Should I retake? AA Female 3.15GPA Current LSATS 161 and 164

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Awilli

Should I retake? AA Female 3.15GPA Current LSATS 161 and 164

Postby Awilli » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:25 am

Hey guys, so I've been on this forum for a while but I've never posted before...so here goes.

I am an AA female from Boson. I'm trying to decide (1) where I should apply and will actually have a chance of getting in and (2) if I should just keep my scores or take again in December. I'm really disappointed in my October 2012 score since I was really sick for 2 weeks before the test plus had 3 midterms the same week as the test so that I didn't feel prepared at all, but my parents convinced me not to cancel.

I can't really ask any of my friends for help since I know it is a different game for me being AA. I'm so confused by all of this stuff and have been feeling really overwhelmed so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

EttaJ

Re: Should I retake? AA Female 3.15GPA Current LSATS 161 and 164

Postby EttaJ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Awilli wrote:Hey guys, so I've been on this forum for a while but I've never posted before...so here goes.

I am an AA female from Boson. I'm trying to decide (1) where I should apply and will actually have a chance of getting in and (2) if I should just keep my scores or take again in December. I'm really disappointed in my October 2012 score since I was really sick for 2 weeks before the test plus had 3 midterms the same week as the test so that I didn't feel prepared at all, but my parents convinced me not to cancel.

I can't really ask any of my friends for help since I know it is a different game for me being AA. I'm so confused by all of this stuff and have been feeling really overwhelmed so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Congrats on your higher LSAT score!

In terms of a retake...did you have higher practice test scores? Do you feel like you studied enough? If you feel you can get a score that is substantially higher by December, then yes, you should retake. You have nothing to lose. However, if 164 was within your range and you have studied well, then no, I wouldn't bother retaking.

With the stats you currently have, I think you are competitive for the bottom half of the T-14. Here is a profile you can refer to:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011

If you are able, I would still apply to the entire T-14 minus HYS (I don't know your softs...if you think they are amazing send apps to HYS as well). Other than that I would look to strong schools near you BC, BU, etc. that might give you money.

Good Luck!

Awilli

Re: Should I retake? AA Female 3.15GPA Current LSATS 161 and 164

Postby Awilli » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:49 pm

As I said before, I really didn't get the chance to study in the last few weeks due to sickness and actual school work. I guess I'm just going to retake and hope a higher score will help mitigate my low GPA and being late in the cycle.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”