Any true AA M/F splitters

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
toshiroh

Any true AA M/F splitters

Postby toshiroh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:52 am

I mean like 2.5-2.9/ 168-170+

I can't find any prospects on Law school Numbers. What does the T14 prospects look like for a true URM splitter.

Nova

Re: Any true AA M/F splitters

Postby Nova » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 pm

toshiroh wrote:I mean like 2.5-2.9/ 168-170+

I can't find any prospects on Law school Numbers. What does the T14 prospects look like for a true URM splitter.

Thats because only 15-20 or so AAs with 168+ exist per cycle. Only a few are likely true splitters based on your definition.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=195443

Prospects of an AA with a 168+ are legit everywhere from Columbia down, I would estimate.

I bet (outside of YSH) an AA with a median or above LSAT would get close to a full ride, despite the B- LGPA.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 am

Thank you for answering. I just hadn't seen any information on it and wasn't aware that it was that rare.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Given my observations these past few years, many are able to gain acceptance into the lower T14s (for NW, more specifically for those with work experience). Even with that range of GPA, you can expect acceptance from at least one T20 law school.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

Given my observations these past few years, many are able to gain acceptance into the lower T14s (for NW, more specifically for those with work experience). Even with that range of GPA, you can expect acceptance from at least one T20 law school.

Non-URMs cam usually hit at least 1 T-20 within that range. The Non-URMS in the 2.8-2.9 range with a 170+ have a legit chance at one of Virginia, NU, Cornell, and Gtown. I would think that URMS would have a chance anywhere outside of HYS.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 pm

PickledPanda wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Non-URMs cam usually hit at least 1 T-20 within that range. The Non-URMS in the 2.8-2.9 range with a 170+ have a legit chance at one of Virginia, NU, Cornell, and Gtown. I would think that URMS would have a chance anywhere outside of HYS.

Why's that? What about schools within the T50? Should splitter URMs with an LSAT of 160+ be looking for $$$?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm

Nova wrote:Prospects of an AA with a 168+ are legit everywhere from Columbia down, I would estimate.

I bet (outside of YSH) an AA with a median or above LSAT would get close to a full ride, despite the B- LGPA.

(Caveat: I haven't looked at the 2 most recent cycles.)

This is ridiculously optimistic. Most top schools that don't take sub3 splitters aren't going to take those same splitters even if they are URM. As noted above, the best shots will be at NU/Cornell/GULC/UVA.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 pm

bk1 wrote:
Nova wrote:Prospects of an AA with a 168+ are legit everywhere from Columbia down, I would estimate.

This is ridiculously optimistic. Most top schools that don't take sub3 splitters aren't going to take those same splitters even if they are URM. As noted above, the best shots will be at NU/Cornell/GULC/UVA.

I mean, yeah, im purely speculating. I just think that, if youre one of the, what, easily less than ten AAs who score 172+ in a given cycle... CCN will at least seriously consider you.

Heres a 3.1/168 URM who got Columbia/NYU last cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/plaid2012/jd
Heres a 3.2/166 who got NYU last cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MaroonURM/jd

Some 173/3.2s and 174/3.2s non URMs got into NYU last year on LSN. Despite a lack of data points for extreme AA splitters, it seems plausable to me the AA boost can make up for having a few more Cs than those applicants. Perhaps not though. Just guessing.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Nova wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I mean, yeah, im purely speculating. I just think that, if youre one of the, what, easily less than ten AAs who score 172+ in a given cycle... CCN will at least seriously consider you.

Heres a 3.1/168 URM who got Columbia/NYU last cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/plaid2012/jd
Heres a 3.2/166 who got NYU last cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MaroonURM/jd

Some 173/3.2s and 174/3.2s non URMs got into NYU last year on LSN. Despite a lack of data points for extreme AA splitters, it seems plausable to me the AA boost can make up for having a few more Cs than those applicants. Perhaps not though. Just guessing.

URM splitters like this are extremely rare, so I think the best we can do is speculate. I based mine on non-URM's ability + an URM boost. But there is a possibility that below a certain point, a low gpa can't be overcome by LSAT and URM status. I think then things like Addenda etc. might play a larger role.

Edit to say: Adcomms might view a 2.9/170 worse than a 3.2/166 who knows?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Nova wrote:I mean, yeah, im purely speculating. I just think that, if youre one of the, what, easily less than ten AAs who score 172+ in a given cycle... CCN will at least seriously consider you.

You can't compare sub3s to low3s. The comparison makes no sense when many/most schools treat them differently. I looked at the sub3/170+ URM splitters from all cycles except the past 2. In one of the oldest cycles one of them snagged NYU. Other than that the best another could do was get WLed at NYU and the vast majority (if they get a T14 at all) get NU/UVA/GULC/Cornell.

3.0 really is a hard line for most schools and AA URM is unlikely to overcome it.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:11 pm

bk1 wrote:3.0 really is a hard line for most schools and AA URM is unlikely to overcome it.

You're talking specifically about the T5, right?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
bk1 wrote:3.0 really is a hard line for most schools and AA URM is unlikely to overcome it.

You're talking specifically about the T5, right?

No. I'm talking about any school that essentially has a 3.0 (or higher) floor. This includes the T5, yes, but it also includes a host of others schools (including non-T14s like UT/UCLA/USC/etc).

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”