NA, 157, 3.45 What to do?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
subtle

NA, 157, 3.45 What to do?

Postby subtle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi all,

I would like to point out that I am *not* posting for myself. I am posting on behalf of my roommate, in an effort to better advise him.

He is a NA male with a 157 from a large, public undergrad. He has 2 years of work experience, is fluent in three languages, and has a 3.45 (LSDAS UGPA). After receiving his score tonight, he's kind of at a loss as to what to do, and would like some advice from you all (given that you all served me well during my cycle).

We've been to LSN and law school predictor, but both are somewhere between unreliable and not useful for Native Americans; there are just so few of them.

He is unsure whether or not he feels like he hit a wall while studying. He was PTing at about a 162. He's currently floating around a few options and is wondering what you all think:

1. Buckle down and study more for the December test, meanwhile completing his personal statement and the rest of his applications (so as to have everything ready when the December test scores come back).

2. Study for the February test, considering that minority cycles can be unpredictable and, often, minority decisions don't come back until the last minute.

3. Take another year off and study more. (This option is the most up in the air. He's not sure what he would do with another year off. Working in our current job for another year is *not* an option.)

4. Reconsider law school entirely.

Given that 3 of the 4 options are retake, telling me to tell him to retake is not a useful piece of advice. Apart from that, any and all thoughts are welcome.

angflos

Re: NA, 157, 3.45 What to do?

Postby angflos » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm

It depends what his goals are. Can't he still get in somewhere in the top 50 with URM boost (like Baylor or around there?)

I'm not sure if he should retake, especially in December. First, I don't think he will improve much in a month. Second, he may have not been studying the right way from the beginning, so studying this month won't really help. I think if he wants to go to law school, rather than putting aside more time for the LSAT he should work on his PS and try to find some reaches he could get into with the URM boost.

That being said, if he really wants to get into a top 20, then I would accept not applying this cycle and really working for next year. I used pithypike's guide which is basically taking every LR and LG question from the first PTs grouped by type and difficulty. Not sure if its the best way but it helps.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”