AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:00 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Just got accepted to Tulane.

I don't know how viable of an option it is, but still nice :)


CONGRATS!

Use your W&L scholly to negotiate with them. W&L is way higher ranked. Maybe you can get some $$$ from them to make them more attractive.


Thanks. I don't see the little money I got from W&L as giving me any wiggle room and even if they double it (i.e give me 10K/year) it won't make them more attractive. It's a nice option to have but I don't see how it can compete with W&L.

Edit: contacted admissions and they said that it doesn't show that I was awarded any scholly. If that is the case I will most likely decline admissions. Don't see the point in paying sticker there

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:48 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Just got accepted to Tulane.

I don't know how viable of an option it is, but still nice :)


CONGRATS!

Use your W&L scholly to negotiate with them. W&L is way higher ranked. Maybe you can get some $$$ from them to make them more attractive.


Thanks. I don't see the little money I got from W&L as giving me any wiggle room and even if they double it (i.e give me 10K/year) it won't make them more attractive. It's a nice option to have but I don't see how it can compete with W&L.

Edit: contacted admissions and they said that it doesn't show that I was awarded any scholly. If that is the case I will most likely decline admissions. Don't see the point in paying sticker there


Call them next week. Tell them you are interested in Tulane but the cost is a significant issue for you. Tell them you got $5K a year at W&L, and you were wondering what they might be able to do for you. You never know, they might even plop down a half-tuition scholly. But even if they don't do jack, you've only wasted 5 minutes of your time.

Also consider the fact that even if the scholly they offer you isn't enough to make you want to go there, if it is bigger than the W&L one you can turn around and use that for leverage at W&L or elsewhere.

User avatar
stuckinthemiddle
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 am

Gotta agree with the avatar love. That is literally the best avatar I've ever seen. *swoon* HAHAHA.

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby NewYorkL » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm

F**in BC. I'm hoping W&L shows me some love like they did to you though. I applied so late that it will probably be a ding.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:Call them next week. Tell them you are interested in Tulane but the cost is a significant issue for you. Tell them you got $5K a year at W&L, and you were wondering what they might be able to do for you. You never know, they might even plop down a half-tuition scholly. But even if they don't do jack, you've only wasted 5 minutes of your time.

Also consider the fact that even if the scholly they offer you isn't enough to make you want to go there, if it is bigger than the W&L one you can turn around and use that for leverage at W&L or elsewhere.


I agree with this, JayJones78. It's scholly negotiating season! Have you talked to W&L about bumping up your scholly with them?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:07 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Call them next week. Tell them you are interested in Tulane but the cost is a significant issue for you. Tell them you got $5K a year at W&L, and you were wondering what they might be able to do for you. You never know, they might even plop down a half-tuition scholly. But even if they don't do jack, you've only wasted 5 minutes of your time.

Also consider the fact that even if the scholly they offer you isn't enough to make you want to go there, if it is bigger than the W&L one you can turn around and use that for leverage at W&L or elsewhere.


I agree with this, JayJones78. It's scholly negotiating season! Have you talked to W&L about bumping up your scholly with them?


I did. Haven't heard back yet but not expecting anything.
I may talk to tulane but prob not. Not much interest there and I don't have schools on my list that I believe will up their offer because of $ from Tulane

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Call them next week. Tell them you are interested in Tulane but the cost is a significant issue for you. Tell them you got $5K a year at W&L, and you were wondering what they might be able to do for you. You never know, they might even plop down a half-tuition scholly. But even if they don't do jack, you've only wasted 5 minutes of your time.

Also consider the fact that even if the scholly they offer you isn't enough to make you want to go there, if it is bigger than the W&L one you can turn around and use that for leverage at W&L or elsewhere.


I agree with this, JayJones78. It's scholly negotiating season! Have you talked to W&L about bumping up your scholly with them?


I did. Haven't heard back yet but not expecting anything.
I may talk to tulane but prob not. Not much interest there and I don't have schools on my list that I believe will up their offer because of $ from Tulane


Dude, I used a school ranked in the 90s to get a scholly at schools ranked in the 60s. And it only takes 5 minutes.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Call them next week. Tell them you are interested in Tulane but the cost is a significant issue for you. Tell them you got $5K a year at W&L, and you were wondering what they might be able to do for you. You never know, they might even plop down a half-tuition scholly. But even if they don't do jack, you've only wasted 5 minutes of your time.

Also consider the fact that even if the scholly they offer you isn't enough to make you want to go there, if it is bigger than the W&L one you can turn around and use that for leverage at W&L or elsewhere.


I agree with this, JayJones78. It's scholly negotiating season! Have you talked to W&L about bumping up your scholly with them?


