3.92/162 AA Male

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Nova

Re: 3.92/162 AA Male

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Looks like it doesnt matter when you apply at some schools because they dont review your file till you dont have a pending score.
Dean_Ray wrote:All, I know that many of you received your LSAT scores last night. And that some of you may be considering retaking the exam in December. There are two points to consider.

First, we review applications on a rolling basis. The order in which your application is reviewed is determined by the date that application is completed. If we see a pending LSAT score, your application is not complete and it will not be placed in the queue for review until we receive that LSAT score, assuming we have all other materials.

Second, most people do not change their LSAT score by a significant margin by retaking the exam unless there were extenuating circumstances before or during the first exam (e.g., getting mugged on the way to the exam --happened to a friend of mine).

With these two pieces of information, I would encourage those applicants considering retaking the exam in December to weigh the likelihood of increasing the score by 4 or 5 points against being later in the admissions cycle. Only you know how hard you prepared for the first exam and whether you're willing to put in MORE work to retake the exam.

Best,

RR

IMO, apply everywhere meow. You have a near perfect GPA and a score that is probably about top 300 of all AAs as is. No where is out of the question. As you know, you can surely write your own ticket to the HYS by performing closer to your true ability on test day.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:38 pm

No insight. Just here to wish you luck man!

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 pm

gaud wrote:No insight. Just here to wish you luck man!

Word. We are all rooting for you Wormy!!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Probably in at NYU on down. Definitely in at BMDNCG. Some shot at CC and an outside shot at H.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Wormfather wrote:Thanks for the support and advice guys. I've given advice to other people, but for myself I wanted people who knew what they were talking about, :lol:.

I guess I'll start spitting the apps out and hope that I can at least split the difference between my average and my oct score, that'd be about a 166 which I think would make me close to a lock for a T4.

AA male here. Applying this cycle as well, but I've done extensive research on us since I'm an AA male myself. You're a lock for a T-14 already as you seem to already know. I think with your stats already you are at play at literally every single school. Even Yale accepted a 157, and your GPA is gold. A 4.0/159 AA female from last cycle is attending H right now, and turned down several other T-14s with $$. Although you don't have a 4.0, your GPA is still above every school's median (and more than half of the T-14's 75th%, for what it's worth), so you should get very similar treatment.

Secondly, Nova's advice is wrong. Send all of your apps out now. In every app you have to note that you're taking the LSAT in December and every school you've applied to gets an email when you register for an LSAT so they'll know. However, send every school an email after you send your application and ask them to review your application now as opposed to when your LSAT comes in and they'll oblige. In fact, many top schools review your application right away regardless of a pending LSAT (Michigan, Duke, and Georgetown, for example), but just play it safe and email them all. If they're on the fence about you or you get waitlisted they will reconsider once your new score comes in. It never hurts to retake, but you're golden as it is. Wish I could give you my LSAT and you could give me your GPA lol.

If you put together a compelling application you could really see some magic happen. Nothing is off limits to you. Best of luck to you, bro.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:17 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:Secondly, Nova's advice is wrong. Send all of your apps out now.

Nova wrote: apply everywhere meow.

Nothing I said was inconsistant with your post.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Wormfather wrote:One last question: Do I mention being an AA/URM in my fee waiver requests?

I mentioned my URM status in fee waiver requests last cycle, and I think it matters.

Something like

I am a [URM] [gender] with a [GPA] and [LSAT]. I was wondering if I qualify for a fee waiver. If so, I would like to request one.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Nova wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:Secondly, Nova's advice is wrong. Send all of your apps out now.

Nova wrote: apply everywhere meow.

Nothing I said was inconsistant with your post.

What you quoted doesn't show the point of the paragraph. I was referring to this:

Nova wrote:Looks like it doesnt matter when you apply at some schools because they dont review your file till you dont have a pending score.
TrialLawyer16 wrote:Secondly, Nova's advice is wrong. Send all of your apps out now. In every app you have to note that you're taking the LSAT in December and every school you've applied to gets an email when you register for an LSAT so they'll know. However, send every school an email after you send your application and ask them to review your application now as opposed to when your LSAT comes in and they'll oblige. In fact, many top schools review your application right away regardless of a pending LSAT (Michigan, Duke, and Georgetown, for example), but just play it safe and email them all. If they're on the fence about you or you get waitlisted they will reconsider once your new score comes in.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Nova wrote:
Wormfather wrote:One last question: Do I mention being an AA/URM in my fee waiver requests?

I mentioned my URM status in fee waiver requests last cycle, and I think it matters.

Something like

I am a [URM] [gender] with a [GPA] and [LSAT]. I was wondering if I qualify for a fee waiver. If so, I would like to request one.

+1 It can only help. Even throw in info about your resident state, work experience, etc. It won't make it look like you're throwing out the URM card as much and it can also help with the request.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:13 pm

PMed to debate semantics. :P

Postby 20121109 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Um, Worm?

You better apply to all of T14 and enjoy your acceptance cycle, boo. A 3.92/162 AA male has a solid chance at HYS, and I anticipate admission to the rest. I know people at HLS with similar stats as yours and they got in during a much more competitive cycle. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you get rejected from lower ranked schools but get into higher ranked schools; URM cycles, especially AA male cycles, are unpredictable.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Postby 20121109 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Wormfather wrote:One more question:

Should you send a thank you email after a solicited fee waiver has been granted? When they say "best of luck" or something to that effect, I feel like the communication has been terminated.

Feel free to say thank you if want but it's not necessary. If you do, though, make sure you proof read that shit!

"Best of luck" :wink:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Wormfather wrote:One more question:

Should you send a thank you email after a solicited fee waiver has been granted? When they say "best of luck" or something to that effect, I feel like the communication has been terminated.

nah

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”