AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
JayJones78

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Admit packet arrived from Pitt. 14K/year. Renewable. No stipend info or GPA needed to renew.

Thoughts?

Figure out what those stips are. Also, what is their projected COA. Then get back to us.

The letter doesn't state anything about a stips. COA is 54K for non res, 48/49 for PA res that I assume you can get after a year

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Admit packet arrived from Pitt. 14K/year. Renewable. No stipend info or GPA needed to renew.

Thoughts?

Figure out what those stips are. Also, what is their projected COA. Then get back to us.

The letter doesn't state anything about a stips. COA is 54K for non res, 48/49 for PA res that I assume you can get after a year

1. Call and ask about stips. Don't let them bone you.
2. Call and confirm you can get in-state after 1 year. Some states will not let you do this.

then get back to us. First impression, though, is that the amount would need to go up for me to bite that hook, personally.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Thoughts?

2. Call and confirm you can get in-state after 1 year. Some states will not let you do this.

then get back to us. First impression, though, is that the amount would need to go up for me to bite that hook, personally.

Nearly all of Pitt's scholarships require maintaining a 3.0. With that said, you should definitely call and verify there is no stipulation. If there is, I personally would not attend Pitt, and they are very unlikely to up your scholarship as they don't seem to really negotiate. Believe it or not, 14k/yr is on the top end of what they have been offering.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Nearly all of Pitt's scholarships require maintaining a 3.0. With that said, you should definitely call and verify there is no stipulation. If there is, I personally would not attend Pitt, and they are very unlikely to up your scholarship as they don't seem to really negotiate. Believe it or not, 14k/yr is on the top end of what they have been offering.

I tried calling today, but no one picked up. but FWIW I would say thst as of right now it doesn't matter because I really don't think I'll take them over W&L. The post school prospects are way too narrrow IMHO, and 14K is not enough for me to take a rist like that.

Also looking for a general advice:
for the past week or two I'm starting to really loose interest in many of the schools I applied to, and begin to not really care if I get accepted or not. I started the whole process pretty set that I want to attend a top school. Schools like USC, ND and even BU were never real intrest to me. As of now the only schools on my list I remain to be really interested in are BC and WashU and some of it is TLS excitement that I have because I'm so active on their threads.
That said, W&L continues to be a place that the more I research the more I see it can be a really good fit for me in many levels and I dont know if other acceptences will make me feel the same.
T14s that I have yet to hear from (Cornell, Gtown) seem like a really really weak and slim shot. Even there, I really dont know if I'll go to gtwon and not to W&L.

Any advice on what to do next? Kind of in a funk about the whole process

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Advice on what exactly?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:Advice on what exactly?

I was just thinking the same thing! I was: "wow I just heavily vented here, but what am I seeking advice on?" :oops:

I guess I wanted to share and see if it's common to feel that way? On the one hand I really do see the affects of my LSAT looking at me in the face right now, but on the other, if my score was where I was PTing (low 160s) I would prob would not apply to any school other than T14 and maybe a few others (W&L, Vandy, BC)

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 pm

FWIW, I'm waitlisted at Georgetown and I'm pretty certain I'd take W&L over it. I cannot seem to engender any excitement for that school.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 pm

talesofyore wrote:FWIW, I'm waitlisted at Georgetown and I'm pretty certain I'd take W&L over it. I cannot seem to engender any excitement for that school.

Yup. 700 peoele in a class.
I don't know. As I said I think Im in a cycle funk.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Nearly all of Pitt's scholarships require maintaining a 3.0. With that said, you should definitely call and verify there is no stipulation. If there is, I personally would not attend Pitt, and they are very unlikely to up your scholarship as they don't seem to really negotiate. Believe it or not, 14k/yr is on the top end of what they have been offering.

