Should I come out in application?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jessierocks

Should I come out in application?

Postby jessierocks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 am

I am an Asian female, and a lesbian as well.
Some schools ask in their application whether applicants are LGBT
The thing is, I haven't participated in related activities
Should I come out to those schools?
And should I mention it in my diversity statement?

bk1

Re: Should I come out in application?

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 am

1. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

2. Whether you've participated in LGBT student orgs does not affect whether you should or should not answer the question. Answer it if you want, don't if you don't.

3. If you are comfortable writing about it in your DS and feel that it makes your DS better then go for it. If you don't feel comfortable or it doesn't help your DS then don't.

jessierocks

Postby jessierocks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 am

bk1 wrote:1. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

2. Whether you've participated in LGBT student orgs does not affect whether you should or should not answer the question. Answer it if you want, don't if you don't.

3. If you are comfortable writing about it in your DS and feel that it makes your DS better then go for it. If you don't feel comfortable or it doesn't help your DS then don't.

Thx!

jessierocks

Postby jessierocks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:30 am

Still, will coming out enlarge my chance?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 am

jessierocks wrote:Still, will coming out enlarge my chance?

Doubtful.

blackandstrong

Postby blackandstrong » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 am

jessierocks wrote:

I don't think one should come out in order to "enlarge" one's chances. This seems unethical to me.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

blackandstrong wrote:
jessierocks wrote:

I don't think one should come out in order to "enlarge" one's chances. This seems unethical to me.

enlarge....lol. :lol:

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:59 pm

I chose to identify as LGBT on my applications and, if the application allowed it, I wrote a diversity statement about it. I did it not to increase my chances of admission (because just being gay hasn't really been shown to do that) but because in order to get a full picture of who I am, it's a pretty relevant piece of information. If struggling or engaging in LGBT issues is a defining part of your character, highlight it; if you struggle with checking the box, then don't check it.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Be forewarned, I received a few LAMBDA mailings and a letter from NYU that had LGBT on the envelope. So if your mail goes home (I use the parents address just out of security) keep an eye out.

I was lucky enough that my Dad just threw it in the pile of "your lawyer school shit." 8)

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I chose to identify as LGBT on my applications and, if the application allowed it, I wrote a diversity statement about it. I did it not to increase my chances of admission (because just being gay hasn't really been shown to do that) but because in order to get a full picture of who I am, it's a pretty relevant piece of information. If struggling or engaging in LGBT issues is a defining part of your character, highlight it; if you struggle with checking the box, then don't check it.

+1 I did the exact same thing.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”