Advice on how to proceed?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
sneakerspot001

Advice on how to proceed?

Postby sneakerspot001 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:15 pm

New to the forms and need informed advice on my situation.

Fall semester freshman year, I took an elementary algebra class, didnt take it serious and got a F. Did the same thing again Spring semester freshman year and got another F. (didnt feel I needed to be in the class and missed the max amount of days both semesters). Since then, sophomore year upwards, i have had a 4.0 GPA, and bc the algebra courses were remedial courses they weren't considered college level courses and didn't affect my LSAC gpa or ugpa.

I am a AA URM graduating this year with a 3.79 lsac gpa and 164 lsat aiming for HYSCCN

My advice is whether I should write an addendum for this? Or should I not even attract attention to this bad spot on my transcript and allow admission officers to infer my obvious growth and maturity from my upward grade trajectory from my 6 straight 4.0 semesters and decent overall gpa?

Can you someone please help and give me serious, informed advice especially as it would relate to admissions to the T6 especially HYS.

dukeblue

Re: Advice on how to proceed?

Postby dukeblue » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 am

sneakerspot001 wrote:New to the forms and need informed advice on my situation.

Fall semester freshman year, I took an elementary algebra class, didnt take it serious and got a F. Did the same thing again Spring semester freshman year and got another F. (didnt feel I needed to be in the class and missed the max amount of days both semesters). Since then, sophomore year upwards, i have had a 4.0 GPA, and bc the algebra courses were remedial courses they weren't considered college level courses and didn't affect my LSAC gpa or ugpa.

I am a AA URM graduating this year with a 3.79 lsac gpa and 164 lsat aiming for HYSCCN

My advice is whether I should write an addendum for this? Or should I not even attract attention to this bad spot on my transcript and allow admission officers to infer my obvious growth and maturity from my upward grade trajectory from my 6 straight 4.0 semesters and decent overall gpa?

Can you someone please help and give me serious, informed advice especially as it would relate to admissions to the T6 especially HYS.

I would write an addendum only if you can explain (better than you did here) the reason for two Fs. OTOH, without those Fs, those numbers are likely good enough for CCN. Even for a AA male, the GPA is a bit low for a lock at HYS. (Even though you didn't ask, you'd probably be a lock for MPV down (except N), too.)

Basically, you need to find out if a school cares about individual grades in addition to GPA. Generally, though, schools just don't want to see a downward trend.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 am

dukeblue wrote:Even for a AA male, the GPA is a bit low for a lock at HYS.

You couldn't be more wrong.

OP, as an AA applicant your GPA is stellar and is NOT low for a lock at HYS. The only number that may be an issue is your LSAT score, though you still have a shot at Harvard and Stanford with your 164. For Yale, you will need higher, but I've seen Yale accept an AA male with a 159/3.7, so who knows? Though, if you can re-take and score even a few points higher you're pretty much a shoe in at Harvard and Stanford. Yale is unpredictable.

Write an addendum explaining circumstances surrounding the "F" grades. It's best to be proactive and cover all your basis in case they ask.

Good luck!

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:21 pm

sneakerspot001 wrote:My advice is whether I should write an addendum for this?

I wouldn't. I have the identical problem (frigging polynomials...), but it didn't factor into my LSAC GPA, so I'm not going to be writing one, either.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”