I did. Haven't heard back yet but not expecting anything.
I may talk to tulane but prob not. Not much interest there and I don't have schools on my list that I believe will up their offer because of $ from Tulane


Dude, I used a school ranked in the 90s to get a scholly at schools ranked in the 60s. And it only takes 5 minutes.


Agreed. I'll give them a call.

Also - sent a LOCI to Fordham following the WL and a pre-decision LOCIs to Vandy and WashU.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Agreed. I'll give them a call.

Also - sent a LOCI to Fordham following the WL and a pre-decision LOCIs to Vandy and WashU.



Good job. Hopefully Fordham and the others will come through. Vandy or WashU will give you nice options and nice leverage, so hopefully one of them will come through.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Agreed. I'll give them a call.

Also - sent a LOCI to Fordham following the WL and a pre-decision LOCIs to Vandy and WashU.



Good job. Hopefully Fordham and the others will come through. Vandy or WashU will give you nice options and nice leverage, so hopefully one of them will come through.


Yah. I'm hoping it'll help. Unsure how much impact it'll have though.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:23 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Agreed. I'll give them a call.

Also - sent a LOCI to Fordham following the WL and a pre-decision LOCIs to Vandy and WashU.



Good job. Hopefully Fordham and the others will come through. Vandy or WashU will give you nice options and nice leverage, so hopefully one of them will come through.


Yah. I'm hoping it'll help. Unsure how much impact it'll have though.


Let me know how your pre-decision LOCIs go. I've been wanting to send out a couple but I'm still not sure if I should! From what I've heard, it doesn't hurt to send them.

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby NewYorkL » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:01 am

PM'd

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:43 am

NewYorkL wrote:PM'd


Hey. Saw. Will reply tomorrow.

Calling Tulane about money on Monday. Perhaps it'll help other offers if needed.

Although as of now the only schools in really interested in see WashU, Vandy and a complete hail marry from Cornell. But.. Long long shot there. The rely long wait does give some hope though

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: 151 AA URM (cannot retake)

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:Nowhere worth going


I disagree. With the right soft factors and good essays, OP can definitely sneak into a top-100 and maybe even a lower top-50. Now...the question of whether the school in question is "worth going to, is another question. I know of a 151/3.2 who was wait listed at Vandrbilt two years in a row and stayed there until orientation week in both years. He ultimately wound up at a top-35, but his case is exemplary of what can happen to diligent URM's who present otherwise nice profiles.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooldude87
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby cooldude87 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:00 am

DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: 151 AA URM (cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:04 am

PDaddy wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Nowhere worth going


I disagree. With the right soft factors and good essays, OP can definitely sneak into a top-100 and maybe even a lower top-50. Now...the question of whether the school in question is "worth going to, is another question. I know of a 151/3.2 who was wait listed at Vandrbilt two years in a row and stayed there until orientation week in both years. He ultimately wound up at a top-35, but his case is exemplary of what can happen to digent URM's who present otherwise nice profiles.


Thanks. As of now I'm in at W&L, Pitt, Tulane and American and WL at Fordham and Colorado. Was WL at Cardozo for may start but switched my app to fall. I know that for most in the TLS sphere my acceptances (even W&L) is a crapshoot and not the submit on my apps. But, I disagree.
As I wrote before I'm still waiting for a possible hail marry from Vandy or Cornell (the first a long shot the second a slimmer than slim chance). I'll be the first to admit that my LSAT is problematic at best, but I think my cycle can also show that good things can still happen.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: 151 AA URM (cannot retake)

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:42 am

JayJones78 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Nowhere worth going


I disagree. With the right soft factors and good essays, OP can definitely sneak into a top-100 and maybe even a lower top-50. Now...the question of whether the school in question is "worth going to, is another question. I know of a 151/3.2 who was wait listed at Vandrbilt two years in a row and stayed there until orientation week in both years. He ultimately wound up at a top-35, but his case is exemplary of what can happen to diligent URM's who present otherwise nice profiles.


Thanks. As of now I'm in at W&L, Pitt, Tulane and American and WL at Fordham and Colorado. Was WL at Cardozo for may start but switched my app to fall. I know that for most in the TLS sphere my acceptances (even W&L) is a crapshoot and not the submit on my apps. But, I disagree.
As I wrote before I'm still waiting for a possible hail marry from Vandy or Cornell (the first a long shot the second a slimmer than slim chance). I'll be the first to admit that my LSAT is problematic at best, but I think my cycle can also show that good things can still happen.


Your cycle has actually gone about as well as I expected. A few years ago, you wouldn't have sniffed as many top schools, but applications are down. Vandy will probably waitlist you. Cornell either will let you in or won't. They don't tend to play games.

