Apply or Re-take and next cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

LSAT retake in Feb or Not

Apply (no retake)
14%
Retake in Feb (and still apply this cycle)
57%
Retake in Feb (and apply next cycle)
29%

Total votes: 14

eav1277

Apply or Re-take and next cycle

Postby eav1277 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I just received my LSAT. I was very disappointed.

I have a lot of fee waivers. Would it be worth applying or should I retake in February and wait until next cycle. I have looked at law school numbers, but there are not too many Latinos with similar numbers. Thanks for all help and advice.
Last edited by eav1277 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gaud

Re: MA Male 3.66 GPA 159 LSAT--Apply or Re-take and next cycle

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:53 pm

You could probably apply to a few of your target schools and still plan on the retake. If you do, make sure you're not wasting money on too many apps.

I vote you just focus on a retake. Retaking is the best option. Better odds for acceptance and $$$$.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks. Luckily, I have fee waivers to all but two of my target schools so I won't waste too much money on apps. I know there isn't an exact number, but is there an estimated average MA LSAT bump during admissions?

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Why not December

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm on the quarter system, and the December LSAT is the weekend before finals (two finals and a paper due on Monday).

With February, I'd have winter break to begin studying more intensely again and the LSAT would be around week 4 (much less work compared to weekend before finals).

Or is a December retake possibly a better option because I'd get my scores back earlier (if I were to apply this cylce)?

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am

Voted apply no retake because I think that retake is better used in June and you never know with this down cycle. I'm not an expert on admissions but it would seem like if there was any cycle where a high 150 could pull T14(s) it would be this one.

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm

eav1277 wrote:I'm on the quarter system, and the December LSAT is the weekend before finals (two finals and a paper due on Monday).

With February, I'd have winter break to begin studying more intensely again and the LSAT would be around week 4 (much less work compared to weekend before finals).

Or is a December retake possibly a better option because I'd get my scores back earlier (if I were to apply this cylce)?

You go to UCLA. :wink:

Don't take in December if you're not at your peak or at least where you want to be.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:06 am

Nice catch Cal alumni. lol. I forgot that UC Berkeley and Merced are on the semester system.

I ended up not registering for the December LSAT. I am now deciding between retaking in either February or October.

With October, I could study all summer but would have to reapply next cycle.

Do people expect the downward trend (in number of applicants) to continue next year?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:03 am

gaud wrote:You could probably apply to a few of your target schools and still plan on the retake. If you do, make sure you're not wasting money on too many apps.

I vote you just focus on a retake. Retaking is the best option. Better odds for acceptance and $$$$.

I agree with this, with the caveat that since apps are down there's little reason to wait. Apply to all of the schools you desire. You are basically a 160, and your GPA is solid. With your GPA/LSAT you are in pretty good position for T14 schools. One smart strategy being emloyed these days is to apply - if "in range" already, as you are - and use a retake as ammo over the summer to get off of any W/L's or increase $$$.

Retake in June, not February. If you're retaking you want to give yourself as much practice as possible. A February retake with a small increase gives you nothing to use over the summer to re- direct attention back to your file. In the spring, Adcoms will have seen and taken into consideration your February score. The same increase in June can get you additional $$$ or get you off of a W/L. And what if you hit 170?! That's a complete game-changer at all of your schools.

If you aren't expecting any awards it's smart not to shoot all of your proverbial bullets in the winter. Apply now, practice for a retake and prepare a short optional essay for the summer. Having a good excuse to make the adcom re-visit your file increases the chance that you will get admitted if initially denied, get off of waitlists or increase your $$$ offers.
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:15 am

Thanks Pdaddy for all the info. I actually ended up sending in quite a few applications (luckily fee waivers saved me a buttload of money).

I was leaning towards retaking in February (using Noodleyone's Foolproof guide and hoping to boost my score at least several points).

However, I'll definitely think about June (or possibly October) if I'm not scoring where I'd like. I am just a little hesitant because I'll have a much more difficult quarter before the June LSAT (workload wise), and the June LSAT will be the Monday of my Finals week.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46 pm

You're welcome. Try to arrange your schedule so this isn't the case.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:20 pm

eav1277 wrote:I just received my LSAT. I was very disappointed. 159. Pting around 163.

I have a lot of fee waivers. Would it be worth applying or should I retake in February and wait until next cycle. I have looked at law school numbers, but there are not too many Latinos with similar numbers. Thanks for all help and advice.

Info:

MA Male
from a UC (Berkeley or LA)

LSAC GPA:3.66
LSAT: 159

Softs: (nothing spectacular)
JusticeCorps (americorps program)
Internships at two legal aid foundations
Latino Prelaw leadership position
campus organizations

Fellow MA here.. I was PTing around a 162 for June, scored a 160. Decided to retake, scored a 169 in October. If you decide to retake, just wanted to give you some encouragement! You can definitely do it! I rec'd Manhattan guides.. But either way, good luck!

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Teflon Don. I just ordered the manhattan books. I'm using NoodleyOne's Guide for Retakers(fellow TLSer who recently scored a 179). The guide stresses a lot of drilling by type and preptests. I'm hoping for the best. I'm motivated now just hope I can stay so.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”