3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LittleTree
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm

3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby LittleTree » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:50 am

Well, scores are out. I scored in my range. I'm not sure if I could do better than a 167. I scored many mid-170s, but also a lot of mid-160s on PTs. I say this because I'm sure retake will be a portion of the responses and I'm not sure if I will or not.

What are my chances at the 14+ USC, UCLA, Washington? Do any of you think it would make sense to apply ED to Chicago and what do you think my chances would be?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Fairly averages softs ( summer research/book editing, won some cash prize business competitions, officer in greek life etc)

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:04 am

Don't ED anywhere. You have great stats for a URM.

Apply to the entire t14. I would not be surprised if you get at least one of HYS. Good luck.

LittleTree
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby LittleTree » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks. What do you think about a retake?
If I can avoid a retake I'd really like to apply now.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:47 am

LittleTree wrote:Thanks. What do you think about a retake?
If I can avoid a retake I'd really like to apply now.


As a NA URM, your numbers are solid for HYS. Retake if you want to, but don't stress it. If I were you. I'd just send in my apps and watch the acceptances and $$$ roll in.

angflos
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby angflos » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 am

I'm in the same boat as you, 167, I've gotten PTs in the 170s, and some in low 160s (my average was 166). I don't think it'd be worth it to retake for only a few points, especially with the risk of going down to a 165 (or worse).

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby PMan99 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 am

LittleTree wrote:Thanks. What do you think about a retake?
If I can avoid a retake I'd really like to apply now.


You're pretty solid for HS. Yale is who knows. If you really, really want academia a retake might be worth it, otherwise, you're good.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 am

Are you registered with a tribe? As long as you are, I think you will have no problem getting into any school. If i were you, I probably would not retake right now....I would apply this year and if for some (in this case, very unlikely) reason, I was not satisfied with my results, I would wait a year and retake/reapply. But honestly you already have kickass numbers, and there is no reason to subject yourself to more LSAT craziness if you don't have to. Oh, and definitely do not ED. It locks you in and takes away the possibility of scholarship money (well, you may get a little but you don't have much bargaining power), and it is completely unnecessary in your position.

If you aren't registered with a tribe, it might be less certain. But you can still write a diversity statement that I think could make a big difference. Good luck! (and enjoy Yale :D )

angflos
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby angflos » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:40 pm

If you really want to go to Chicago, I don't see anything wrong with ED'ing there. But if your heart isn't set on it, I wouldn't do it.

User avatar
Justin Genious
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby Justin Genious » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:34 pm

angflos wrote:If you really want to go to Chicago, I don't see anything wrong with ED'ing there. But if your heart isn't set on it, I wouldn't do it.

No. Apply RD and you will likely get $$$ at Chicago.

User avatar
Nightrunner
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby Nightrunner » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:35 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Oh, and definitely do not ED. It locks you in and takes away the possibility of scholarship money (well, you may get a little but you don't have much bargaining power), and it is completely unnecessary in your position.

LittleTree
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby LittleTree » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks for all the responses, this has helped me a lot. Gonna blanket T14 minus UVA/Georgetown because I'm not really interested in either. Applying to USC, UCLA, and Washington also. Should I add or scratch any schools from this list? Should I pick a safety a little farther down or not worry?

ajr
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: 3.93/167 NA URM - ED to chicago?

Postby ajr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 am

LittleTree wrote:Well, scores are out. I scored in my range. I'm not sure if I could do better than a 167. I scored many mid-170s, but also a lot of mid-160s on PTs. I say this because I'm sure retake will be a portion of the responses and I'm not sure if I will or not.

What are my chances at the 14+ USC, UCLA, Washington? Do any of you think it would make sense to apply ED to Chicago and what do you think my chances would be?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Fairly averages softs ( summer research/book editing, won some cash prize business competitions, officer in greek life etc)


With those numbers you are pretty much a lock at least one of HYS. Not sure what you are hoping to gain by a retake. And congrats!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SEOLawRecruiter and 2 guests