One reason I joined TLS was to combat the elitism directed at ethnic minorities; if not for contrarians like me, you would be getting a lot of very bad advice from elitist non-URM applicants who are jealous that we don't quite need the numbers they need in order to get into top schools.

This undeniable fact does not mean that URM's are "less qualified" for these schools. It simply means that we must be vetted differently. Soft factors and essays are 10-15% of a non-URM's evaluation, whereas they are 30-60% of a URM's evaluation. This is justified by our unique experiences and how they become manifest in our educational experiences and contributions as well as our professional careers; savvy adcoms recognize this and employ it in their calculus.

Let me say that I am glad you have transcended your "average" LSAT score and gotten into some very good schools.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:57 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Call them next week. Tell them you are interested in Tulane but the cost is a significant issue for you. Tell them you got $5K a year at W&L, and you were wondering what they might be able to do for you. You never know, they might even plop down a half-tuition scholly. But even if they don't do jack, you've only wasted 5 minutes of your time.

Also consider the fact that even if the scholly they offer you isn't enough to make you want to go there, if it is bigger than the W&L one you can turn around and use that for leverage at W&L or elsewhere.


I agree with this, JayJones78. It's scholly negotiating season! Have you talked to W&L about bumping up your scholly with them?


Tulane isn't going to give OP $20K a year, and the reason is simple: he doesn't up their numbers for the rankings.

Although Tulane is one of the most generous schools with money and tends NOT to game the rankings (who believes for one second that Tulane couldn't be top-25 in short order if their administration wanted it to be?), there are limits to their generosity. You can hope for between $8-15K but not realistically more, unless they have a serious URM drought in the summer.

Tulane has already decided what OP is worth to them; if he wasn't awarded a scholly up front, he shouldn't expect to get a large chunk by leveraging - absent a new (June) LSAT score. Why not retake in June? If the score rises even four points, that could raise some eyebrows and get OP that $20-25K...maybe even $30K.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:00 am

PDaddy wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Call them next week. Tell them you are interested in Tulane but the cost is a significant issue for you. Tell them you got $5K a year at W&L, and you were wondering what they might be able to do for you. You never know, they might even plop down a half-tuition scholly. But even if they don't do jack, you've only wasted 5 minutes of your time.

Also consider the fact that even if the scholly they offer you isn't enough to make you want to go there, if it is bigger than the W&L one you can turn around and use that for leverage at W&L or elsewhere.


I agree with this, JayJones78. It's scholly negotiating season! Have you talked to W&L about bumping up your scholly with them?


Tulane isn't going to give OP $20K a year, and the reason is simple: he doesn't up their numbers for the rankings.

Although Tulane is one of the most generous schools with money and tends NOT to game the rankings (who believes for one second that Tulane couldn't be top-25 in short order if their administration wanted it to be?), there are limits to their generosity. You can hope for between $8-15K but not realistically more, unless they have a serious URM drought in the summer.

Tulane has already decided what OP is worth to them; if he wasn't awarded a scholly up front, he shouldn't expect to get a large chunk by leveraging - absent a new (June) LSAT score. Why not retake in June? If the score rises even four points, that could raise some eyebrows and get OP that $20-25K...maybe even $30K.


My next retake is not until dec '13 :cry:

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:53 pm

cooldude87 wrote:DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL


You've got way too much free time to be trolling around here every day and telling everyone not to go to law school. You explicitly said on another post that you're not going to law school, so why do you still bother with this site? Stop trolling and get a life, moron.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby 20141023 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:39 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Jay, I've been rooting for you this whole cycle! I am hoping for good things from Cornell.

What are your softs, if you don't mind me asking?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:06 pm

JXander wrote:Jay, I've been rooting for you this whole cycle! I am hoping for good things from Cornell.

What are your softs, if you don't mind me asking?


Thanks! I was just thinking I haven't updated here but only because nothing is happening...
As of now waiting for Hail Marrys from Vandy (ahhh slim) and Cornell (ahhhh soooo slim) which will sway me away from W&L. I assume that I'll have to wait until first deposit deadlines pass before I hear from the remaining schools...

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Any luck with scholly negotiations yet?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:14 pm

spleenworship wrote:Any luck with scholly negotiations yet?


No go with W&L which I expected. Haven't tried yet with Tulane. Going to give them a call Monday. Sent LOCIs to Fordham for the WL and a pre decision ones to Vandy and WashU. Working on one for Cornell though my initial complete date hasn't even changed yet so I assume it'll be a while.

Regardless I have a feeling that with my remaining pending apps schools will wait until the first deposit dates will pass before making a decision on me so they'll see what their URM pool looks like and who they 'have' to admit. Thoughts on this?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests