Should I still take the lsat? URM Black Male

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
quinnmittens

Should I still take the lsat? URM Black Male

Postby quinnmittens » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 pm

So I have been studying for awhile for the lsat. My diagnostic score was a 139 and the highest score that I have received when taking practice test was a 157. I generally score between 152-155. I want to receive at lest a 160, but this test is starting to consume my life and I have no social life now.

I have been studying since March. I quit my job as a Part-Time Model for Ford Models to study for this test so I can barely pay my bills and my student loan. I have to rely on my parents for that and they are starting to get annoyed.

I want to apply to law school this cycle so I can get back to work until I attend next fall (if I get in). My goal is to get admitted to a T14, preferably Georgetown. I am a black male and I hear that this is a boost for us, but I don't know how much of a boost it is and I can't rely on that. I think a score in the 150s is hard to compete with people in the 160s and 170s.

I believe I have strong softs (congressional internships, interned in D.C., worked with politicians and mayors, interned for a law firm, graduated with an above 3.5 GPA, Top 20% in my graduating class at a Top Ten public university, involved in student government and other clubs, athlete, volunteered for Obama's presidential campaign, community service and a couple of other things).

Should I study for another two months and take the test in December or take the test this weekend and hope for the best?

Br3v

Re: Should I still take the lsat? URM Black Male

Postby Br3v » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 pm

quinnmittens wrote:So I have been studying for awhile for the lsat. My diagnostic score was a 139 and the highest score that I have received when taking practice test was a 157. I generally score between 152-155. I want to receive at lest a 160, but this test is starting to consume my life and I have no social life now.

I have been studying since March. I quit my job as a Part-Time Model for Ford Models to study for this test so I can barely pay my bills and my student loan. I have to rely on my parents for that and they are starting to get annoyed.

I want to apply to law school this cycle so I can get back to work until I attend next fall (if I get in). My goal is to get admitted to a T14, preferably Georgetown. I am a black male and I hear that this is a boost for us, but I don't know how much of a boost it is and I can't rely on that. I think a score in the 150s is hard to compete with people in the 160s and 170s.

I believe I have strong softs (congressional internships, interned in D.C., worked with politicians and mayors, interned for a law firm, graduated with an above 3.5 GPA, Top 20% in my graduating class at a Top Ten public university, involved in student government and other clubs, athlete, volunteered for Obama's presidential campaign, community service and a couple of other things).

Should I study for another two months and take the test in December or take the test this weekend and hope for the best?

Probably hold off. Take your average score on practice tests, add 5 and subtract 5 and that 10 point range is probably where your score will fall on the real test.

Think look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com
How do people with your score and gpa do for schools your interested in?

You should NOT go into the test if you don't feel conifident. And the whole "no social life thing", will only get worse in law school so if you personally think it would be a determining factor you should consider that.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:14 pm

You need to take a prep class (not Kaplan) and depending on how that goes you may want to consider a tutor. And from one Black male (currently attending a top 14) to another, don't get too wrapped up in the idea of a top 14. Especially when the top 14 you're talking about is Georgetown. Consider the idea of lower ranked (but still of reasonable quality) schools that you could attend for free. Top 14 is a good goal, but barely getting in to one with no scholarship money is nothing to write home about. Keep that in mind.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Lower 160's gets you into Georgetown. 165 plus gets you into a lot of better schools with money. You are not an idiot, your making the same mistakes on your practice tests. Identify what mistakes your making, and make sure you don't repeat them. You, my friend, are in a position of control. Someone like you with a 3.5 GPA can control their destiny by doing well on the LSAT. If your GPA was shitty you'd have limits no matter how well you did. Lastly, the advantage you get from a high LSAT will trump applying early. If you take the test this week you will score around your range, and I think most people can do better than that once they learn the test. Full disclosure: I scored a 165 on December 2011, and am applying this cycle.

quinnmittens

Postby quinnmittens » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:07 pm

BruceWayne wrote:You need to take a prep class (not Kaplan) and depending on how that goes you may want to consider a tutor. And from one Black male (currently attending a top 14) to another, don't get too wrapped up in the idea of a top 14. Especially when the top 14 you're talking about is Georgetown. Consider the idea of lower ranked (but still of reasonable quality) schools that you could attend for free. Top 14 is a good goal, but barely getting in to one with no scholarship money is nothing to write home about. Keep that in mind.

I did take a prep course. I should ask for my money back. I guess I am slightly naive, but I want to go GT because of its in Washington D.C. which is where I want to work after law school. I don't know if a school in the Top 30 will get me there besides a few.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:18 pm

quinnmittens wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You need to take a prep class (not Kaplan) and depending on how that goes you may want to consider a tutor. And from one Black male (currently attending a top 14) to another, don't get too wrapped up in the idea of a top 14. Especially when the top 14 you're talking about is Georgetown. Consider the idea of lower ranked (but still of reasonable quality) schools that you could attend for free. Top 14 is a good goal, but barely getting in to one with no scholarship money is nothing to write home about. Keep that in mind.

I did take a prep course. I should ask for my money back. I guess I am slightly naive, but I want to go GT because of its in Washington D.C. which is where I want to work after law school. I don't know if a school in the Top 30 will get me there besides a few.

Everyone is going to tell you to wait until December. If you can identify your weaknesses then your score should go up by then. How many are you getting wrong on each section?

quinnmittens

Postby quinnmittens » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Manhattanman wrote:
quinnmittens wrote:

Everyone is going to tell you to wait until December. If you can identify your weaknesses then your score should go up by then. How many are you getting wrong on each section?

These are the numbers of correct answers I get
Reading Comp: 16-18
Logical Reasoning 15-20 (per section)
Games: I usually miss one or 2. But if I am confused about the set up, I may miss the entire game.

I feel like I really suck at this test.

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Go over your lr and see if there is a specific type of question you keep getting wrong. Assumption, conclusion, support, principle. Manhattan LSAT has a great LR book. LR is half the test, if your at 15-20 per section you need to tighten that up. Also, brush up on a list of logical fallacies, that will help you out on some questions. Two months is a enough time to right the ship. I know you said your studying is consuming your life, but it isn't how much you study as much as it is how you study. If you don't identify some mistake you have been making each time you have a session, your just going to keep scoring the same. I studied 2 hours a day mon-thur, but I learned from the questions that I got wrong. In summary, If you feel like you can benefit from the manhattan book then get it. Analyze the questions you get wrong. You should not move on until you know exactly why and what you messed up. Two months on smart focused study should get you in the 160 range. Good luck.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm

I guess I am slightly naive, but I want to go GT because of its in Washington D.C. which is where I want to work after law school. I don't know if a school in the Top 30 will get me there besides a few.

DC is a very hard market to break into, though of course it is possible, but be aware of that. GULC can certainly get you there, but some people go as far as saying anything outside of Harvard/Yale is as good as any other when it comes to breaking DC. Also, many on this site would argue against paying full price for GULC.

I feel like I really suck at this test.

No you don't. You are clearly smarter than a huge percentage of test takers who just blindly take the test with no research. You found your way to this site which means you are putting thought and time into what you need to accomplish to reach your goals. A positive atitude and focus will get you HUGE gains on this test. It is very learnable, and if you put dedication into it you will come out just fine.

As to improving, do as the poster above said and find what type of LR questions you are missing for one. Then drill those types of questions (ex. assumption, justify, etc). Good job on games, keep it up. And figure out where you are going wrong on RC and work towards fixing those mistakes.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:23 pm

quinnmittens wrote:

What company did you take for your prep course? Hire a qualified private tutor.

Frankly man, your chances of getting a firm job in DC from Georgetown are VERY slim. Slim to a point where if you want a DC firm, and you don't get into Harvard/Yale/Stanford, I would seriously just go to George Washington for free. Neither give you a good shot, but the ability to go there for free outweighs the still weak DC placement of Georgetown. If you're not talking about law firm work though, the calculus changes a little. Either way good luck with the LSAT.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”