Middle of the road - 3.3, 162

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jcan91

Middle of the road - 3.3, 162

Postby jcan91 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm

AA female here. I notice most URMs who post tend to be splitters. I feel like my numbers may be more middle-of-the-road so I'm feeling very unsure about top 14 chances. I've gotten fee waivers from most of them so my plan is to toss apps like it's going out of style. I'm planning on retaking the LSAT in December, although with the limited time I've had available I can't say with conifdence that my score will shoot up that much.

That said, what do you guys think my T14 chances are as I stand?

EttaJ

Re: Middle of the road - 3.3, 162

Postby EttaJ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:36 pm

The profiles below (from last year) indicate that you have a chance at UVA, Michigan, and Georgetown. I think you probably have a shot at the lower half of the T-14 with your numbers as they currently stand. However if you were to gain even 2 points in December, your probability of gaining acceptance to T-14 schools will change drastically. Good luck, and let us know how it all works out! :lol:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/PerroCOMEPerro
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/plaiseadieu
Last edited by EttaJ on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 pm

It depends on your URM type. If you're AA, you probably have a shot at Michigan/UVA/GULC, maybe even Cornell. If you're anything else, you'll be lucky to get T20.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:12 am

Wormfather wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:It depends on your URM type. If you're AA, you probably have a shot at Michigan/UVA/GULC, maybe even Cornell. If you're anything else, you'll be lucky to get T20.

While I think that the T20 is almost a certainty, the rest seems to hold up.

http://myLSN.info/fjo99y

Edit: This is going to be a crazy cycle so as an AA you probably want to blanket the T14 minus HYS, you'll probably get one or two acceptances. Send out emails requesting fee waivers to everyone else tomorrow to save some dough.

Fortunately I ended up getting merit waivers from most of them and between that and LSAC waivers I haven't had to pay full price for anything yet. Fortunately UVA and UMich are among my top choices so I hope this follows through! Praying my score shoots up come December though. Still want to throw my hail Mary's to Y and H, just in case a few miracles decide to fly my way.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:12 am

EttaJ wrote:The profiles below (from last year) indicate that you have a chance at UVA, Michigan, and Georgetown. I think you probably have a shot at the lower half of the T-14 with your numbers as they currently stand. However if you were to gain even 2 points in December, your probability of gaining acceptance to T-14 schools will change drastically. Good luck, and let us know how it all works out! :lol:

Those profiles were really inspiring. Thanks for sharing! Nice to know I haven't been submitting my apps in vain.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:41 am

I know a 3.1/162 Mexican American that got WL at Cornell and some $$$$ from other T1s.

However, if you can get that LSAT score up a few more points you will have a much better shot at the T14. You can easily bring your score up 8-10 points by studying 3-4 hours a night, four nights a week for a few months. Shoot for a 180 in June, apply next cycle . . . and profit.

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:17 pm

jcan91 wrote:
EttaJ wrote:The profiles below (from last year) indicate that you have a chance at UVA, Michigan, and Georgetown. I think you probably have a shot at the lower half of the T-14 with your numbers as they currently stand. However if you were to gain even 2 points in December, your probability of gaining acceptance to T-14 schools will change drastically. Good luck, and let us know how it all works out! :lol:

Those profiles were really inspiring. Thanks for sharing! Nice to know I haven't been submitting my apps in vain.

No problem. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised by your outcome. Early congrats on your cycle's success!

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Wormfather wrote:
jump_man wrote:I know a 3.1/162 Mexican American that got WL at Cornell and some $$$$ from other T1s.

However, if you can get that LSAT score up a few more points you will have a much better shot at the T14. You can easily bring your score up 8-10 points by studying 3-4 hours a night, four nights a week for a few months. Shoot for a 180 in June, apply next cycle . . . and profit.

While you're right that more points is better, as an AA female she's got an awesome shot at lower t14 now. In fact I'd bet hard cash that she gets into multiples between 7-14.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

Additionally, regarding the whole boost thing, will it make any difference that I'm actually an immigrant and not just AA?

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 pm

jcan91 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
jump_man wrote:I know a 3.1/162 Mexican American that got WL at Cornell and some $$$$ from other T1s.

While you're right that more points is better, as an AA female she's got an awesome shot at lower t14 now. In fact I'd bet hard cash that she gets into multiples between 7-14.

Additionally, regarding the whole boost thing, will it make any difference that I'm actually an immigrant and not just AA?