I tried calling today, but no one picked up. but FWIW I would say thst as of right now it doesn't matter because I really don't think I'll take them over W&L. The post school prospects are way too narrrow IMHO, and 14K is not enough for me to take a rist like that.

for the past week or two I'm starting to really loose interest in many of the schools I applied to, and begin to not really care if I get accepted or not. I started the whole process pretty set that I want to attend a top school. Schools like USC, ND and even BU were never real intrest to me. As of now the only schools on my list I remain to be really interested in are BC and WashU and some of it is TLS excitement that I have because I'm so active on their threads.
That said, W&L continues to be a place that the more I research the more I see it can be a really good fit for me in many levels and I dont know if other acceptences will make me feel the same.
T14s that I have yet to hear from (Cornell, Gtown) seem like a really really weak and slim shot. Even there, I really dont know if I'll go to gtwon and not to W&L.

Lol. 0L problems.

Don't worry, this is normal and will pass. I applied to 30 something schools. By march I cared about 6-7 of them, and really only cared a lot about 3.

U gotta keep working the schollys at every acceptance though, because you might gain interest if you can negotiate a full ride somewhere.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Nearly all of Pitt's scholarships require maintaining a 3.0. With that said, you should definitely call and verify there is no stipulation. If there is, I personally would not attend Pitt, and they are very unlikely to up your scholarship as they don't seem to really negotiate. Believe it or not, 14k/yr is on the top end of what they have been offering.

Lol. 0L problems.

Don't worry, this is normal and will pass. I applied to 30 something schools. By march I cared about 6-7 of them, and really only cared a lot about 3.

U gotta keep working the schollys at every acceptance though, because you might gain interest if you can negotiate a full ride somewhere.

That's is where I'm at. 25 apps. Heard from 8-10 by now and now I'm thinking why do I even care if USC admits me? Or other schools for that matter. Perhaps only for scholly negotiations but I don't think I'll get much from schools anyway.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Also looking for a general advice:

This is kinda confusing to me because I don't see any distinction between USC, ND, and BU, which you profess a lack of interest in, and BC and WUSTL (and W&L), which you are still interested in. In one sense, those are all top schools in that they have high-quality student bodies but, in another sense, they are all not top schools in that their employment prospects are pretty mediocre. If what you mean is that you were aiming for places like NU and you are kinda down seeing the negative impact of your LSAT score, that does make sense. It sucks.

I wish you luck with the schools you are still waiting on, but I think the best strategy for you is going to be lots of negotiating and then going to the cheapest school (without sacrificing employment prospects too much) in an area you could envision yourself living. Don't get sucked into the idea that you should take WUSTL or W&L at near-sticker just bc they are the highest-ranked school you get admitted to (although Pitt's offer is not enough to sway you from W&L IMO...although, does that COA figure you listed include COL?). There are only a few schools, either HYS or maybe the T14, that are worth paying for because they are the highest-ranked school you are admitted to. Outside of those options, minimizing cost while making sure your employment prospects don't take a big hit is the smart way to go. Don't get led astray by the siren songs of a T1 ranking!!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 am

Update:

WL at Cardozo for May start. Well, since I'm already on the WL at Fordham I signed up, but unsure of chances of attending. Honestly I don't get why I got WL and not accepted, Maybe it's because I sent them an email last week bout decision time and mentioned I'm accepted to W&L and it's their way to YP? but it's fine since I found out they don't give aid to May start. Yet another decision I'm trying to decide how I feel about. The cycle funk continues.
Last edited by JayJones78 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am

JayJones78 wrote:Update:

WL at Cardozo for May start. Well, since I'm already on the WL at Fordham I signed up, but chances of attending is slim. Honestly I don't get why I got WL and not accepted, Maybe it's because I sent them an email last week bout decision time and mentioned I'm accepted to W&L and it's their way to YP? but it's fine since I found out they don't give aid to May start. Yet another decision I'm trying to decide how I feel about. The cycle funk continues.

The Dean of Admissions at Fordham told me that you can usually get off the waitlist by talking to him and making a case that you really want to go if your interested.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am

kryptix wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Update:

WL at Cardozo for May start. Well, since I'm already on the WL at Fordham I signed up, but chances of attending is slim. Honestly I don't get why I got WL and not accepted, Maybe it's because I sent them an email last week bout decision time and mentioned I'm accepted to W&L and it's their way to YP? but it's fine since I found out they don't give aid to May start. Yet another decision I'm trying to decide how I feel about. The cycle funk continues.

The Dean of Admissions at Fordham told me that you can usually get off the waitlist by talking to him and making a case that you really want to go if your interested.

Interesting. How do you go about doing that?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am

Jay- whatever happened with USC. And yes, pass on Cardozo I think. No aid is no bueno.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59 am

BigZuck wrote:Jay- whatever happened with USC. And yes, pass on Cardozo I think. No aid is no bueno.

Ding at USC, which added to my cycle funk and lack of excitement from so many schools I have pending apps with (including USC)
Getting up to W&L next week to visit and excited to see it with my own eyes.

I didn't think I'm an auto admit with Cardozo but honestly I'm a little surprised I got WL.

Out of curiosity - do schools ever change their mind on a decision if you show real interest and contact them after a rejection?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Jay- whatever happened with USC. And yes, pass on Cardozo I think. No aid is no bueno.

Ding at USC, which added to my cycle funk and lack of excitement from so many schools I have pending apps with (including USC)

I didn't think I'm an auto admit with Cardozo but honestly I'm a little surprised I got WL.

Out of curiosity - do schools ever change their mind on a decision if you show real interest and contact them after a rejection?

Bolded: No.

As for 'bozo: Don't bother with them. 1. No aid. NYC + Tuition + No aid? Eff that. 2. I have a friend who transferred there, she's not a huge fan. She doesn't like the environment very much at all. She has learned a lot about her jewish heritage, but otherwise says the people and professors there seem totally disinterested in her. That could just be a transfer student thing, but I get the impression it isn't.

ETA: Dude, you got into a good law school. You got into several law schools. You are going to go. You are going to be an attorney. A lawyer. Don't let the cycle funk get you down. Two years ago you would've been thrilled to even have a couple choices in law schools. Don't let your TLS education get you down.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Bolded: No.

As for 'bozo: Don't bother with them. 1. No aid. NYC + Tuition + No aid? Eff that. 2. I have a friend who transferred there, she's not a huge fan. She doesn't like the environment very much at all. She has learned a lot about her jewish heritage, but otherwise says the people and professors there seem totally disinterested in her. That could just be a transfer student thing, but I get the impression it isn't.

I figured. I was just wondering that as a side note.

Yah, I was kind of surprised by Cardozo. Do you think that means anything for future decisions? Than again I don't get how Im accepted at W&L and WL at Cardozo. (Or WL at Fordham and then at Cardozo for that matter)

Edit: yah, I agree. I have some choices and some are great but since I really got into this for a top school coming are to understand that it most likely (read:wont) happen is a little difficult

Edit2: do you think that the fact I mentioned I'm in at W&L played any effect here?
Last edited by JayJones78 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

Take lots of pictures!! That must be so exciting.

With regards to the rejection, someone else asked last week. Here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204507

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 pm

talesofyore wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Take lots of pictures!! That must be so exciting.

With regards to the rejection, someone else asked last week. Here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204507

Yes I'm very excited to get there and see it with my own eyes.

am8zing

Postby am8zing » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Last edited by am8zing on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 pm

am8zing wrote:See you at W&L this weekend bro

Still undecided if I'm going this or next week

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:15 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Edit2: do you think that the fact I mentioned I'm in at W&L played any effect here?

could've been a little YP action going on there.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

could've been a little YP action going on there.

I think so too. But, I guess it's all for the best. Looking at from today's perspective I'm sorry I didn't apply to fall start. It'll be very hard to make a decision on the may start. They said I can be re reviewed for fall if I want to, but I'll have to get off the WL for may

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:15 pm

What's YP?

This is bad news. I was banking Dozo also. At least I now know what to expect.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”