarships from the aforementioned schools.

User avatar
LetsGoRangers
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby LetsGoRangers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 am

I don't understand the logic. There are ranked schools from 15 through the second tier that have better employment prospects than W&L. W&L offers no significant boost to biglaw than the schools in T2 and T1. Did you apply to UIUC? They have pretty good biglaw numbers for a T1 and have been throwing out money this cycle.

Throttle
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby Throttle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:32 pm

LetsGoRangers wrote:I don't understand the logic. There are ranked schools from 15 through the second tier that have better employment prospects than W&L. W&L offers no significant boost to biglaw than the schools in T2 and T1. Did you apply to UIUC? They have pretty good biglaw numbers for a T1 and have been throwing out money this cycle.


UIUC are cheats

User avatar
bearjew
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby bearjew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Throttle wrote:
LetsGoRangers wrote:I don't understand the logic. There are ranked schools from 15 through the second tier that have better employment prospects than W&L. W&L offers no significant boost to biglaw than the schools in T2 and T1. Did you apply to UIUC? They have pretty good biglaw numbers for a T1 and have been throwing out money this cycle.


UIUC are cheats


If you're not cheating, you're not trying :mrgreen:

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:00 am

UPDATE:

was just WL at Cadozo. This is very funny, as they waitlisted me months ago for the May program and when I asked that my WL status will be moved to fall start they said they cannot do that and then put my file back in the pot and I was complete up until now. I joined the WL to see how things go there, but I don't know why they WL me again. Since I am also WL at Fordahm, it makes things kind of interesting.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest