3.4 / 163 / URM Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tectonic

New

3.4 / 163 / URM

Post by tectonic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 am

Hello all,

My LSDAS undergraduate GPA is 3.4 (at an Ivy).

I have taken the LSAT once, in June 2011, and scored a 163. (I decided not to apply in the 2011 cycle due to financial reasons.)

I am a Mexican-American male, the first in my immediate family to attend college.

By the time I submit applications this winter, I will have had 2.5 years work experience in the non-profit sector. My work requires me to carry a great deal of responsibility, entails public service (I work directly with students in low-income urban school districts on issues like college access, financial aid, academic preparation, etc), and has a legal aspect to it (securing low-cost legal representation for students, assisting lawyers in communicating with students and navigating cases).

My questions:
1. What schools would you all suggest that I target?
2. What are my chances at the following schools: NYU, UC Berkeley, Georgetown, Northwestern, Cornell, UCLA, USC?

FYI ... I am re-taking the LSAT in a couple of weeks. I've done considerable additional preparation since the last time I took the exam, so I am fairly optimistic that I will score higher this time around. Of course, nothing is ever certain. Your answers to the above will at least give me a good starting point for school selection, regardless of how I do in October.

That provokes a follow-up question: How would it affect my chances if I retook in December again? At that point, it would be my 3rd testing. Would it be worth it, if I felt I could better upon my October performance? Or would it be useless and too close to the application deadline?

PDaddy

Gold

Re: 3.4 / 163 / URM

Post by PDaddy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:19 am

I would blanket the T14 if I were you.

Your best shot schools are as follows: Columbia, Michigan, Penn, UVA, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, USC, Vandy, and Texas. Your chances at Berkeley and NYU are a little slimmer because they are GPA whores, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply to those schools. If you apply to the entire T14, I think you will be surprised. Some school at which you think you have a good shot will reject you, and a school you never thought would want you will admit or waitlist you (HYS, CCN, MVP?)

I know a Mexican-American with your same credentials who got into Stanford, and he did it when the competition was much tougher (2008). As a matter of fact, yours are better. He came from a Cal St. school whereas you are from an Ivy.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:20 am

PDaddy wrote: I know a Mexican-American with your same credentials who got into Stanford, and he did it when the competition was much tougher (2008). As a matter of fact, yours are better. He came from a Cal St. school whereas you are from an Ivy.
WOW. How did he pull that off? Work experience? Scholar? Published writer? That's amazing.

tectonic

New

Post by tectonic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:21 am

Thanks P. That's extremely encouraging.

Follow-up question: what schools do you think would actually offer me scholarship money? Any? Or does my GPA preclude me from that?

Also, if anyone else wants to chime in with a second opinion, I'd love that.

tectonic

New

Post by tectonic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Bump.

Retook and scored a 167.

Also, while CAS hasn't received my transcripts yet, I have found that my GPA is probably actually going to be 3.3X rather than 3.4.

Anyone have any second opinions to offer?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
PDaddy wrote: I know a Mexican-American with your same credentials who got into Stanford, and he did it when the competition was much tougher (2008). As a matter of fact, yours are better. He came from a Cal St. school whereas you are from an Ivy.
WOW. How did he pull that off? Work experience? Scholar? Published writer? That's amazing.
I don't know. I believe his creds were 3.4X/164 with good softs and essays. I also never read his LOR's. The point is that it can be done.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Per request of OP, moved to URM forum.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”