Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:39 pm

Hey guys!

I'm a Chilean-American female applying this cycle. I have a 3.1 gpa from UC Davis, but I feel like I'm going to end up being a splitter. My practice LSATs have been in the 167-173s and I feel pretty good about the October LSAT.

My real question is whether specifically being Chilean will give me a boost above other Hispanics since I would see myself as a minority of a minority. What do you think?

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:Hey guys!

I'm a Chilean-American female applying this cycle. I have a 3.1 gpa from UC Davis, but I feel like I'm going to end up being a splitter. My practice LSATs have been in the 167-173s and I feel pretty good about the October LSAT.

My real question is whether specifically being Chilean will give me a boost above other Hispanics since I would see myself as a minority of a minority. What do you think?


Chilean-American, ehh? I bet you are incredibly beautiful. Maybe I will end up at the same law school as you. I am looking for a wifey.

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:50 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:Hey guys!

I'm a Chilean-American female applying this cycle. I have a 3.1 gpa from UC Davis, but I feel like I'm going to end up being a splitter. My practice LSATs have been in the 167-173s and I feel pretty good about the October LSAT.

My real question is whether specifically being Chilean will give me a boost above other Hispanics since I would see myself as a minority of a minority. What do you think?


Chilean-American, ehh? I bet you are incredibly beautiful. Maybe I will end up at the same law school as you. I am looking for a wifey.


Sorry to break it to you but I already have a boyfriend. ;P

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby Nova » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get a notable URM bump. All other hispanics get less of a bump.

You are likely to get into UCD with a 167+

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Nova wrote:Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get a notable URM bump. All other hispanics get less of a bump.

You are likely to get into UCD with a 167+


Oh I see. That's too bad. I was hoping that the lack of Chileans in Law may lead schools to want to bring in some more diversity. Thanks for giving me that info. Useful to know. (:

User avatar
CalAlumni
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby CalAlumni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm

If you check out lawschoolnumbers.com you'll see that often times non-ma/pr hispanics get a decent boost. I think it depends on the school, circumstances, DS, etc. Good luck, hope your LSAT score comes back high...I'm waiting as well.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby Nova » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:
Nova wrote:Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get a notable URM bump. All other hispanics get less of a bump.

You are likely to get into UCD with a 167+


Oh I see. That's too bad. I was hoping that the lack of Chileans in Law may lead schools to want to bring in some more diversity. Thanks for giving me that info. Useful to know. (:


The reasoning is that, proportional to the amount or US citizens who are MA/PR, there are relatively very few MA/PR lawyers. For instance, there are over 30 million MAs in the country, about 10% of the US population, yet MAs only make up about 2% of law students.

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:14 pm

CalAlumni wrote:If you check out lawschoolnumbers.com you'll see that often times non-ma/pr hispanics get a decent boost. I think it depends on the school, circumstances, DS, etc. Good luck, hope your LSAT score comes back high...I'm waiting as well.


I was trying out lawschoolnumbers.com, but I'm having trouble finding the specific information. You're probably right that it depends. Good luck to you too!

Nova wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:
Nova wrote:Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get a notable URM bump. All other hispanics get less of a bump.

You are likely to get into UCD with a 167+


Oh I see. That's too bad. I was hoping that the lack of Chileans in Law may lead schools to want to bring in some more diversity. Thanks for giving me that info. Useful to know. (:


The reasoning is that, proportional to the amount or US citizens who are MA/PR, there are relatively very few MA/PR lawyers. For instance, there are over 30 million MAs in the country, about 10% of the US population, yet MAs only make up about 2% of law students.


Oh I see! So say Chileans make 1% (it's liekly it's lower), and only 30% of that 1% are lawyers, the proportions are still too small compared to the potential of the MA/PR population percentage to be lawyers. So they focus more on them instead and boost them more.

That's interesting. I was also reading somewhere that a lot of "minority minorities" are simply grouped with their larger group (like Chileans would be grouped as Hispanics), because their population isn't big enough to be their own separate URM group. Not sure if that's true though. The article itself said that there's not a lot of data on it.

nelaw2010
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby nelaw2010 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm Chilean-American too. 3.0 GPA, 167 LSAT.

You can see my cycle on lawschoolnumbers.com (same name = nelaw2010).

I got WL at GT (probably would have gotten in had I applied earlier).

In at every school from GW and lower (including UCI - $50k schools, and IUB w/full schools).

Rejected at every t-14, USC. WL at WUSTL and NW (I applied too late to NW to have a chance).

10 years out of law school, a lot of work experience, and other interesting activities.

However, I think being Latino definitely helped. Let me know how it goes!

Viva Chile!!!!!

p.s. I ended up at USD w/$95k scholly.

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:41 pm

nelaw2010 wrote:I'm Chilean-American too. 3.0 GPA, 167 LSAT.

You can see my cycle on lawschoolnumbers.com (same name = nelaw2010).

I got WL at GT (probably would have gotten in had I applied earlier).

In at every school from GW and lower (including UCI - $50k schools, and IUB w/full schools).

Rejected at every t-14, USC. WL at WUSTL and NW (I applied too late to NW to have a chance).

10 years out of law school, a lot of work experience, and other interesting activities.

However, I think being Latino definitely helped. Let me know how it goes!

Viva Chile!!!!!

p.s. I ended up at USD w/$95k scholly.


This info really helps! I'm so happy there's another Chilean around. (:

I like these numbers and acceptances. I hope to get into UCLA, but we'll see. I'll def post my acceptances, rejections, and waitlists once I get responses. I haven't sent in my apps yet because I'm waiting for the Oct LSAT results. Is that considered late?

nelaw2010
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby nelaw2010 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Technically, yes. You want to apply as early as possible. But hopefully it won't make too much of a difference overall.

Make sure to include a diversity statement. And if you get below 167, consider a retake.

Let me know how it goes! Good luck!!

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 pm

nelaw2010 wrote:Technically, yes. You want to apply as early as possible. But hopefully it won't make too much of a difference overall.

Make sure to include a diversity statement. And if you get below 167, consider a retake.

Let me know how it goes! Good luck!!


All right, I'll make sure to include that. (:

Thanks!

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Chilean-American Female (3.1 GPA, waiting for LSAT results)

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:04 pm

168! :D




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest