AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
JayJones78

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:49 pm

BlaqBella wrote:You still have yet to hear back from some great schools which are known to have accepted URM AA males with similar numbers in the past, so there is still reason to be hopeful. Glad to know you're not feeling down and out. Thanks for the update!

Thank you!
I do wonder if I'll see an acceptance from a school with ranking higher than W&L...

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:49 pm

JayJones78 wrote:UPDATE:
Rejected by BU over email just now. Oh well, I was never really excited about the school.

To be honest, as time goes by and apps continue to be pending I realize what schools in my list I am really excited about and truly interested in and what schools would be nice to get into, but at the same time I would be okay with a rejection (and schools I realize I probably don't have a chance with, but applied to them anyway for the slimmer than slim chance my app will shine with some adcomm). I don't know if this happened to other people as well but since I have SO MANY outstanding apps I see it happen with some schools on my list.

Yeah, especially the ones that aren't on the law status checker app. Sometimes I'll be like, "Whoa! I wonder what's going on with so and so. Totally forgot I applied."

I also check my status way less often these days. I guess I'm burnt out.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 pm

talesofyore wrote:
Rejected by BU over email just now. Oh well, I was never really excited about the school.

To be honest, as time goes by and apps continue to be pending I realize what schools in my list I am really excited about and truly interested in and what schools would be nice to get into, but at the same time I would be okay with a rejection (and schools I realize I probably don't have a chance with, but applied to them anyway for the slimmer than slim chance my app will shine with some adcomm). I don't know if this happened to other people as well but since I have SO MANY outstanding apps I see it happen with some schools on my list.

Yeah, especially the ones that aren't on the law status checker app. Sometimes I'll be like, "Whoa! I wonder what's going on with so and so. Totally forgot I applied."

Yes. Thank god for lsstatuscheck 8)
Tomorrow will be d-day with NU.....

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 am

JayJones78 wrote:
talesofyore wrote:

Best of luck!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:15 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
talesofyore wrote:

Any news?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
talesofyore wrote:

Any news?

No. Very unpleasant at the moment

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Tomorrow will be d-day with NU.....

Any news?

dude. not cool.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 pm

By Friday, I'm sure.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Tomorrow will be d-day with NU.....

Any news?

dude. not cool.

Not cool at all.
That's what I wrote at NU thread
Everything would have been fine and good if it wasn't for the "decision mailed date: 2/1" on the AJD website. If it wasn't there I may have been anxious about the decision not coming etc but I would pretty much leave it alone unit I hear from them. Here they put a specific date and people prepare themselves accordingly. In my case I am trying to make a real decision if to stay where I live or move somewhere else until school starts but in the event that I (hopefully) get into NU it would make no sense cause school starts much earlier. All I can hope for is that this delay will get my foot in the door. I really want this and think the AJD is a great fit for me.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm

I nearly got a heart attack when I got an auto text from lawschoolappalert, only to see that it's an acceptence from Pitt... :oops:
I mean, still nice to have another acceptance but until I hear from NU my heart is all in Chicago

Plus I hear Pitt give little to no scholly, and I don't know if I'll go there without serious $$$

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 pm

UPDATE:

Rejected from NU just now for AJD, as expected. That said, it still stings because it's something I really wanted it. But, it is what it.

The Pitt acceptance was still nice, though.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Rejected from NU just now for AJD, as expected. That said, it still stings because it's something I really wanted it. But, it is what it.

Sorry about NU dude. Pitt can be used for leverage, at least, even if you don't want to go there.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Sorry about NU dude. Pitt can be used for leverage, at least, even if you don't want to go there.

I heard they give pretty bad money to people so I don't expect much.

From my LSN (outwest81) do you think there's a chance I'll see an acceptance at a school higher ranked than W&L ?

EDIT: also I don't believe I'll be able to get more money out of W&L using Pitt. I'm right no?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:26 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

From my LSN (outwest81) do you think there's a chance I'll see an acceptance at a school higher ranked than W&L ?

EDIT: also I don't believe I'll be able to get more money out of W&L using Pitt. I'm right no?

1st question: Maybe Wash. U. St. Louis.

2nd: you aren't thinking about this right. What you do is this: call a school ranked below Pitt you get into. Tell them you are thinking about going to Pitt, but money is a major concern and you would need help to consider them. Get scholly offer. Take scholly offer to a school ranked at or just below Pitt (we'll call that school Y). Tell them you got into Pitt, and that you got a scholly from X school ranked below Pitt. Tell them money is a concern and you would need help to seriously consider them. Get scholly offer. Take scholly offer to a school you get into ranked above Pitt. Tell them you got money from school Y, but you'd rather go there (if this is true. Don't get into the habit of lying now), but money is a real issue. Take scholly offer to school ranked above Y (we'll call them Z), repeat. Take scholly offer from Z to W&L, repeat, get higher scholly offer. Then look at all the scholly offers you got... you have a bunch at this point hopefully, and then use that to make a decision about what school you want to go to comparing cost to employment prospects.

ALSO (and this is vital): when you talk to each and every school ranked below W&L you need to mention your scholly to W&L. This will increase their incentive to give you big (as opposed to nominal) schollys which you can use to drive up the amounts you can quote to each and every school ranked above them.

ETA: even if you do this right, your most likely outcome is merely a bunch of scolly offers that look like this: /

with the y axis being $ (bottom 0, top the most) and the x axis being ranking with higher rank being to the left.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

1st question: Maybe Wash. U. St. Louis.

2nd: you aren't thinking about this right. What you do is this: call a school ranked below Pitt you get into. Tell them you are thinking about going to Pitt, but money is a major concern and you would need help to consider them. Get scholly offer. Take scholly offer to a school ranked at or just below Pitt (we'll call that school Y). Tell them you got into Pitt, and that you got a scholly from X school ranked below Pitt. Tell them money is a concern and you would need help to seriously consider them. Get scholly offer. Take scholly offer to a school you get into ranked above Pitt. Tell them you got money from school Y, but you'd rather go there (if this is true. Don't get into the habit of lying now), but money is a real issue. Take scholly offer to school ranked above Y (we'll call them Z), repeat. Take scholly offer from Z to W&L, repeat, get higher scholly offer. Then look at all the scholly offers you got... you have a bunch at this point hopefully, and then use that to make a decision about what school you want to go to comparing cost to employment prospects.

ALSO (and this is vital): when you talk to each and every school ranked below W&L you need to mention your scholly to W&L. This will increase their incentive to give you big (as opposed to nominal) schollys which you can use to drive up the amounts you can quote to each and every school ranked above them.

ETA: even if you do this right, your most likely outcome is merely a bunch of scolly offers that look like this: /

with the y axis being $ (bottom 0, top the most) and the x axis being ranking with higher rank being to the left.

Thanks! Very helpful!!
For now Im leaning towards W&L and I'm going to visit and see how I feel

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Congrats on the pitt acceptance. If you want to work in Pittsburgh it is a wonderful option as its alumni practically run all the top law jobs in the area.

I feel you on the AJD at NU. I was dinged too. I wasn't surprised either and am actually pretty glad they finally gave me a decision.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Congrats on the pitt acceptance. If you want to work in Pittsburgh it is a wonderful option as its alumni practically run all the top law jobs in the area.

I feel you on the AJD at NU. I was dinged too. I wasn't surprised either and am actually pretty glad they finally gave me a decision.

If anything, I'm happy I finally have a decision. Because the AJD start date is so early I had to make real life decisions based on their's.

As for pitt, I don't know. I'm waiting to get their admit packet see what they offer for school visits, if anything. I actually read pretty good things bout Pittsburg but I don't know if Im ready to close myself in such a small area.

To be honest, what I'm thankful most is that I have W&L under my belt. Amid some criticism (like you saw in my other thread at choosing a law school) I really do think it's a great option for me.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Congrats on the pitt acceptance. If you want to work in Pittsburgh it is a wonderful option as its alumni practically run all the top law jobs in the area.

If anything, I'm happy I finally have a decision. Because the AJD start date is so early I had to make real life decisions based on their's.

As for pitt, I don't know. I'm waiting to get their admit packet see what they offer for school visits, if anything. I actually read pretty good things bout Pittsburg but I don't know if Im ready to close myself in such a small area.

To be honest, what I'm thankful most is that I have W&L under my belt. Amid some criticism (like you saw in my other thread at choosing a law school) I really do think it's a great option for me.

Well, I know a little of the area. The law building is actually in the center of campus(well its by the main freshman dorms). Most students stay away from the law building unless they are students... But when it is finals week kids will use that building for their undergraduate finals studying. Most people at Pitt love it. personally though, I am not a fan of it for multiple reasons( the biggest one being a personal reason unrelated to the school itself). I can try to offer you more information on the area though(my knowledge is limited though), and the urm perspective of campus. Also, they are very very stingy with money as I am sure you have heard.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

Sadly, both Pitt and W&L have about the same employment stats:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl&show=chars

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pitt&show=chars

If you have to choose between those two, Scholly/total COA and where you want to practice are going to be your deciding factors.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:22 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Sadly, both Pitt and W&L have about the same employment stats:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl&show=chars

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pitt&show=chars

If you have to choose between those two, Scholly/total COA and where you want to practice are going to be your deciding factors.

I assume I most likely wont make this decision.
Hopefully more decisions will come out very soon!!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Tagging so I can keep up with this thread. Rooting for you my man.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:Tagging so I can keep up with this thread. Rooting for you my man.

Thanks. No real movement past the NU rejection and Pitt acceptance.
As I wrote in the WashU thread as of now the schools I'm most interested in (other than the t14 that I'm assuming I won't get) are placed pretty broadly. Vandy, USC, WashU, BC, Tulane and UofColorado.

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:50 pm

We are going to see with my cycle how applying later will make a difference. For my sake, I still hope to get accepted to the same schools as you.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Admit packet arrived from Pitt. 14K/year. Renewable. No stipend info or GPA needed to renew.

Thoughts?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:05 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Admit packet arrived from Pitt. 14K/year. Renewable. No stipend info or GPA needed to renew.

Thoughts?

Figure out what those stips are. Also, what is their projected COA. Then get back to us.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”