Caribbean, right?

So am I, and I was told it makes no difference. Black/Afro Caribbean or Black/Afro American, our experiences are generally shared. On the outside looking in, we are all treated/viewed the same. :wink:

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Yup you guessed right. I had a feeling it wouldn't change anything haha. But that's okay, looking for a great cycle regardless :)

mommalee

Postby mommalee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:18 pm

I would think the only issue could be if you are applying as an international and not a US citizen/perm resident.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 pm

mommalee wrote:I would think the only issue could be if you are applying as an international and not a US citizen/perm resident.

Yeah that would be rather complicated. Fortunately I already have m residency so I should be fine in that respect.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:00 pm

I think you have a chance at a few lower t-14 - if you apply ASAP. A few extra points on the LSAT would have helped compensate for the GPA, but yeah - you have a good shot somewhere in the t20.

GULC is a decent possibility. Cornell is probably hard up for minorities. Berkeley and Michigan like unique and quirky people, so they are often more likely to look beyond the numbers. UVA...I'd say unlikely if you're not a VA resident, but you never know.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm

You should get a few T-14 acceptances due to your AA URM status & your 162 LSAT score.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 pm

I really hope I do. UVA and Michigan are definitely high on my list and as for Cornell, it seems I'm on the borderline as they said they would hold off on my application until I retook in December (I didn't ask them to do that so I assume it's going to be the deciding factor). As of yesterday I got all my apps in (minus Yale. I know logically I have absolutely no chance, but I can't help but try since I have a waiver anyway).

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:30 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
jcan91 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

Caribbean, right?

So am I, and I was told it makes no difference. Black/Afro Caribbean or Black/Afro American, our experiences are generally shared. On the outside looking in, we are all treated/viewed the same. :wink:

http://deloggio.com/diversty/black.html

According to the above site:
"One of the biggest areas of dissension in the minority applicant dialogue is that of Afro-Caribbeans versus African-Americans. Afro-Caribbeans often came here as other immigrant groups did, chasing the American Dream, and frequently they caught it! Many of the blacks with top LSAT scores are from families that recently emigrated to the United States, rather than being the descendants of American slaves.

One school of thought is that this subverts the original intent of affirmative action, rewarding blacks who don't deserve reparations -- or at least not from the United States. Some other imperialist country may owe them reparations, but we don't.
Another school of thought says that regardless of country of origin or length of time in the U.S., black professionals will serve as role models for both black and white Americans, proving to both groups that blacks are not racially or genetically inferior, and showing American ghetto blacks that they too can succeed.

I have no preference of one theory over the other; I find them both to be valid. But more to the point, some law schools will prefer to take African-Americans, even if they have lower numbers than their Afro-Caribbean peers, while others will take Black applicants with solid grades and LSAT scores regardless of country of origin."

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:45 pm

talesofyore wrote:I have no preference of one theory over the other; I find them both to be valid. But more to the point, some law schools will prefer to take African-Americans, even if they have lower numbers than their Afro-Caribbean peers, while others will take Black applicants with solid grades and LSAT scores regardless of country of origin."

And exactly how will a law school be able to differentiate between the black immigrant applicant and the African American applicant? Last I recall, most applications only have one of a handful of checkboxes that best identify black immigrants - "Black/(Non-Hispanic)".

Not to mention the fact that more than a handful of black law students attending the likes of HYS and other T14s are either Nigerian, Black Ethiopian/Kenyan or Afro-Caribbean. I won't be surprised if these group of black law students combined outnumber African Americans in the T14.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
talesofyore wrote:I have no preference of one theory over the other; I find them both to be valid. But more to the point, some law schools will prefer to take African-Americans, even if they have lower numbers than their Afro-Caribbean peers, while others will take Black applicants with solid grades and LSAT scores regardless of country of origin."

And exactly how will a law school be able to differentiate between the black immigrant applicant and the African American applicant? Last I recall, most applications only have one of a handful of checkboxes that best identify black immigrants - "Black/(Non-Hispanic)".

Not to mention the fact that more than a handful of black law students attending the likes of HYS and other T14s are either Nigerian, Black Ethiopian/Kenyan or Afro-Caribbean. I won't be surprised if these group of black law students combined outnumber African Americans in the T14.

I wondered about that too. Maybe if the non-Americans out themselves in personal statements? :D

One school I applied to did have a box where I had to check whether I was Black American or Black Caribbean though.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”