Page 9 of 10

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:25 am
by hcss11
Bump to top

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:16 pm
by pepperlampkin
top10hopeful wrote:Based on this information, where should my targets be? Why do I feel like CCN are out of the question even if only 90 other people will score at this level or above.

LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.12


160, 3.28 in at CCN.

I doubt it's out of the question for you.

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:05 pm
by Jessicakes90
pepperlampkin wrote:
top10hopeful wrote:Based on this information, where should my targets be? Why do I feel like CCN are out of the question even if only 90 other people will score at this level or above.

LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.12


160, 3.28 in at CCN.

I doubt it's out of the question for you.


This gave me so much hope... I applied to CLS and NYU on a whim despite lackluster GPA (3.1, LSAT 168) and basically haven't even given it a second thought because I'm so sure it's a ding. But it's nice to know it might not be fully out of the question!

Post removed...

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:40 pm
by velvet-lou
Post removed...

REMOVED

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:59 pm
by rfhassan
REMOVED

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:04 pm
by ltowns1
rfhassan wrote:chances please?
GPA 4.0
Lsat: 161, 159, 168
The fact I had to take the lsat three times to get to 168 is making me feel like it would be a negative..
Thoughts and advice appreciated!



Nope, you're good. Apply everywhere.

I want some recent numbers for black male Harvard applicants and LSAT scores

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:33 pm
by GreekOmega12
Bump.

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 am
by dreamerchic19
Good to know where to go...

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:23 pm
by Jessicakes90
Just to answer earlier q's...
AA female, 3.1 GPA, 168 LSAT.
Applied in Jan/Feb 2015 to law school (Don't make my mistake.)
Did the SEO program, which I highly recommend.
Currently at GULC. ETA: with almost a full-ride.

I was dinged at NYU and CLS, WL at Duke, Penn and Northwestern. Did not apply to any other T14's because I didn't think I was qualified (Don't make that mistake either.) In everywhere else I applied - Vandy, GW, etc. etc. etc. Decided not to ride the waitlists because I actually want BigLaw in DC and had already began making connections in DC (see SEO program, above). That being said, I met a lot of people over the summer with roughly my stats in at HYS - just make sure you apply early!

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:15 am
by Cochran
.

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 am
by Cochran
Jessicakes90 wrote:Just to answer earlier q's...
AA female, 3.1 GPA, 168 LSAT.
Applied in Jan/Feb 2015 to law school (Don't make my mistake.)
Did the SEO program, which I highly recommend.
Currently at GULC. ETA: with almost a full-ride.

I was dinged at NYU and CLS, WL at Duke, Penn and Northwestern. Did not apply to any other T14's because I didn't think I was qualified (Don't make that mistake either.) In everywhere else I applied - Vandy, GW, etc. etc. etc. Decided not to ride the waitlists because I actually want BigLaw in DC and had already began making connections in DC (see SEO program, above). That being said, I met a lot of people over the summer with roughly my stats in at HYS - just make sure you apply early!

Congrats on GULC! Would you consider applying this weekend/before thanksgiving to be a major advantage? Also, when did submit your SEO application?

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 pm
by Jessicakes90
Cochran wrote:
Jessicakes90 wrote:Just to answer earlier q's...
AA female, 3.1 GPA, 168 LSAT.
Applied in Jan/Feb 2015 to law school (Don't make my mistake.)
Did the SEO program, which I highly recommend.
Currently at GULC. ETA: with almost a full-ride.

I was dinged at NYU and CLS, WL at Duke, Penn and Northwestern. Did not apply to any other T14's because I didn't think I was qualified (Don't make that mistake either.) In everywhere else I applied - Vandy, GW, etc. etc. etc. Decided not to ride the waitlists because I actually want BigLaw in DC and had already began making connections in DC (see SEO program, above). That being said, I met a lot of people over the summer with roughly my stats in at HYS - just make sure you apply early!

Congrats on GULC! Would you consider applying this weekend/before thanksgiving to be a major advantage? Also, when did submit your SEO application?


Thanks! I definitely think applying before Thanksgiving is an advantage - definitely before December if you can. I applied to everything really late (I think I was the last possible cycle for SEO), but it's still worth it to get it in early! You won't hear back from SEO until acceptances start rolling in - so don't panic - but get the application process going soon if possible.

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:01 pm
by jnwa
Jessicakes90 wrote:
Thanks! I definitely think applying before Thanksgiving is an advantage - definitely before December if you can. I applied to everything really late (I think I was the last possible cycle for SEO), but it's still worth it to get it in early! You won't hear back from SEO until acceptances start rolling in - so don't panic - but get the application process going soon if possible.


Do you mind sharing when you got scholarship info from GULC. I just got in but I've heard bad things about their scholarship generosity.

