AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
spleenworship

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm

NewYorkL wrote:What's YP?

This is bad news. I was banking Dozo also. At least I now know what to expect.

Yield Protection.

If they suspect you are going to go to a higher ranked school they'll reject or WL you so they can look more selective in their acceptances to USNWR

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Yield Protection.

If they suspect you are going to go to a higher ranked school they'll reject or WL you so they can look more selective in their acceptances to USNWR

And I think mentioning W&L did that for me.... Maybe :|

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 am

spleenworship wrote:

Yield Protection.

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess we'll find out for sure with my decision but you should be a happy man with W&L. I doubt I'll be fortunate enough to get in.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Flying to DC for W&L ASW and I'll have most of Friday free. Was wondering if I should head over to GW and Gtown for a tour or an informal interview. Do you think it can have any sort of effect on the outcome of my app at all or is it kind of a waste of time?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Flying to DC for W&L ASW and I'll have most of Friday free. Was wondering if I should head over to GW and Gtown for a tour or an informal interview. Do you think it can have any sort of effect on the outcome of my app at all or is it kind of a waste of time?

I know the general advice is that it won't do anything...

IMO I think that if you meet the admissions dean and are a polite and decent human being, neither desperate nor overconfident, and make a good impression it can't hurt. And if they are maybe on the fence about you already it might help.

So... let's call it a 2% chance it'll help. Is spending that time there worth a 2% better chance of admission? Only you can say.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 pm

Update:

Rejected from UCLA, but don't really mind.

Rejected from Gtown. Another oh well. Didnt feel like it was a good fit for me anyway

WL at Colorado. Kinda hoped I'd get in but honestly I am not sure if putting all my eggs on one basket and going there is a good idea as I don't think it'll be possible (or rather very hard) to get a job outside the state. I think I'll get on the WL though

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:14 am

JayJones78 wrote:Update:

Rejected from Gtown. Another oh well. Didnt feel like it was a good fit for me anyway

WL at Colorado. Kinda hoped I'd get in but honestly I am not sure if putting all my eggs on one basket and going there is a good idea as I don't think it'll be possible (or rather very hard) to get a job outside the state. I think I'll get on the WL though

How was W&L's ASW? What did it do for your view of the school?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 am

JayJones78 wrote:Update:

Sorry to hear, except u seem fine with it. Almost there with your cycle. Almost there.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 am

I would also like to read a write up of your thoughts on the W&L ASW if you're up for it!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Officially removed myself from Cardozo's may stat WL and asked them to reconsider me for fall. I can't see myself starting school in 8 weeks. Now I wonder if they'll WL me again, admit or just tell me to GTO

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Officially removed myself from Cardozo's may stat WL and asked them to reconsider me for fall. I can't see myself starting school in 8 weeks. Now I wonder if they'll WL me again, admit or just tell me to GTO

A wise choice. If I recall correctly, may start students get no scholarship. I think they may be a little resentful though since you withdrew from the wailtlist, but who knows. I mean you are still asking for consideration in their school... Oh we'll, best of luck to you on that one :)

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Officially removed myself from Cardozo's may stat WL and asked them to reconsider me for fall. I can't see myself starting school in 8 weeks. Now I wonder if they'll WL me again, admit or just tell me to GTO

A wise choice. If I recall correctly, may start students get no scholarship. I think they may be a little resentful though since you withdrew from the wailtlist, but who knows. I mean you are still asking for consideration in their school... Oh we'll, best of luck to you on that one :)

Yah, it is what it is. Let them reconsider me if they so please

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

Dude, IMO, forget 'bozo and move on.

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 am

8 weeks sounds so soon :shock:

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

Dude, IMO, forget 'bozo and move on.

Would still like to have them as an option, so I don't mind them reevaluating me for fall. It is what it is.
Right now what I care about more is hearing from BC, Vandy, WashU and to some extant GW, but I am not sure what are my chances there.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 pm

So where have you been accepted so far, OP? Genuinely interested.

For what it's worth, you seem to be doing fantastically for a 151 LSAT! :D

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:So where have you been accepted so far, OP? Genuinely interested.

For what it's worth, you seem to be doing fantastically for a 151 LSAT! :D

In: W&L, American and Pitt
WL: Colorado, Fordham & Cardozo (although now I'm reconsidered for Cardozo fall start)

As of now if it all stays as is ill be attending W&L in the fall. I visited and absolutely loved it in every way and feel it's a great fit for me.

I'm really looking for my BC, Vandy and WashU decisions because if I get accepted there it'll be a big battle for me to examine them against W&L. And as for Cornell... "I dreamed a dream" and we'll see if I'll say, just like Ann Hathaway at this year's Oscars: "it came true!!"
Last edited by JayJones78 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 pm

OMG crossing my fingers for you for Cornell (and BC/WU/Fordham/Vandy)!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:27 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:OMG crossing my fingers for you for Cornell (and BC/WU/Fordham/Vandy)!

Thanks. I honestly think Cornell is such a huge stretch that I'll prob get a heart attack if they accept me and a mild heart attack if they WL me.

As for the other three: I think it can happen but at the same time it can be a flat ding

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Just got rejected from BC. Oh well. It would have been nice to have it as an option.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Just got rejected from BC. Oh well. It would have been nice to have it as an option.

Sorry to hear that! You have good options otherwise. I'm glad you liked W&L so much.

Also your avatar is killing me.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Just got rejected from BC. Oh well. It would have been nice to have it as an option.

Sorry to hear that! You have good options otherwise. I'm glad you liked W&L so much.

Also your avatar is killing me.

Thanks!! Yah I loved W&L so as of now any decision can be okay with me since I'll gladly see myself there in the fall.

Killing you in a good way I hope! :oops: I love yours since it looks so much like my late cat Mitzy (rest her heart)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Man... your year started out so promising, now it seems to have gone downhill.

Still, you seem psyched about W&L, so that's good.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Just got accepted to Tulane.

I don't know how viable of an option it is, but still nice :)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:51 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Just got accepted to Tulane.

I don't know how viable of an option it is, but still nice :)

CONGRATS!

Use your W&L scholly to negotiate with them. W&L is way higher ranked. Maybe you can get some $$$ from them to make them more attractive.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”