Black Male: 152/3.38 LSAC GPA (3.6 uGPA) chances

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
snapstar12

Black Male: 152/3.38 LSAC GPA (3.6 uGPA) chances

Postby snapstar12 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:44 am

Black male checking in with T1 dreams.

Kenyan citizen, several leadership positions, started a nonprofit, 1 very strong recommendation, worked throughout undergrad, graduated cum laude and Phi Kappa Phi from a top public school. I had several terrible grades early on (a couple C's and D's) because I had to study the sciences (physical therapy) which highlight my academic weaknesses in an effort to get employed to file a I-140 immigrant petition. However, I was soon granted residency through my mothers changed status, transfered to the top state university, changed to my desired major of history and excelled in those classes, all of which I elaborate on in my DS. PS focuses on the skills I have learned through public speaking and debate and how they'll help me as a lawyer.

My prelaw advisor has told me that my unique story stands out where I lack academically and not to consider myself an automatic reject at every one of the 12 schools I'm looking at. I have been preparing my applications with a 3.6 GPA in mind and was hit hard by LSAC when I got the 3.38 news yesterday, not knowing they calculated grades that I didn't get transfer credit for and have long forgotten. Because I have already prepared to apply for this cycle (finished PS and DS, have all my recs in), I am going to go through with it with what I have.

I'm not aiming for Harvard, I just want to go to a top 50 school in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast. Do I have a shot at UVA early decision (I hear that boosts)? Cornell, Georgetown, GW, W&L, BU, BC, Fordham, W&M, George Mason, Maryland, American? Or should I expand and look more at Cardozo, Temple, Brooklyn and Northeastern?

LSN tells me people with my stats or worse have gotten into schools I'm looking at - what made their cases compelling? http://myLSN.info/1xxy54

presidentk1

Re: Black Male: 152/3.38 LSAC GPA (3.6 uGPA) chances

Postby presidentk1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 am

in before the rest of the retakes

snapstar12

Postby snapstar12 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 am

presidentk1 wrote:in before the rest of the retakes

I don't know what that means.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:22 am

snapstar12 wrote:
presidentk1 wrote:in before the rest of the retakes

I don't know what that means.

That means you should retake the LSAT.

You have a decent GPA, so if you could at least break into the 160's it would make a world of a difference to you. As in it would probably actually change the world you would live in after law school.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”