Native American URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
C_Koschier

Native American URM?

Postby C_Koschier » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 am

I am a native American descendant, without a tribal ID or CBID. I spent my early life outside of a Native American reserve in California and believe that I can write a strong diversity statement that will both show my connection to my Native American Culture, and define what diversity I can bring to law schools.

I expect to get somewhere in the 160's (I know that there is a lot of variation here) on the LSATs, and my GPA is a 4.0 from a community college/state university, with a Humanities/Communication program.

I am having difficulty trying to judge how and where I should apply, if T-14's are even in my reach, and if they are, if I am going to be looking at any money. I know that Native American applications are very hard to judge because of how infrequent they are, but any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Chris
Last edited by C_Koschier on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSterling

Re: Native American URM?

Postby RSterling » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 am

If you have a legitimate connection to an NA community/tribe, and you can paint a good story, 160+ will likely land you T14. 165 and above will put you in range for HYS and some money from the rest of the T14. Like you said, NA applicants, are incredibly rare, so schools will likely be very attracted to the diversity that you can bring.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 am

If you can get 160+ you should apply to all of T14.

C_Koschier

Postby C_Koschier » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 pm

I am not *necessarily* interested in working for a large law firm. Would blanketing the T-14's give me the possibility of grabbing enough money to make the idea attractive (or the ability to pay off my loans through repayment, when I work in public service/government, which is what I am currently leaning towards.)

Lets assume for the sake of this question I score a 162, as I feel that is my over/under.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:52 am

RSterling wrote:If you have a legitimate connection to an NA community/tribe, and you can paint a good story, 160+ will likely land you T14. 165 and above will put you in range for HYS and some money from the rest of the T14. Like you said, NA applicants, are incredibly rare, so schools will likely be very attracted to the diversity that you can bring.

Likely? A Native American with a 4.0 GPA has to try NOT to get into HYS.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:08 pm

I hope OP meant NA reservation, not reserve, unless they are Canadian. Getting the name of a reservation wrong would probably send up red flags...

In answer to your question, the biggest impact will be in how close and legitimate your ties are to the culture. I am an enrolled tribal member (1/2 quantum), president of the Native American Association at my school and I plan on studying Indian Law, with career goals of working for a tribe or related area. Thus, I'm hoping that my URM status will be taken a bit more seriously than someone who discovered in the midst of their law school applications that they can vaguely claim NA ancestry.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:17 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
RSterling wrote:If you have a legitimate connection to an NA community/tribe, and you can paint a good story, 160+ will likely land you T14. 165 and above will put you in range for HYS and some money from the rest of the T14. Like you said, NA applicants, are incredibly rare, so schools will likely be very attracted to the diversity that you can bring.

Likely? A Native American with a 4.0 GPA has to try NOT to get into HYS.

Last cycle, TLSP was waitlisted at H, rejected and SY with a 165/4.1 (first in her class). She eventually got in, but the moral of the story is, it's not anything close to this certain.

CalPolyLaw

Postby CalPolyLaw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm

My grandmother was full blood cherokee, but I didn't really know her or get to really hear of any of her experiences other than my mother telling me that she was a tough lady. I don't look at all Native American. How can I use this to my benefit, don't really have anything to say about it in my PS. Should I just put down on the application that I'm part Native American??

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”