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:02 pm
by Big Dog
some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/51_gradu ... _test.html

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:09 pm
by Jessicakes90
jnwa wrote:
Jessicakes90 wrote:
Thanks! I definitely think applying before Thanksgiving is an advantage - definitely before December if you can. I applied to everything really late (I think I was the last possible cycle for SEO), but it's still worth it to get it in early! You won't hear back from SEO until acceptances start rolling in - so don't panic - but get the application process going soon if possible.


Do you mind sharing when you got scholarship info from GULC. I just got in but I've heard bad things about their scholarship generosity.


I applied late and got scholarship info pretty late but supposedly GULC is a bit stingy at first because they want to make sure they can give money to everyone. Don't be afraid to negotiate. I used acceptances at T30 schools to negotiate a far higher scholarship at GULC; this was around March.

Post removed...

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:15 pm
by tvu
Post removed...

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:28 pm
by PoopNpants
tvu wrote:
Big Dog wrote:some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/51_gradu ... _test.html


This is kind of good news (a bit sad)....I'm wondering how this cycle will compare to others since the number of people taking the LSAT and applying has increased.

Anybody here re-taking in December?


Yeah I am. AA male 167/168. I doubt this cycle will be that much different than the past 3-4 years even tho they is a slight uptick in LSAT takers

Post removed...

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:34 pm
by tvu
Post removed...

REMOVED

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm
by rfhassan
REMOVED

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:16 pm
by PoopNpants
tvu wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
Big Dog wrote:some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/51_gradu ... _test.html


This is kind of good news (a bit sad)....I'm wondering how this cycle will compare to others since the number of people taking the LSAT and applying has increased.

Anybody here re-taking in December?


Yeah I am. AA male 167/168. I doubt this cycle will be that much different than the past 3-4 years even tho they is a slight uptick in LSAT takers


Wow, that's a very good score. I'm hoping December will help me get me over the 170 hump....is it the same for you?
I'm so worried b/c my score is fluctuating quite a bit, that I don't know how it will go. :(


Yeah my PTs really fluctuate depending on RC, been anywhere between 169-175 past few weeks. my lsat is good but my GPA sucks (3.1) so I hope I can do well in 2 weeks

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 pm
by jnwa
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
Big Dog wrote:some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/51_gradu ... _test.html


This is kind of good news (a bit sad)....I'm wondering how this cycle will compare to others since the number of people taking the LSAT and applying has increased.

Anybody here re-taking in December?


Yeah I am. AA male 167/168. I doubt this cycle will be that much different than the past 3-4 years even tho they is a slight uptick in LSAT takers


Wow, that's a very good score. I'm hoping December will help me get me over the 170 hump....is it the same for you?
I'm so worried b/c my score is fluctuating quite a bit, that I don't know how it will go. :(


Yeah my PTs really fluctuate depending on RC, been anywhere between 169-175 past few weeks. my lsat is good but my GPA sucks (3.1) so I hope I can do well in 2 weeks


AA male here as well with a similar GPA and 173 lsat. I wish i chose to rewrite in december ..i ptd a 177 a couple of days ago just to see where i was in case i wanted to rewrite in february. I feel like i could get close to a 180 for december. I honestly just zoned out on one of the reading comp passages or i would have done it.

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:25 pm
by PoopNpants
jnwa wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
Big Dog wrote:some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/51_gradu ... _test.html


This is kind of good news (a bit sad)....I'm wondering how this cycle will compare to others since the number of people taking the LSAT and applying has increased.

Anybody here re-taking in December?


Yeah I am. AA male 167/168. I doubt this cycle will be that much different than the past 3-4 years even tho they is a slight uptick in LSAT takers


Wow, that's a very good score. I'm hoping December will help me get me over the 170 hump....is it the same for you?
I'm so worried b/c my score is fluctuating quite a bit, that I don't know how it will go. :(


Yeah my PTs really fluctuate depending on RC, been anywhere between 169-175 past few weeks. my lsat is good but my GPA sucks (3.1) so I hope I can do well in 2 weeks


AA male here as well with a similar GPA and 173 lsat. I wish i chose to rewrite in december ..i ptd a 177 a couple of days ago just to see where i was in case i wanted to rewrite in february. I feel like i could get close to a 180 for december. I honestly just zoned out on one of the reading comp passages or i would have done it.


Thats dope congrats on the 173. I know what you mean man, in the 170s the margin for error is very tiny, I'm pretty consistent on LR and LG for the most part, but I just can't get RC in that similar -2/3 for the life of me. I had back to back RC sections in October too that really sucked. I think an AA male with a 173 will have plenty of great options tho, although there is no harm in re-taking

Post removed...

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:39 pm
by tvu
Post removed...

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:46 pm
by jnwa
tvu wrote:Congrats on the score!! You're definitely a unicorn and will be having an amazing cycle....there's always February for a retake but I am sure, in your case you might only need it for scholarships. What's your top choice?
(


Seems like the most realistic best case scenario would be NYU with a full ride, Harvard would be tempting as well if i got in but i dont think im rich enough to pay sticker or sticker minus need aid anywhere.

Post removed...

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:53 pm
by velvet-lou
Post removed...